Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volume automatically increasing/decreasing?

BoomyGordo

Question

Today i noticed that suddenly while playing the game volume would continuously increase till it sounded like master volume was at max setting and it would stay this way. But, if chrome(youtube videos, chatroom beep sound, any noise at all), or skype made noise (IE person calling or talking*) the volume instantly drops back down to what it is supposed to be.

this now seems to be happening across all games but 20 google searches later and everything tells me to set "communication settings" in audio options to "do nothing" (instead of lowering volume by 50/80%). This doesnt work since ive had that setting set since i first got my computer. One in region chat said it might be a game optimizer. I had razor cortex installed for a while but it hasnt done this before today. regardless i never saw improvement with cortex running so i uninstalled it and restarted my computer, no change.

Id like to play without blowing my ear drums out, having the game muted, or constantly listening to music on youtube to keep the game volume constant. anyone had this before or have any clue what i need to do to fix it? because im honestly stumped.

*note: in the skype call volume is only lowered when the other person in the call talks but not at any other point, infact the call volume also steadily increases as long as the other person isn't talking and then instantly resets when they do start talking. I have tripple checked skype settings and auto adjustment on my mic and speaker volume is still disabled as it has been since i first installed skype.

EDIT: i went through the warframe audio options and saw the "select audio output device" option. i switched it from "default" to my speakers and the audio instantly fell to normal levels. i DID NOT SAVE CHANGES. instead i switched it back to default and then saved changes. audio volume is staying stable despite effectively no changes being made. im now even more confused

Edited by --Laughing-Soul--

1 answer to this question

Seems more audio driver related than Warframe but I can give it my best shot.

So if you use Windows 10, sometimes happens on 7 too, there's this little annoying Realtek thing where something will glitch out and raise your volume all the way up even if you haven't set it any higher. When you saw it get stable by switching back and forth, you likely reset what you were listening from and it therefore stopped the problem for a moment.

I don't know exactly what it looks like on 10 but it should be similar, get to this and make sure:

243a05b4bf3b454dbb1620e461148038.png

1. Your headphones or speakers are set to default via right click and setting that. All programs will pick your default audio first, you probably know this.
  2. To disable all enhancements as shown and be sure to Apply afterwards.

Otherwise, from that same picture you can also try disabling or enabling "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" and "Give exclusive mode applications priority" to see if this also affects you. Be sure to apply then as well or you likely won't see a result. Anything you might've changed ingame under audio, you might want to set it back to default just to be certain.

Doing a clean reinstall of your audio drivers wouldn't hurt too via this link, assuming you use Realtek. If not, find what you have and replace it or try this. Also pick the bit (34-64x) that applies to you. If this all doesn't work, at least I tried and hopefully it was an idea. You could also try disabling / re-enabling or unplugging your audio cord (assuming it's not hardwired) and trying another audio jack or USB port if you have USB headphones like myself.

Hope you're able to find the solution.