Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

De: Please Improve The Dodge Maneuver (Redesign Suggestions In Op)

MJ12

Right now, there are three ways to avoid damage (besides killing everything that can hurt you).

1. Hiding behind a box like a coward

2. Blocking

3. Dodging

Of these, blocking is horrible and dodging is almost as bad. The one thing that dodge lets you do is avoid stagger... well if you trigger it before you get staggered. But there's plenty of threads on blocking and how it needs massive improvements (my opinion would be to make it give total immunity to attacks in a cone while active, it doesn't last very long and you sacrifice your ability to attack).

So let's talk about the dodge move. Right now the dodge roll is:

1. Slow

2. Weak-looking

3. Gives no invulnerability frames, which is the only reason to use the wimpy dodge rolls in games like Mass Effect 3.

This combines to make dodge-rolling useful only because it's marginally faster than walking and not altered by the speed of your Warframe, thus you can get places faster by chaining dodgerolls if you're a slow frame like Rhino or Frost. But wait a minute, you'll ask, wouldn't slide-canceling or wallrun cancels get you to your destination even faster?

Yes, I'll say. So dodgerolls are even more useless.

Paradoxically, because while you're dodging you're not invulnerable or even resistant to damage, it means that against, say, Grineer, or any attackers who don't lock their targeting in early in their animation (Ancients were bugged about this for a few updates, Scorpions right now thankfully do), dodgerolling is worse than useless, it is actively better to not dodge than it is to dodge attacks, as while not dodging you take the same amount of damage while being able to fight back. Only against Infested Chargers is dodging worthwhile (you can evade Ancients without using the dodge move, or cancel their attacks via staggering them) and that's only because of their crappy random stagger chance, which is a bad mechanic. If it gets taken out, dodgerolling becomes even more useless.

I have never seen an attack where dodging is more effective than moving backwards while attacking. This is terrible. Dodging exists in this game, it should have a use. Ideally, it should provide protection at least equal or superior to hiding behind boxes, trading off the fact that hiding behind a box is easier than dodging well (higher skill floor) for the fact that using dodging will allow a character to retain mobility and unlike cover use, is effective against melee attackers and flanking enemies.

Okay, so now I've said why dodging is useless, let me say how I think it should be improved:

All Warframes should have a unique (or at least semi-unique) dodge move which gives them personality. This dodge move will, at a minimum, always provide a brief moment of invulnerability at the start. Dodges will generally be separated into three types of dodge:

1. Defensive: Defensive dodges are pure defense. They last a while, they provide a relatively long period of invulnerability, and generally have minimal other benefits. Dependent on their animation length, their stamina cost may be extremely high (for example, a long-lasting teleport or invisibility with a long invulnerability period would probably cost your entire stamina bar).

2. Offensive: Offensive dodges have some sort of offensive benefit. They have the shortest invulnerability duration of all dodge maneuvers (only a few frames towards the start) but either deal damage, enemy debuffs, or provide some other form of offensive benefit. Offensive dodge damage should scale with either equipped weapons or Warframe level, to keep it useful from the early game to the late game.

3. Mobility: Mobility dodges aren't as defensive as defensive dodges but execute extremely quickly, allowing them to be chained to move around much quicker than normal. Mobility dodges also have the lowest stamina cost and the fastest cooldown, allowing them to be used for moving around.

Dodging repeatedly in a short period will reduce the window of invulnerability, to prevent dodge spamming. This will reset after a certain amount of time wherein the player neither dodges nor takes damage. This means that poorly timed dodges will eventually reduce the dodge move's usefulness to nothing in terms of defense (although you can still use them for acrobatics). Dodges will also take significant stamina to use, as to further prevent spamming. This is a fairly obvious thing they should do given that they're massively more useful.

Examples of these dodges for all currently released Warframes are given below, to show you an idea of what this system might look like:

Ash
Evasion Type: Defensive
Evasion Name: Shadow Teleport
Description: Ash disappears into the shadows in a short-range teleport, leaving a cloud of smoke at his original position and reappearing a few meters away. This evasion move ignores intervening objects but not locked doors or other obstacles. If there is no valid position where Ash can appear, he appears as close as possible to the intended destination and his original position. Provides invulnerability for most of the dodge, although he is vulnerable while reappearing.

