Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

TinyWall

NeoPitch

Question

Is there a way to make TinyWall play nice with the launcher?

Right now, with TinyWall on, the Launcher will launch, and then will show no connection.
At the same time, my internet dies.

According to the launcher logs, the launcher will delete the existing rules allowing launcher, the exe and x64.exe before adding its own rules that whitelist those three programs.

Tech support knows that its an issue but their answer seems to be: its a known issue, don't use TinyWall.

4 answers to this question

I think I may have found a solution (it worked for me at least) - applies to Windows Firewall
The solution I used was to create inbound and outbound rules for Launcher, and the x86 and x64 versions of the Warframe EXE files via the Group Policy Editor (Win7 x64)

1. Run the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc)

2. Under Computer Configuration > Security Settings > Windows Firewall with Advanced Security - Local Group Policy Object

3. Inbound Rules (& same for Outbound Rules)

Create 3 rules by choosing New Rule ... on the right side and go through the wizard options of:

Rule Type = Program
Program = "This program path:" C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Warframe\Warframe.x64.exe
Action: "Allow the connection"
Profile: Check all 3 options
Name: Enter a name for this new rule - I just used Warframe x64 or x86 or Launcher in both Outbound & Inbound rules
Finish

Once all 3 rules in both IN and OUT I started Warframe from its shortcut and the launcher didn't freak out or choke which was a sure sign (to me) that the rules were working.

I don't understand why TinyWall or Windows Firewall refuses to work when rules are created via TinyWall, but making these rules via Group Policy Editor made them stick.

Hope this helps others using TinyWall, which is a nice little app but clearly has some kinks to work out.

Screenshot: http://www.shareimages.com/image.php?84268-pJScl5qik5.sl5yVlqg-lgpe.png

Edited by The-Xennon

On 1.3.2017 at 6:02 AM, The-Xennon said:

I think I may have found a solution (it worked for me at least) - applies to Windows Firewall
The solution I used was to create inbound and outbound rules for Launcher, and the x86 and x64 versions of the Warframe EXE files via the Group Policy Editor (Win7 x64)

Following your post worked for me perfectly, thank you very much! You might want to double-check that screenshot link, though.

I don't think the issue is with TinyWall so much as the Warframe launcher itself. It tries to add these firewall rules even when it can connect perfectly well already.
So far, I haven't seen any other program do that, and it feels a bit wonky on the security side to me, especially since it's not an option you can turn off?

On 18/4/2017 at 1:31 AM, Nekkowe said:

You might want to double-check that screenshot link, though.

Glad it helped.

Yeah, it seems that the whole site is down atm.  Not sure if it's permanent or not, but hopefully the description is clear enough without it.