Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Graphics Optimization

RedMonarch

Hey Warframe, I don't know what;s been going on since I joined ( back in march ) but back when I first started, this game ran smooth as butter and I could run every setting on except radial blur cause it gave me too much of a visual headspin ( no actual performance lost though). As updates have come to be added however, my game has begun to lag more and more, sometimes dipping to me seeing what looks like a frozen image, and changing to another frozen image about 6 seconds after, and it takes about 20 seconds for things to speed up again. I'd like to point out this is obviously frustrating, seeing as I used to be able to crank it at max. I've updated drivers, cleaned my computer, done just about every typical thing you can really do. No real change. 

-

So is there any form of graphics optimization in the works? Are you working with Nvidia to improve performance? ( their GeForce Experience sure doesn't detect and optimize the game yet)  

-

Actually, would you recommend any settings tweaking in the Nvidia control panel to maybe fix up any problems I might be having? In case you're curious, most of my lag comes on during defense and mobile defense missions. The first few waves are always fine, then it just goes downhill from there.

-

Anyone who has possible solutions, do please post them here. 

Well I can guarantee it's not a problem with the game itself or you would see a ton of people posting problems. One thing you can try right off the bat is with the launcher open go to the gear icon at the top and click the verify button in the settings.

Defense and Mobile Defense in general can be a lot more stressing on computers (especially if you're hosting for 4 people) so it's entirely possible that this is a chunk of the problem. Is there any way anything internet wise perhaps has changed as well? I've heard some people have performance issues if they are hosting and have low upload speed.

You might also want to check the temperature on your CPU/GPU while the game is running, perhaps there's something going on there.

Edited by plznohurtme

it's more than likely the temperature issue, I'm on a laptop with a cooling pad until I get a proper desktop which I'm currently working on. I just find it odd this game used to run amazingly 3-4 months ago and it's just been going downhill no matter what driver I update or anything. I do have a dedicated Nvidia card in case you were wondering, Nvidia GTX 540m, the weird thing is though my friend runs the same settings as me, which has pretty much gone down to everything on low, and he has a 640m , or maybe a 660m, i can't remember. he technically should have it better off then me. 

Laptops definitely bring a power situation into play. If you're comfortable setting up programs and fooling around with some stuff you can use MSI Afterburner with HWiNFO to show GPU/CPU information in an overlay while playing. You could set it to show CPU/GPU usage percentages and clock speed so while you're playing Warframe it would show up in the corner and when it slows down you could see if there's some sort of throttling going on where the GPU/CPU slow down etc.

this should have the latest afterburner versions: http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

this is the site for hwinfo: http://www.hwinfo.com/index.html

this shows the general setup for hwinfo:

*note: Warframe has to be running in 32-bit mode for the overlay to work.