Banshee
Evasion Type: Offensive
Evasion Name: Concussive Burst
Description: Banshee flips away from an attack, amplifying the sound of her movements to create a short-range concussive blast that stuns enemies near her landing point. This deals minimal damage but staggers enemies. She is invulnerable for only the initial flip, and takes damage for the rest of the animation.

Ember
Evasion Name: Phoenix
Description: Ember leaves a burning husk of herself in her original position and reappears some distance from her previous position. When she reappears, the husk breaks apart into ash. This is not an actual teleport and thus does not ignore intervening objects and the like (unlike Ash's).

Excalibur
Evasion Name: Riposte
Description: Excalibur sidesteps an incoming attack at inhuman speeds, then responds with a normal melee attack from his currently equipped melee weapon. This deals damage equal to a normal melee attack. Excalibur is only invulnerable for a few frames at the very start of the animation.

Frost
Evasion Type: Mobility
Evasion Name: Ice Slide
Description: Frost freezes the ground underneath him and skates rapidly in the chosen direction. Frost is invulnerable for the start of the animation.

Loki
Evasion Type: Offensive (didn't see that one coming did you?)
Evasion Name: Patsy
Description: Loki teleports the nearest enemy within a small radius to his original position as he teleports away (uses similar rules, save invulnerability, to Ash's dodge). This enemy is momentarily rendered vulnerable to friendly fire, and enemies will still fire on Loki's original position for a fraction of a second after the dodge completes (shooting the patsy instead). Loki is not invulnerable during any of the animation, but enemies will not fire on him after the animation completes. If no enemy is within range, Loki simply teleports. This is a relatively 'slow' dodge to complete. Repeated use of Patsy reduces the interval that the patsy is targeted for.

Mag
Evasion Name: Attractor
Description: Mag magnetizes herself and the terrain in the direction she dodges in, rapidly attracting her to the nearest wall. For a brief moment, she can stand and walk on the wall, with this effect ending either after a few seconds or by canceling it (via another dodge or jumping off the wall).

Nyx
Evasion Name: Psychic Invisibility
Description: Nyx leaps away from her position and hides herself briefly from enemy detection via her psychic powers. This provides a very short period of invisibility. Repeated dodging reduces this invisibility period.

Rhino
Evasion Name: Skate
Description: Rhino rapidly slides in the chosen direction. Identical to Frost's move, with different visual effects.

Saryn
Evasion Name: Corrosive Mine
Description: Saryn flips in the direction she's told to evade in, leaving a toxic cloud in her original position that deals damage to enemies based on a percentage of their current HP and weakens their armor by 33% (flat reduction, so Grineer mediums will take 33% reduced damage instead of 67%, and so on).

Trinity
Evasion Name: Shield Overcharge
Description: Trinity overcharges her shields for a brief period of time, granting temporary invulnerability, as she leaps away from her original position.

Vauban
Evasion Name: Flashbang Mine
Description: Vauban drops a flashbang at his feet, then jumps away while covering his warframe's optical sensors. Enemies next to his original position are temporarily stunned.

Volt
Evasion Name: Lightning Speed
Description: Volt dodges in the chosen direction so quickly that he seems to leave afterimages in his wake. Brief invulnerability during the initial dodge. Volt has the fastest dodge move of all the Warframes and the lowest stamina cost, allowing him to chain his evasion move to rapidly move around (of course, with the progressive degradation of invulnerability frames this also makes him more vulnerable to attack).

Comments? Suggestions? Improvements?

Edited by MJ12

Wait, you can actually BLOCK?

Oh, nevermind.

Anyway, this idea sounds good. It would add another layer of "personality" and usefulness to the Warframe....But it'll probably get nerfed as soon as it gets implemented.

I'd be happy if they just added the I-frames in the dodge, even without the personalised effects and such.

EDIT: I don't agree on cooldowns, though. Dark Souls and Megaman games comes to mind. Make it consume more stamina per roll. If they added the crazy effects, make those consume power.

Just no cooldown punishing me for mistakenly using roll three seconds ago, and now I can't roll when I'm surrounded by three Ancients, waiting another 7 seconds for the cooldown to finish.

Edited by Shion963

Wait, you can actually BLOCK?

