The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Riven re-rolls are slot machines and I find it troubling

k05h

2 hours ago, Ryunokage said:

With regards to over saturation: Wouldn't the riven affinity system function as a safeguard against the power creep that you describe, more powerful weapons such as the tonkor have a weak riven affinity, vs more idiosyncratic weapons like the Stradavar have a strong affinity.

By oversaturation, I meant the # of rivens that would flood builds and markets consisting of god rolls, because the person I was debating this topic with proposed people can select what the rolls on their rivens are.

To which my retort was that if everyone got to choose what rolls were on their rivens, then the # of rivens with the multishot+damage buffs would become oversaturated. When they became oversaturated, DE would proceed to buff the enemy as a means to counter the oversaturation of god rolls. This would then lead to a divide; the falloff for weaker weapons becomes even greater against the now-buffed enemies. This causes rivens WITH GOD ROLLS exclusively to become absolutely essential on weaker weapons to makeup for that falloff and this sort of homogeneous system becoming essential  is counteractive to the point of rivens making weaker weapons viable.

As for stronger weapons with already faint dispositions, they would be affected less since they were already strong enough to hold their own against stronger enemies even without rivens, but it would become harder for them to do so.

Ergo, the oversaturation problem would actually be more of a nightmare for weapons with strong dispositions (aka weaker weapons) than it would be for weapons with faint dispositions (aka stronger weapons) if people were allowed to pick their own rolls; ergo causing the point of rivens (making weak weapons great again) to become moot.

Currently, thanks to the RNG-wall, it is hard to get god rolls on weaker weapons (god rolls are also god rare), which means it is not oversaturated and DE does not have to perform any sort of buff to enemies because simply enough people do not and cannot get god rolls for their weak weapons. This enable god rolls to truly be defined as such, "god" roll, with how they can tear through enemies. And rivens with non-god rolls also allows for other types of rolls to also be viable enough and allow for creativity under the current system.