The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Making a roleplay discord

holysnir

Hello, warframe/role-play lovers.

I will be making a discord channel for roleplay purposes. the channel will be open and everyone (with my permission) could make his own channel, as well as a temporary voice channel for anyone who likes that.

only channels that will stay will be general channel and rules channel, where at rules i will put rules for the whole server and add rules on the way, and at general, everyone can ask for permission to make a new channel, and talk about the game itself.

*note* it doesn't have to be a serious RP, maybe if you just want to make a new story and have fun with it.

server link: Have fun!

Edited by holysnir

As someone who runs another Warframe RP Discord server for about four months now, I'd like to give you a little advice on running a Discord server, between admin to admin.

You should definitely make a server! My own server is very fun to be a part of, and I'm sure you'll enjoy your own server as well. With the usage of bots, and the upcoming updates Discord will have that will allow us to categorize our channels more easily among other things, the app's going to be very good for roleplaying in the future. Even now, it still is, and I feel it should be utilized much, much more for it. However, please keep in mind that it's a really, really risky idea to make it 100% public without some form of a safeguard, especially with the permissions you're giving.

Here's two reason why. Two stories, one being from my server, the other being from an old clan. For whatever reason, I accidentally deleted half of my post, so please bear with me until I can edit my stories back in.

First, the server:

Spoiler

My own server was public for a while. No requirements to get in, just be active and whatnot and you'll be fine. Now, granted, I made the even worse mistake of bringing it to Tumblr, but regardless, it's still taken to somewhere public. You'll never know what happens then.

There were three particular roleplayers that I had that had joined while the server was public. We are going to call them A, B, and C to prevent pointing out specific players. Now, A and B are a couple of roleplayers that had also been dating, and they had their own "hub" of sorts, that they had made as an attempt to cater to every single player, regardless of their faction alignments.

C, on the other hand, is a very experienced but bullheaded and stubborn roleplayer.

Now, what do these roleplayers have in common?

They started drama, with anyone and almost everyone on the server.

To begin the story of these three, I must focus on A and B first. These two had lobbied for more moderators for the server, and had repeatedly pushed for B, the boyfriend, to be promoted to moderator status, because at the time, it was just myself and a couple mods. While I didn't mind having more moderators, I felt that the amount that I had was enough, and that I didn't need any more. Also, I had felt that B wasn't very fit to become a moderator.

This made A and B very, very angry, because they had believed that their contributions to the server were enough to warrant moderator promotions. However, they were very dramatic, and often began fights with others when things didn't go their way. Now, with the news that they weren't going to attain promotions, they began to make passive-aggressive comments towards myself and the moderators at the time, both in-character and out-of-character, having their characters make snide remarks on our muses, regardless of whether or not they had met.

Now, with this, tied in with C's stubbornness, they had began to clash quite a bit, but not enough for moderators to step in and break the fighting. It wasn't until sometime in November when C had made a suggestion for the server. Initially, there was a very respectful discussion between C and the other roleplayers, and they were almost in complete agreement. However, A and B were having none of it, both because of their dislike of C, and because the suggestion would prevent them from using their "hub" that was mentioned before. A, B, and C began to fight, and it escalated enough whereas the three had to be banned.

As it had turned out, A and B had used their hub as a sabotage scheme in order to try and make my own server fail while they had set up their own server, gaining the interest of the other roleplayers on the server to join them, and to leave the server when they were banned in response for the supposed "unjust ruling" that the moderators and I had. When they had made rebuttal responses to me through DM's, they had repeatedly mentioned that a successful server doesn't have people leaving it after they joined, despite the fact that the only actual roleplayers who left were the roleplayers who were active in the hub that they had.

It was tough to bring my server back; after the argument, it had caused for the server to feel very, very awkward, and the mods and I began to become discouraged. However, through diligence and effort, we were able to give the server a friendlier, more welcoming attitude, and it has even became more successful than it was before.

TL;DR When you allow your server to be open, you are susceptible to having people such as A, B, or C come onto the server to start drama, which if things don't go their way, can cause your server to be sabotaged. In the case that it happens, please don't get discouraged. Things happen. Just keep your head up, and have faith in your server, and through time it'll heal.