Oh, nevermind.

Anyway, this idea sounds good. It would add another layer of "personality" and usefulness to the Warframe....But it'll probably get nerfed as soon as it gets implemented.

I don't know, the idea is that it's not any stronger than hiding behind a box most of the time (the degradation of invulnerability and stamina cost means you can't spam it) but if you're good at dodging you can get the same defensive benefits of hiding behind a box + possibly some offensive or mobility-based benefits.

Less Gears of War, more Metal Gear Rising, if we're going with "Gears" comparisons.

I'd be happy if they just added the I-frames in the dodge, even without the personalised effects and such.

EDIT: I don't agree on cooldowns, though. Dark Souls and Megaman games comes to mind. Make it consume more stamina per roll. If they added the crazy effects, make those consume power.

Just no cooldown punishing me for mistakenly using roll three seconds ago, and now I can't roll when I'm surrounded by three Ancients, waiting another 7 seconds for the cooldown to finish.

Okay, let me explain what I mean by 'cooldowns' here because they don't actually prevent dodges. A dodge has a certain number of invulnerability frames (let's say 20 for this certain dodge). It has a cooldown, which is say, 2 seconds. If you roll once, that cooldown starts.

If you roll again during that cooldown, the invulnerability duration decreases slightly (to, say, 18 frames), and the cooldown resets to another 2 seconds. You can still dodge, but if you just spam dodge your dodges become progressively less defensive. If you can avoid damage and dodging for 2 seconds, your dodge resets and you get your full 20 invulnerability frames back for your next dodge.

They still get you away from your original position, though, even if their invulnerability duration is reduced to 0.

I agree with you totally block and dodge at this point in time are useless and add no dynamic play to the game yet they are just there with a push of a button with an animation,lol. I like MJ12 post if they had to play some Metal Gear Rising or DmC Devil May Cry it will take this game to a new level of pure awesomeness where I might have to sell my girlfriend and take sick days off from work so I can play 24/7 :) , If they can integrate some of the combat gameplay it will make the game more technical

I would settle with more accessible dodge mechanic. Why turning dodge into fifth ability? Lots of effects, calculations and features just to make you walk out of bullet's way? I simply cannot see it happening. Too much trouble. Plus, having yourself locked in animation (even for a split second), while being succeptible to damage is kind of the opposite thing to what you would expect out of DODGE. ME3MP has it, it doesn't feel good.

Poor Rhino just gets a Frost clone though. :(

Make him physically shove the enemies away. :V

That could work, although that might step on the toes of Rhino Charge (of course Rhino Charge is already a crappy clone of Slash Dash so.)

Like I said, ideally they'd be unique but having semi-unique dodges (similar effect, different animation) and a few general categories of dodge would work well enough to give all Warframes personality and more 'power', as it were. It allows skill-based (rather than mod-based) survivability in the open, which means you can get legitimately difficult content instead of just gear checks.

I would settle with more accessible dodge mechanic. Why turning dodge into fifth ability? Lots of effects, calculations and features just to make you walk out of bullet's way? I simply cannot see it happening. Too much trouble. Plus, having yourself locked in animation (even for a split second), while being succeptible to damage is kind of the opposite thing to what you would expect out of DODGE. ME3MP has it, it doesn't feel good.

This is a more accessible dodge mechanic, because it actually does something instead of existing just to annoy people who expect dodges to be valid defensive moves. Also, in general that's exactly how dodge moves work in games, dude.

They give you a brief moment of invulnerability at the cost of a recovery time (i.e. an animation), which means that you have to use them with a modicum of skill instead of just spamming them. ME3MP has it, and it works.

Because the more differentiated each Warframe is from each other the more interesting the gameplay is and the more replay value you get?

Awesome. I really like the idea of further differentiating warframes and giving them each their own individual flair. Also dodging does suck, these suggestions are really neat.

I would think vauban and excalibur's dodges might have to change a bit when there are no enemies nearby  or close enough for the effects to really make any difference. For example, if you are trying to dodge a sniper from across the room, riposte doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Mag's dodge is neat, though I don't see a whole lot of application for the wall sticking, and implementing such a feature would, I imagine, be way more trouble than it is worth. Being just pulled to the wall might be enough though.

