Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Whole computer crashing on third cutscene of TWW

lolthesystem

Hello everyone,

I've been experiencing this "bug" since I arrived at the third cutscene of TWW. It goes as follows:

(LIGHT SPOILERS AHEAD!!!)

Whenever I approach the queen's chamber on the grineer fortress, right when the cutscene begins (I can see my operators face for a second) my whole computer crashes. Not just the game, the whole computer just stops working and I can hear a really fast sound loop. I need to restart the whole computer in order to do anything with it again.

It doesn't matter if I have been playing for hours before (even if I play other games) or just opened the game to do the mission, every single time the cutscene starts to play, the whole computer freezes.
I have tried playing other missions just to check out if it was the game pumping up my temperatures, but I could play for 2 hours straight without a hitch doing void relic runs after that, so it seems unlikely.

I had a similar issue starting from the third day of the Halloween event. Everytime I approached the jack o' naut, I experienced the same whole computer crash. The two days before that (there was a hotfix that day IIRC) I could play the event without a single problem.

I can play literally any other game without problems and none other has crashed my whole computer like that (even games like Dark Souls 3, Payday 2, a heavily modded Skyrim or DOOM).

My computer specs for reference:

Power Supply: Tacens Radix VI 650W
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
CPU: AMD FX 4100 (3.6 Ghz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 480 8gb GDDR5
Sound Card: ASUS Xonar D-KARA
RAM: 2 x 4gb Kingston DDR3 1333
O.S.: Windows 10 Professional 64 Bits
Hard Drive 1: Seagate 3,5" 7200 RPM 500gb (this is the where the O.S. is installed)
Hard Drive 2: Western Digital 2,5" 5400 RPM 500gb
Hard Drive 3: Seagate 3,5" 7200 RPM 500gb (this is where the game is installed)

All drivers are up to date and the hard drives are defragmented. The game's cache has been verified in Steam as well as from the Warframe launcher itself.

I don't really know what else to check on my computer as everything seems fine whenever the crash happens. Maybe I'll just wait for a new patch to come for the game.

Any ideas would be welcome!

Nevermind, I already fixed it.

Prior to doing so, this is what I tried:

Putting the game in Direct X 9, 32 bits mode (worse performance overall and didn't fix the problem)

Rolling back the GPU drivers from 16.11.3 (latest ones) to 16.9.2 (from 6 months ago). Didn't fix anything as well.

So how did I fix it? Lowering my GPU clocks (both the core and the memory clock). My FPS weren't impacted at all by this, I don't really know why.

For some reason, Warframe just froze my PC at the same point every single time until I lowered them to stock AMD values (the GPU I have comes with a built-in OC from factory that is stable for every single game, but Warframe).
For reference's sake, my GPU comes with a 1266 core clock speed and 2000 memory clock speed. Lowering the Core Clock to 1120 and the Memory Clock to 1800 solved the issue completely.

I don't really know why it made it freeze before as this seems like a memory leak (on DE's part or AMD's part, I'm not sure about that). In my humble experience, it seems like the game tries to render A LOT of things at once and makes the GPU clocks go crazy (thus, making the whole computer crash in order to prevent further damage).

If anyone has the same kind of issue, try what I just said. You might find yourself lucky as well!

Warframe crashed because the factory OC isn't stable. If your card is under warranty, you're eligible to RMA it. Not sure you should do that, but it's an option.

How hardware is loaded differs from program to program. Your card might be stable for 99% of what you use it for and then out of the blue everything crashes within seconds when your run program X. This is why OC testing requires a lot of time and trial and error. Manufacturers can't afford to do this with every single card they sell. They work within margins of error and plug in frequencies that they have found to be "safe" through prior testing for most of the GPUs they sell as overclocked.

Edited by cx-dave

Thanks for your respone, Dave.

I don't plan on doing an RMA yet, as it seems like something really strange to happen and easily fixable by myself. If it happens with more games in the future, then I won't hesitate sending it (it still has almost 2 years of warranty), just in case something is really effed up.

I've lowered the maximum core clock to 1120 just in case that some future problems could arise again and seems to be working flawlessly.
The Memory Clock seems to be doing fine with 2000 for now, but I don't discard lowering it again to 1800 if I find any more problems.

10 hours ago, lolthesystem said:

I don't plan on doing an RMA yet, as it seems like something really strange to happen and easily fixable by myself. If it happens with more games in the future, then I won't hesitate sending it (it still has almost 2 years of warranty), just in case something is really effed up.

Hi, 

I wouldn't RMA it either if it was my card. Looks like you found a solution that you're happy with. Enjoy the game without crashing :)

Edited by cx-dave