Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hacking Warframe - Too Easy

Voidpunker

I'm not a legit hacker, not need to ban me :P

I must say, hacking in this game is too easy (the stupid hexagons, not the game itself). When you hack (in real life) you have a comfort zone - how far you can go with the knowledge you have. In this game it's a matter of speed. DE, the current hacking mechanic just will not work.

I shouldn't be able to hack 500+ consoles with only 3 failures. It's more of an annoyance than a challenge! But, of course, you can't make it too challenging since it's something that's required to be overcome in order to continue and you need to keep the game fast-paced. I've seen how various games approach hacking, and I have a few suggestions on how to make this system better.

In several games I've played, the hacking mechanic is only one way to proceed. For example: you can hack the security to open the door, you can pick the lock, you can pickpocket someone for the key, or you can blow the door open. I feel like DE should make hacking more of a challenge - and I don't mean that they should just add more hexagons! It should make you think! You should be able to learn from your failures and build up knowledge to help you with your next hack. Buying ciphers should be worth it!

Now, we have to visit a previously mentioned problem. This is a fast paced game, so the LAST thing the devs want is for you to be sitting around hacking a console for 5 minutes. That's another way I think hacking needs to be redone.

Don't make it mandatory.

When the enemy initiates lockdown, it should cut off your path so that you have a choice to make. You can either take a longer route (Just imagine the Lotus saying "recalculating" every time there's a lockdown :P), or you can hack the console and proceed.

Another option would be to make hacking a console shut off alarms and thus reduce the enemies' alert level.

Example:

1. Grineer sees you

2. He runs to nearest console and sets off the alarm

3. Everyone is alerted

4. You hack a console

5. Alertness decreased

6. Alertness continues to decrease the longer the alarms are off and you stay undetected

I feel like the second option would help add some stealth back into the game.

Anyway, I hope you guys get my point here - and I hope that DE seriously reconsiders how hacking is handled.

Amen!!! Yes please. I would love to actually feel like I'm hacking something. Now it just feels like the Grineer and Corpus have the IQ of a 2 year old, because I'm sure a 2 year old could just as easily figure out how to make the lines match -.-

I kinda like the current system honestly...while I see where OP is coming from, imo I am a Tenno. A race/frame dedicated to being badass and kicking everyone else's butt for lack of better terminology. My craft can fly me into any enemy territory undetected, so it stands to reason that hacking a console of the other races would be like child's play for the most part. Plus, while never spoken of during normal hacking (not talking about mobile defense) I had kinda assumed that the one doing the hacking was Lotus, I was just the fingers for her solution to the networks.

I think the one about the Lotus Recalculating paths would be a great one once the Mappers figure out a reliably consistent way of making branching paths.

Grineer blocks off an area from access? No matter, Lotus will simply give you a new course.

Agreed lets make it so only professors of science can hack in this GAME...

They should instead make hacking "challenging" like rest of the game :-

1. Make hacking require item X to solve.

2. Item X can be bought for 100 platinum, or can be crafted in foundry.

3. Crafting one should take 5 days.

4. Crafting ingredients should be items A, B and C, all three of which should have 0.00000000000000000001 % chance to drop from mob or locker.

About turning off the alarm to reduce the faction's alert state. They've already heard the alarm, and the gunfire, and the agonizing screams from the comrades they had lunch with not too long ago. Just because the alarm isn't on, doesn't mean they forget the Tenno are murdering them en masse.

Well there are some actual hard ones in the mastery test, they may show up in nightmare mode...I do agree. Have over like 400 without a single fail

Hard ones ? I would have called them "Normal Ones"

+1 to the idea of having hack actually mean something like turning down alertness levels and/or affecting stealth. 

+1 to the idea of having to take alternate routes 

+10 for the topic title :D 

Hacking has become sort of mandatory if you want to proceed. Some people just don't want to be bothered and kill stuff or rush. To me, it's just an abrupt change of pace, regardless of play style. 

About turning off the alarm to reduce the faction's alert state. They've already heard the alarm, and the gunfire, and the agonizing screams from the comrades they had lunch with not too long ago. Just because the alarm isn't on, doesn't mean they forget the Tenno are murdering them en masse.

Perhaps they assume that you've been killed?

But eventually Tenno will complete his mission, and leave ship/planet. You mean they keep on running around seeking for Tenno for eternity?

There's already at least 3 states: unalerted, alerted, actively seeking. First is when you just entered. Enemies patrol or stand around weapons lowered. Second is when enemies havent seen you yet and no alrm was raised but heard gunfire/found body they patrol areas with weapons up and/or taken cover but still can't detect you until they see you.

Last is "you've been spotted!" A whole level alert, they always know your location unless you are cloaked somehow. It's quite appropriate to make lvl 3 drop to level 2 in some cases by hacking. CUrrently you can't drop from 3.

Edited by Aedwynn

Perhaps they assume that you've been killed?

I'm sure if they took down a Tenno, the comms would be flaring up with requests for recovery and engineering teams. Medics for the wounded Grineer/corpus. And demands for medals. 

Dead silence is probably coming from...a whole lot of dead people.