I also foresee some of the flashier dodges being spammed just for the sake of annoying some people. Especially in low fps situations. 

Overall, some great ideas, I hope something like this gets implemented. Maybe some cool variations to make blocking actually worth it as well. In general, more "personality" to each frame would be awesome.

Not trying to spam, but i gotta laugh at the  "ways to avoid damage : Blocking"

Btw  I like your changes, a bit op and ambitious for each WF but they are nice. maybe it could be balanced by using energy too?

Well, I should have put a star on it. Like:

Blocking*

*(Only at the right moments)**

**(for approximately 3 seconds)***

***(you could have hidden behind a crate and killed all the enemies if you hadn't bothered to block)****

****(or you could have just sprinted away from the attackers)

Anyways are they OP? I don't think so, especially when considering they have costs unlike hiding behind/on top of a box (which I keep coming back to because it's a reliable method of avoiding damage that costs absolutely nothing except your dignity). Making them cost energy is a no-no, because then you get back to the 'dodging is of limited usefulness' and if that was to happen you'd want dodges to give you 100% invulnerability for their duration, at least. And that greatly reduces the skill requirement of a dodge.

Awesome. I really like the idea of further differentiating warframes and giving them each their own individual flair. Also dodging does suck, these suggestions are really neat.

I would think vauban and excalibur's dodges might have to change a bit when there are no enemies nearby  or close enough for the effects to really make any difference. For example, if you are trying to dodge a sniper from across the room, riposte doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Mag's dodge is neat, though I don't see a whole lot of application for the wall sticking, and implementing such a feature would, I imagine, be way more trouble than it is worth. Being just pulled to the wall might be enough though.

I also foresee some of the flashier dodges being spammed just for the sake of annoying some people. Especially in low fps situations. 

Overall, some great ideas, I hope something like this gets implemented. Maybe some cool variations to make blocking actually worth it as well. In general, more "personality" to each frame would be awesome.

Mag's dodge would ideally stick you to a wall a bit higher than normal height, the idea being that it'd give you a flanking position that negates enemy cover so you can shoot them, or jump off the wall and ninja-murder them. If you removed the 'can wallwalk' thing and made the animation just hanging onto the wall, you could use the current "ending vertical wallrun" animation so she just hangs on the wall for a bit until she jumps off.

Anyways, yes, people will possibly use them to annoy others but anything cool might do that. You could possibly put a limit on the number of effects they spawn (so if it's repeatedly spammed you'll just see them disappear and reappear or whatever) to fix that. Thanks for the feedback.

This is a more accessible dodge mechanic, because it actually does something instead of existing just to annoy people who expect dodges to be valid defensive moves. Also, in general that's exactly how dodge moves work in games, dude.

They give you a brief moment of invulnerability at the cost of a recovery time (i.e. an animation), which means that you have to use them with a modicum of skill instead of just spamming them. ME3MP has it, and it works.

Wow, wow, take it easy, "dude", the way you put stress on itallic frightens me... *_*

Anyway, By "accessible" I meant "easy to access", not something else you could make out of that (I don't know what). Like "press a button to quickly get out of where you currently are". At least, that is my understanding of dodge, not a lapdance on every roll. As is, I do more frustrating accidental rolls than actually intended ones, because we have the same button for roll and sprint. As for aimrolls, they require AIM in order to ROLL, which hits on the whole "reaction mechanic". It worked fine in Resident Evil 6 (and you have no i-frames there, you just evade the attack, but that's another game with another threats), as it didn't take any of your mobility afterwards and was generally quicker and more smooth. Here's another example - "Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning". You have to press ONE button and you spring out of harm's way the exact same moment. The distance is not that big and you have no invulnerability, but if you time your roll right, you get what you wanted - you avoided the attack by not being where it hit. This first roll has close to none recovery time, but if you do consequent one THEN you get longer getup animation. If you had no limits to your dodge, it would be cheap, if you had limits to your every dodge it would be broken. That is my point - why would you want to trade an escape for the escape and curtsey on every dodge? Why not let the dodge to be the dodge?

