Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dedicated Server Hosting Guide

MichelPostma

Question

Hey all, 

Now the Dedicated Servers have been up and running for a while, you may be interested in setting one up yourself. Especially since the host score that you receive may bring you something special in the future ;)

Now you don't have to be an expert in servers or work at a tech shop in order to do this, everyone can host a dedicate pvp server for Warframe. This doesn't mean everyone should, especially if your specs aren't too good, you may rather want to use the resources for your own game play experience. 

Anyway, if you're interested in setting up a server, I've made a quick video guide as to how to do it: https://youtu.be/vt8Iv80o_4w

I've made this video a week ago, but only decided to share it now as I've double checked a few things. 

1. You can run Warframe whilst winning the server, but if you shut down the game and want to play it again, the easiest way is to install the standalone game from the website besides your steam version. 

2. Putting your PC to sleep will in many cases turn off your server. So don't if you want to keep the server running and make sure you don't accidentally type anything in the command window. 

Besides that I hope I've helped those of you who want to set up a server, but dont quite yet know how to, but if you still have some questions, feel free to post down below or in the comment section. 

Greetings

~B

7 answers to this question

That's pretty interesting, but still, i have some questions :

What specs does your PC needs in order to create a dedicated server ?

And how do you turn off the server ? Just close the window ? But if there are players on it, they'll suffer a host migration right ?

At the moment there are no criteria, anyone can host a server as long as they have a windows machine (or windows simulating machine) with the latest version of Warframe on it and an active Internet connection. However, if you feel like it's taking a toll on your computer and internet, I would personally advise not to continue hosting as it will affect your own game play badly and your server probably won't be very good. 

At the moment there is no safe way to shut down the server, even though it's something I highly strive for (as you can see in my feedback post (link)). You will just have to close the window or type in command. Like so you will have people on your server host migrating, so they'll have to cope with that or you will have to check on your command to see whether a match is on (you can see this!) and wait for it to end before shutting down

Edited by InglriousB

Ha! Decided to leave a server running overnight and was digging for info and came across this fresh thread. Thanks so much for the video dude! Got a dumb question because networking really isn't my forte: I'm seeing quite a few 'NAT bound for server to [IP address]' messages, with the occasional 'updating session (heartbeat)' and 'SendSessionUpdate: updating sessionId: [string of numbers] with params:' messages in there too. Am I all good to go or should I be forwarding any ports in my router?

Thanks again for posting up the tutorial, really awesome of you <3