Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Could This PC Run Warframe?

FinOCE

Question

I'm thinking of building a budget pc and wanted to see if I could play Warframe with the following build:

i3-6100 (possibly overclocked)

4gb 2133mhz DDR3

HD 530 Integrated Graphics

I want to know if I really need to buy a graphics card, because they are very expensive and I have been told that the ig aren't as bad as I think. I want to know how they run the game on low, medium and high settings to get an idea of what it is like in comparison to my laptop (i5-3337U, 8gb ram, gt 720m) which seems to get around 30-40fps on medium settings.

I want to upgrade as end-game gameplay results in severe lag. In The Index I'm getting >20fps once I'm fighting multiple enemies, and back up around 40fps when I'm away from them. If anyone knows or can test it out, please tell me, as with those parts, I could have the PC inc. shipping for $500AUD. (costs so much more is Australian dollars in comparison to USA dollars), which by the way is how much money I have atm, as I do not currently have a job.

Thanks.

8 answers to this question

I've ben running Warframe on my Surface Pro 3 with Intel HD 4400 and 8GB of RAM. That was with absolutely minimum settings. If there was an option for it, it was either turned off or all the way down. That was a year ago though. It was playable enough to do alerts and sorties while away from home, but it did involve a fair amount of FPS drops.
As far as I can see, the HD 530 should be better than the HD 4400, so it should work be workable.

I dug into it a bit, and did some comparisons here:
http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-HD-530-Desktop-Skylake-vs-Group-/m33102vs10

It seems that you're better of buying just about any GFX than running with the HD 530.
A GTX460 will be just about twice as good as the HD 530. Found one on eBay for about 50 aussie money.

So in short, HD 530 should work, but I'm skeptical about what kind of FPS you'll get.

I used to run WF on a GTX260 that gave me graphics like Lego blocks but with acceptable FPS.

I'd recommend saving up a little bit longer if you can.  

8GB ram and perhaps a GTX1050ti would probably give you a decent experience with Warframe.  The game itself isn't so demanding, so the GTX1050ti should let you run at a nice framerate with medium to high settings.  (depends on what resolution you're running too.)  Cards like the GTX1060 or RX480 would provide an even better experience obviously, but on a minimum budget the GTX1050ti seems quite good.  You can also check out the RX460 or RX470 from AMD.  Personally I wouldn't get any of the newer GPUs that are being sold with less than 4GB VRam, as you'll probably want to play other games and most likely on at least a 1080p screen?

Good luck with your upgrade.  =)

I think you could run it. However probably not on the better settings. However, if you are looking for a solid budget build. here is mine, and althought budget and wallet friendly, it performs amazingly, and even runs autocad/autodesk which is another reason i built it

AMD-6300 6core 3.50ghz not overclocked atm, but very capable of doing so
2 sticks of 4gb ram, something cheap
240gb PNY SSD
500gb HDD
Sapphire Radeon r7 260x
Window 8.1 and Ubunto OS's
Cheap full tower
Got it all a year ago for about 500$. Nowadays the cpu and gpu are even cheaper

As you can see, a AMD build. I used to be an intel guy as years ago i recal amd's running hotter and such. However this build has changed me for good i believe

As far as Warframe. I can run with all the high settings, and maintain 60fps. Only time i ever lag is due to my shoddy internet connection

Hope this helps

-CCamp88

EDIT I would deffinately go ahead and get a 2nd stick of ram, or just 1 8gb. Nowadays everything is going to 64 bit, and having 8gb is pretty much the minimum. 4 gb of ram would, im pretty certain, be your bottleneck with that build

ALSO here is some info i posted a few days ago in a FPS improvment thread Here

"I use a sapphire radeon r7 260x 2g and can play with the highest settings. Its a pretty cheap graphics card. However, Im pretty sure its not so much your graphics card with warframe as it is your ram and cpu. I use a amd 6300 3.5ghz 6 core cpu, and  8 gb ram.   All in all a pretty budget build that performs very well. Nothing over clocked, allthough the cpu and gpu mentioned can be overclocked very well.   As mentioned i play with the highest graphic settings with very little, if ever fps drop.

I was doing some graphics setting tweaking in warframe last night actually. As far as they go, the best thing to turn off if you need FPS are.. vertical sync, this will actually limit your fps at times so that you dont get screen tearing (top and bottom of screen may be misaligned horrizontally, especially noticed when turning quickly) and anti aliasing. These two will impact performance the most. However you still may want to turn off all your other options  in settings and others to low. Most of those genereally dont affect fps too much. 

Anywho, hope this helps

-CCamp88

EDIT: Here is a decent link that may help you out and give some insite *Graphic Settings, what are they?*

Also, there are many factors, but just a quick glance at your rig, i would say that your ram is definitely your bottle neck. You may want to try increasing your Virtual RAM for additional performance. May not guarantee it helps in warframe, but you will likely notice improvement else where for sur"

Edited by CCamp88

i'd expect definitely worse performance compared to your laptop, ig are horrible for gaming and while the processor is better with that little ram it's not going to run the game well (if at all, i'd think you'd need at least six gb of ram on every 64bit sistem) , i'd hold on to your laptop if that's what you can get, seems to me like it's not an upgrade at all

28 minutes ago, CCamp88 said:

240gb PNY SSD

Why use a ssd on a budget build? it does help with boot speed and autocad/desk in your case but i'd think that a better graphic card would net more performance on average.

Edited by bl4ckhunter

4 minutes ago, bl4ckhunter said:

Why use a ssd on a budget build? it does help with boot speed and autocad/desk in your case but i'd think that a better graphic card would net more performance on average.

At the time it was on sale for a good deal. ;-)  50$ ish
Its nice for bootup and such but as far as the game no performance inhancement really.
The startup times is sooooooo nice.
But yeah you could skip it.  That just happened to be my build.

Once you go SSD, you never go back... not for running your OS anyways :-P

Edited by CCamp88

From direct experience i can state that 4gb of system ram is not enough anymore for warframe even at low settings. It will use it all to the point that you can't have anything else open at the same time like a browser or else and once you close warframe the rest of your system would be forced to a crawl as its repopulating the memory from disk. Go with 6 or 8gb.

Again from experience, i can tell that a 750ti (less that 100 bucks right now i hope) is enough for maxed 1080p 60fps stable. I OC'd both the gpu and my monitor and now im gaming at 1080p 75hz feelsgoodman.

So i would say that the system you showed is not capable to deliver an enjoyable performance level mostly due to the low ram and the gpu and i also feel weird that it costs so much for such low specs.

On the cpu side i think it would barely be ok but get a dam quadcore if possible.