Wow, wow, take it easy, "dude", the way you put stress on itallic frightens me... *_*

Anyway, By "accessible" I meant "easy to access", not something else you could make out of that (I don't know what). Like "press a button to quickly get out of where you currently are". At least, that is my understanding of dodge, not a lapdance on every roll. As is, I do more frustrating accidental rolls than actually intended ones, because we have the same button for roll and sprint. As for aimrolls, they require AIM in order to ROLL, which hits on the whole "reaction mechanic". It worked fine in Resident Evil 6 (and you have no i-frames there, you just evade the attack, but that's another game with another threats), as it didn't take any of your mobility afterwards and was generally quicker and more smooth. Here's another example - "Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning". You have to press ONE button and you spring out of harm's way the exact same moment. The distance is not that big and you have no invulnerability, but if you time your roll right, you get what you wanted - you avoided the attack by not being where it hit. This first roll has close to none recovery time, but if you do consequent one THEN you get longer getup animation. If you had no limits to your dodge, it would be cheap, if you had limits to your every dodge it would be broken. That is my point - why would you want to trade an escape for the escape and curtsey on every dodge? Why not let the dodge to be the dodge?

I'll note that the two games you cite have attackers near-exclusively using melee attacks or slow projectiles with low refire rate and long travel times. A dodge with no invulnerability frames can work in those games, but when enemies have rapid-fire hitscan guns, that concept breaks down. There's a reason modern combat doesn't involve 'dodging' much, because they have really fast traveling rapid fire bullets you can't dodge. Third person shooters with enemies that have hitscan rapid-fire weapons generally give you invulnerability during dodge moves specifically because of that. You have to go way back to UT and its sequels to have shooters with dodge moves that lack invulnerability frames, except that the dodge move in UT2k4 was similarly useless (it literally just meant double-tapping a direction did a modified jump in that direction) and might as well have not existed.

Which is identical to the current state of dodging. Your point seems to be thinking that dodges without invulnerability frames and special abilities would be fine, but they are blatantly not (as the current system of dodging shows, even if you can execute them very reliably, which I can). They don't let you avoid any sort of damage.

And nothing is saying these "take your mobility afterwards", as part of the dodge you are invulnerable for a certain amount of time and then vulnerable for the rest of it. This is an important distinction. You seem to think what's happening is "you finish the dodge then you're stuck there doing a dance", which is not even slightly implied by my post.

And nothing is saying these "take your mobility afterwards", as part of the dodge you are invulnerable for a certain amount of time and then vulnerable for the rest of it. This is an important distinction. You seem to think what's happening is "you finish the dodge then you're stuck there doing a dance", which is not even slightly implied by my post.

"This deals minimal damage but staggers enemies. She is invulnerable for only the initial flip, and takes damage for the rest of the animation"

THIS is what caught my attention. Banshee's doing a dance! Taking damage for the rest of the animation. You see why I am so tormented by this?

As for the genre differences - you've made your point, I retract. But I stand my ground with ME3MP - any Drell knows that doing sideflip in front of two Marauders is a form of suicide.

"This deals minimal damage but staggers enemies. She is invulnerable for only the initial flip, and takes damage for the rest of the animation"

THIS is what caught my attention. Banshee's doing a dance! Taking damage for the rest of the animation. You see why I am so tormented by this?

Yes, the initial flip, i.e. the start of the animation. She flips, is in the air, lands, the shockwave goes off. For everything but the start of the animation she is not invulnerable. So it'd be just like the dodges you talk about in Kingdoms of Amalur or RE6 for the rest of the time. Where did you get the idea that this animation was going to be super-long? Remember, Vauban's grenade throws are also an 'animation', and those take like 1/4th of a second.

As for the genre differences - you've made your point, I retract. But I stand my ground with ME3MP - any Drell knows that doing sideflip in front of two Marauders is a form of suicide.

That's because the Drell has basically paper shields (a single Marauder can eat its shields in a single burst), not because of the dodge having an animation where you can take damage at certain points. There are other characters who are significantly less fragile but have better dodges, like the Cabal Vanguard and N7 Slayer, both of whom have really good dodges with lots of invulnerability frames. Dodging in ME3MP works really well, people do it all the time.

+1.  I think implimenting changes like this would help the game hew closer to its central theme.  By which I mean allowing the player to feel like a badass space ninja.

Having a "dodge" that doesn't actually help you dodge means you're failing in that mission.

