Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Bug? or just some strange riven mod math witchcraft

Its_CrimeTime

Question

Ok so I finished putting forma into my braton prime the other day so I could use the riven mod I have for it. Now that I'm using the riven I noticed that every so often my braton will just stop dealing damage completely. I'm not entirely sure if this is a bug or if it's some weird synergy between the riven and some other factor (possibly my kavat).

The build I'm using for my braton prime is: Serration, Split Chamber, Malignant Force, High Voltage, Stormbringer, Shred, Rifle Ammo Mutation, and my riven with the following stats (+86.8% status duration, +41.3% reload speed, +75.8% multi-shot, and -87.7% crit damage). 

I also run with my Smeeta kavat with a maxed Charm.

I'd be very greatful if someone could help me determine if this needs to be reported as a bug or it's some bad luck with rng.

2 answers to this question

By default the Braton Prime has 10% chance of 2x crits. Your Riven makes that a 10% chance of .25x crits (1/4th damage instead of double damage). The Smeeta can give you 30 seconds of guaranteed red crits, which are calculated using 2×(Crit Multiplier−1)+1 (red crits double the critical bonus, not the base damage). Because your crits already do less than base damage, this formula results in red crits dealing -.5 times your standard damage, which is treated as zero.

TL;DR: Don't use Charm with a riven that gives you sub-1x crit damage.

Edited by egregiousRac