Edited by MissMarifire
Apparently I somehow deleted half of my post. RIP.

57 minutes ago, MissMarifire said:

As someone who runs another Warframe RP Discord server for about four months now, I'd like to give you a little advice on running a Discord server, between admin to admin.

You should definitely make a server! My own server is very fun to be a part of, and I'm sure you'll enjoy your own server as well. With the usage of bots, and the upcoming updates Discord will have that will allow us to categorize our channels more easily among other things, the app's going to be very good for roleplaying in the future. Even now, it still is, and I feel it should be utilized much, much more for it. However, please keep in mind that it's a really, really risky idea to make it 100% public without some form of a safeguard, especially with the permissions you're giving.

Here's two reason why. Two stories, one being from my server, the other being from an old clan. For whatever reason, I accidentally deleted half of my post, so please bear with me until I can edit my stories back in.

First, the server:

Hide contents

My own server was public for a while. No requirements to get in, just be active and whatnot and you'll be fine. Now, granted, I made the even worse mistake of bringing it to Tumblr, but regardless, it's still taken to somewhere public. You'll never know what happens then.

There were three particular roleplayers that I had that had joined while the server was public. We are going to call them A, B, and C to prevent pointing out specific players. Now, A and B are a couple of roleplayers that had also been dating, and they had their own "hub" of sorts, that they had made as an attempt to cater to every single player, regardless of their faction alignments.

C, on the other hand, is a very experienced but bullheaded and stubborn roleplayer.

Now, what do these roleplayers have in common?

They started drama, with anyone and almost everyone on the server.

To begin the story of these three, I must focus on A and B first. These two had lobbied for more moderators for the server, and had repeatedly pushed for B, the boyfriend, to be promoted to moderator status, because at the time, it was just myself and a couple mods. While I didn't mind having more moderators, I felt that the amount that I had was enough, and that I didn't need any more. Also, I had felt that B wasn't very fit to become a moderator.

This made A and B very, very angry, because they had believed that their contributions to the server were enough to warrant moderator promotions. However, they were very dramatic, and often began fights with others when things didn't go their way. Now, with the news that they weren't going to attain promotions, they began to make passive-aggressive comments towards myself and the moderators at the time, both in-character and out-of-character, having their characters make snide remarks on our muses, regardless of whether or not they had met.

Now, with this, tied in with C's stubbornness, they had began to clash quite a bit, but not enough for moderators to step in and break the fighting. It wasn't until sometime in November when C had made a suggestion for the server. Initially, there was a very respectful discussion between C and the other roleplayers, and they were almost in complete agreement. However, A and B were having none of it, both because of their dislike of C, and because the suggestion would prevent them from using their "hub" that was mentioned before. A, B, and C began to fight, and it escalated enough whereas the three had to be banned.

As it had turned out, A and B had used their hub as a sabotage scheme in order to try and make my own server fail while they had set up their own server, gaining the interest of the other roleplayers on the server to join them, and to leave the server when they were banned in response for the supposed "unjust ruling" that the moderators and I had. When they had made rebuttal responses to me through DM's, they had repeatedly mentioned that a successful server doesn't have people leaving it after they joined, despite the fact that the only actual roleplayers who left were the roleplayers who were active in the hub that they had.

It was tough to bring my server back; after the argument, it had caused for the server to feel very, very awkward, and the mods and I began to become discouraged. However, through diligence and effort, we were able to give the server a friendlier, more welcoming attitude, and it has even became more successful than it was before.

TL;DR When you allow your server to be open, you are susceptible to having people such as A, B, or C come onto the server to start drama, which if things don't go their way, can cause your server to be sabotaged. In the case that it happens, please don't get discouraged. Things happen. Just keep your head up, and have faith in your server, and through time it'll heal.

i used to have a roleplay server on gmod once, i had some of these things, a$$holes that kept asking me for moderating.

the good thing was that my only moderator, knows how to handle with such things, how to bridge between me and them, and fix things. he taught me how to do so before he left.

i dont think there will be a lot of problems like that, but i can handle such things now.

thank you for reminding me of those situations.

BTW, could you help me set the server up? im quite new to discord and i dont know how to do every single thing there. any help would be appreciated.

Edited by holysnir