Ditto with how long it takes to recover from stuns and knockdowns.  Taking several seconds to pick yourself off from the floor is not something that one would expect from a badass space ninja.  They'd be off the floor and back for more in a split second.  TL;DR - max handspring should be the starting point in recovery times, not the apex.

Suggestion for Rhino - maybe some combination of mobility and offense?  Like a quick clothsline or lariat that covers good distance while also knocking down humanoid opponents.

+1.  I think implimenting changes like this would help the game hew closer to its central theme.  By which I mean allowing the player to feel like a badass space ninja.

Having a "dodge" that doesn't actually help you dodge means you're failing in that mission.

Ditto with how long it takes to recover from stuns and knockdowns.  Taking several seconds to pick yourself off from the floor is not something that one would expect from a badass space ninja.  They'd be off the floor and back for more in a split second.  TL;DR - max handspring should be the starting point in recovery times, not the apex.

Suggestion for Rhino - maybe some combination of mobility and offense?  Like a quick clothsline or lariat that covers good distance while also knocking down humanoid opponents.

A sliding tackle, perhaps? Could work. Rhino was really the odd man out because its thematics don't lend themselves well to, well, dodging.

And a "dodge" move that is "I PARRY THE ROCKET WITH MY INVULNERABLE FACE" is awesome but has a few problems.

Edited by MJ12

A sliding tackle, perhaps? Could work. Rhino was really the odd man out because its thematics don't lend themselves well to, well, dodging.

And a "dodge" move that is "I PARRY THE ROCKET WITH MY INVULNERABLE FACE" is awesome but has a few problems.

Hmm.  I'm having trouble visualizing a sliding tackle.  How about a shoulder tackle?  The Rhino makes an aggressive lunge leading with his shoulder, rolling on the ground for one rotation before returning to his feet.  If an enemy is adjacent to the Rhino and in his way, they take damage and are stunned.

Or he could just parry rockets with his invulnerable face.  That works too.  Visually (since it has to work for things besides rockets), the Rhino beats his chest with manly bravado, taking greatly reduced dmg for a split second while simultaneously debuffing enemy damage in a large radius.

-snip-

3. Mobility: Mobility dodges aren't as defensive as defensive dodges but execute extremely quickly, allowing them to be chained to move around much quicker than normal. Mobility dodges also have the lowest stamina cost and the fastest cooldown, allowing them to be used for moving around.

-snip-

Frost

Evasion Name: Ice Slide

Description: Frost freezes the ground underneath him and skates rapidly in the chosen direction. Frost is invulnerable for the start of the animation.

-snip-

Rhino

Evasion Name: Skate

Description: Rhino rapidly slides in the chosen direction. Identical to Frost's move, with different visual effects.

-snip-

Volt

Evasion Name: Lightning Speed

Description: Volt dodges in the chosen direction so quickly that he seems to leave afterimages in his wake. Brief invulnerability during the initial dodge. Volt has the fastest dodge move of all the Warframes and the lowest stamina cost, allowing him to chain his evasion move to rapidly move around (of course, with the progressive degradation of invulnerability frames this also makes him more vulnerable to attack).

Comments? Suggestions? Improvements?

Although you raise a valid point; specifically the mobility ones make me wonder... They don't feel very balanced (you happen to like the Volt perhaps?).

Here is why; in your explanation of dodge types you seem to favor this type by saying it is the fastest, though with the lowest stamina cost (which is paradoxical on itself ;)) Then when we look at the actual mobility dodges, there are two identical ones which are only briefly explained and basically come down to a sprint slide, only without having to sprint and with invulnerability added. Apart from being meh compared to most others, it is kind of replaceable to both I would say, considering their other abilities. On the other hand we have the Volt with the faaaastest dodge in the game, swift movement at lowww stamina cost and it can specifically be chained infinitely on end! Well, that combined with the Volts Speed ability really humbles any rushing tactic that anyone can do... Perhaps a cloaked request for a Volt speed buff?

Regardless/more seriously/that being said, I do like the idea of making dodge (or even block) more useful and it would definitely add more depth to the frames to have each of them feature a unique move. But the above example just shows how important it is (and that it will take some effort) to come up with well balanced choices that are both fun and useful for every frame. But I am sure it'll be worth it :)

-edited for typos-

Edited by HypaH