Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Minimum requirements -- Are they set in stone?

ServareVitas

So when a new game comes out most people tend to look at the specs to see if they can run the said game. There is usually "minimum requirements" and "recommended requirements". My question is just how accurate are minimum requirements and do they really mean *absolute* minimum?

The reason I ask is that I want to get Dishonored 2 and according to 3 different sites that have scanned my hardware all my specs are a green light apart from my processor except the difference between my current processor and the minimum recommended processor is very very small:-

What it states as minimum - Intel Core i5 2400
What I have - Intel Core i5 2320 @ 3.0GHz

According to game debate my CPU is at 97% of what is required to meet minimum. It's 3% short, this seems tiny to me but I just don't know.

So does it really mean I can't run it based on the fact my processor is a few points under minimum because the minimum requirements are absolute set in stone total minimum or is it a bit of a grey guideline with a tiny bit of leeway? I have no problem running it in a 600x480 windowed box on lowest settings with shadows, anti-aliasing and every effect imaginable turned off with a gamebooster app in the background if that's what it takes. I'm not bothered by pretty as long as I can experience gameplay and story.

Thanks for your time guys

They aren't set in stone. My main computer has 1.9Ghz and it ran Warframe fine. With Intel HD 4000 Graphics mind you. i3 not 5 processor.

I say "ran" since lately it slowed down...because a little bit over half of my computer is fragmented...62%

On 01/12/2016 at 2:36 AM, AerinSol said:

They aren't set in stone. My main computer has 1.9Ghz and it ran Warframe fine. With Intel HD 4000 Graphics mind you. i3 not 5 processor.

I say "ran" since lately it slowed down...because a little bit over half of my computer is fragmented...62%

According to game debate my 8GB RAM is obviously compliant with 8GB minimum and regarding graphics I'm "128%" with my 4GB card over the 2GB recommended but my 2320 processor and the 2400 recommended is 3% under.... Just dunno if it will boot up or not :/

On 12/3/2016 at 6:55 AM, ServareVitas said:

According to game debate my 8GB RAM is obviously compliant with 8GB minimum and regarding graphics I'm "128%" with my 4GB card over the 2GB recommended but my 2320 processor and the 2400 recommended is 3% under.... Just dunno if it will boot up or not :/

Obviously it's gonna boot up just fine. The vast majority of games don't impose their minimum system requirements.

That said, unless something's changed since release Dishonored 2 runs like crap on everything.

3 minutes ago, Jeffrey94 said:

Obviously it's gonna boot up just fine. The vast majority of games don't impose their minimum system requirements.

That said, unless something's changed since release Dishonored 2 runs like crap on everything.

Yeah, a lot of games don't run well at first launch. I have a mid-high end gaming laptop, (couldn't tell you the specs. Too lazy to get up and look at it. Runs warframe, skyrim, and basically anything I want it to on max everything graphically, with occasional lag spikes.) and it didn't run dark souls 3 very well when it first came out. But as they patched and such, things started running smoothly.