Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is this laptop good enough ?

Gremblin

Question

I am using this laptop and I am not sure if my memory fails me because I remember the last time I played Warframe I got a pretty good FPS. Now, it seems like I constantly get FPS drops, little annoying micro freezes. I should add that I replaced the HDD with a SSD. Getting all settings at low helps but not that much.

My OS is W10 Pro 64 bit. One thing I know is that last time I had W8 but if possible I would like to keep W10 cuz the drivers are kind of annoying to get for W8. I don't suppose it's because the OS is 64 bit so what do you think it is ?

I am thinking about a windows reinstall and I'm curious if going 32 bit will make a difference. Or maybe my laptop is not good enough and my memory failed me. I'm beginning to think that is the case.

EDIT: Apparently now it's easier to get W8 drivers so if you think W10 is the problem I suppose I can go W8.

Edited by Gremblin

1 answer to this question

I've not used that particular one, but I do have (or have had) several other Asus models with dedicated GPUS inside. The oldest - a G73 JH with Radeon HD 5870 still runs warframe acceptably -  but considering its nearly 6 years old, really shouldn't be used for gaming now.

Generally speaking laptop GPUS are mediocre for gaming up until you get to the point where nvidia were able to put binned desktop GPUS inside laptop mxm boards - the GTX 980 and now GTX 1060/1070/1080. I've had th chance to try the 980 1060/70 variants out and they're a big upgrade on my last laptop's GTX 880M.

I still get frame drops on the 880M so I'm going to guess it's just the inherent issue with older laptop GPUS. I'd suggest running MSI afterburner to check your cpu/gpu usage and temperature as well as your fan speeds. Make sure you don't have thermal issues first, then if not I'm afraid it'll be the low horsepower on offer.