Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Throwing Knives Get A Charge Attack

Hanzo29

Talking with a friend the other day i came up with a great idea. the throwing knives could have a charge attack. If you hold down the mouse click:

Despair: would throw a tightly grouped burst of knives like a shot gun. dealing heavy damage. Good for killing heavies.

Kunai: would throw a radial burst much like like radial javelin. damaging all surrounding enemies.

this would give a preference to using one or the other, rather than just the difference in damage.

Edit " i would like to do away with the auto fire on this weapon it makes no sense. as this weapon reloads anyway, you grab a hand full of knives. so these charge attacks would empty that hand. basically throwing a full mag at once. which means to make this balanced you would run through ammo real quick if you kept doing it."

what do you say?!

Edited by Rasputin29

It's a good idea, but I would use it to balance them instead of buffing them. Like make them work like the bows where their tap damage is about 20, and their charge damage is what it is now.

Edited by Xoxile

It be interesting, but aren't throwing knives OP enough?

Alot of people would say yes, but i think it was mentioned in a live stream that they would get a nerfing at a later time. So if you use them, this could be a case of..."enjoy their great power while they still have it."

Edited by -BELLUM-

Alot of people would say yes, but i think it was mentioned in a live stream that they would get a nerfing at a later time. So if you use them, this could be a case of..."enjoy great their power while they still have it."

I'm still loving Dual Vipers more somehow.

They burn ammo like nothing else, but that burst DPS....

Though, Throwing Knives do shave off a lot of high level enemy hp really fast with the proper upgrades.

Kunai or Despair with Multi-shot, Ice Elemental, and damage boost is pretty much god mode.

Edited by Oizen

If they're gonna nerf them, I hope to god they fix fire rate when single clicking. If you hold down the mousebutton with Kunais now, you get a really high firing rate. If you try to spam click, you will never get that firing rate. That pisses me off to no end, because I still treat them like a semi-auto most of the time.

If they're gonna nerf them, I hope to god they fix fire rate when single clicking. If you hold down the mousebutton with Kunais now, you get a really high firing rate. If you try to spam click, you will never get that firing rate. That &!$$es me off to no end, because I still treat them like a semi-auto most of the time.

agreed, i don't know why they're auto that makes no sense. 

Brought this certain topic to the forum once, all I got was "don't nerf it, crybaby, someone outpolled you in low level?". Forum maturity, as rare as melee channel. Bah.

To be frank, adjustment will come for Kunai. How on Earth your frame could throw 10 knives at once when there is only one on each hand? Then you reload (grab) more knives from the pouch. Imo, I want Kunai to be charge weapon like the OP mentioned and et rid of the fullauto feature. Throw one knife with each click and a clipsize of two. Fast reload speed.

Charge attack throw multiple knives at once or throw single, hitscan knives that deal high damage (it's stealth weapon, what's the point if it can't OHK?).

Brought this certain topic to the forum once, all I got was "don't nerf it, crybaby, someone outpolled you in low level?". Forum maturity, as rare as melee channel. Bah.

yeah im starting to see these forums are full of cry babies. and people who just like to hate apparently.

as i told someone before i would like to do away with the auto fire on this weapon it makes no sense. as this weapon reloads anyway, you grab a hand full of knives. so these charge attacks would empty that hand. basically throwing a full mag at once. which means to make this balanced you would run through ammo real quick if you kept doing it.

My favorite logical inconsistency with Kunai: If you grab 10 when you first switch to them, throw 5, and then switch back to your primary, you will only grab 5 blades the next time you switch to Kunai.  Why not just grab 10 if you have the magical ability to do so?

Kunai and Despair are just weird.  If people wanted a secondary that was throwing knives, then the developers should have given it the attention it deserves to give them nice throwing blade mechanics, and not just slap on the same, old gun mechanics and draw it like magically-manifesting-in-hand-throwing-blades.  Especially since we're talking about ninja throwing kunai, here.  Why do we need a mod to throw more than 1 at a time?  Why aren't we throwing 3 of these things at a time like the ninja in the movies do?

My favorite logical inconsistency with Kunai: If you grab 10 when you first switch to them, throw 5, and then switch back to your primary, you will only grab 5 blades the next time you switch to Kunai.  Why not just grab 10 if you have the magical ability to do so?

Kunai and Despair are just weird.  If people wanted a secondary that was throwing knives, then the developers should have given it the attention it deserves to give them nice throwing blade mechanics, and not just slap on the same, old gun mechanics and draw it like magically-manifesting-in-hand-throwing-blades.  Especially since we're talking about ninja throwing kunai, here.  Why do we need a mod to throw more than 1 at a time?  Why aren't we throwing 3 of these things at a time like the ninja in the movies do?

I think if you watch the animation, he grabs 2, one in each hand, and has the rest in his little pocket things. I'm not sure where he keeps the other 200.

I think if you watch the animation, he grabs 2, one in each hand, and has the rest in his little pocket things. I'm not sure where he keeps the other 200.

Hammerspace.

OP, I like this mechanic. the Knives should get a rework. This kind of rework I feel would be perfect. They would have an actual difference now. +1

Hammerspace.

OP, I like this mechanic. the Knives should get a rework. This kind of rework I feel would be perfect. They would have an actual difference now. +1

I have never heard that word before but I just googled it and I am glad someone came up with a word for it.

I'm still loving Dual Vipers more somehow.

They burn ammo like nothing else, but that burst DPS....

Though, Throwing Knives do shave off a lot of high level enemy hp really fast with the proper upgrades.

Kunai or Despair with Multi-shot, Ice Elemental, and damage boost is pretty much god mode.

I do see the kunai as being very potent but again, i don't think it's permanent. I'm sure there is a thread around here that is requesting that their power be dialed down. If not, then that would be a surprise in-spite of what i'm hearing people say about them.

WHY do you even want to BUFF the Kunai/Despair???

I don't understand you people.

Most of us don't wanna buff it, we wanna balance it. Quote:

It's a good idea, but I would use it to balance them instead of buffing them. Like make them work like the bows where their tap damage is about 20, and their charge damage is what it is now.

WHY do you even want to BUFF the Kunai/Despair???

I don't understand you people.

Well you're not alone in feeling so, the damage will probably be nerfed. If they are, a charge attack like what rasp is proposing wouldn't be too extreme of an idea right?

Edited by -BELLUM-

i was coming here writing ffs charge attacks would break the flow of the knives spam but i see what you did there and... could be nice to have those kind of special attacks but...

naa random spam them is more than enough and more efficient

It be interesting, but aren't throwing knives OP enough?

ya right now throwing knives and despair are the most powerful side arms in the game if they were to do that they would have to sort of rework both of them to make them balanced them it would make more sense to have shurikens as a sidearm since they can not be used for close combat and are a throw only weapon and make kunai a melee weapon since in real life kunai can be used as a melee weapon just like a knive and can be thrown also so kunai have dual uses and for them to have a charged thrown attack it would make sense to have them in the melee slot since like i said above they can be used for melee as well in the same sense as the fangs and have shurikens for a sidearm since they can not be used in melee combat only ranged so there ya go two iconic and awesome ninja weapons on for each slot every one wins

OMG PEOPLE! im not talking about buffing them, not changing the damage just changing the way they work. no more full auto.

I know your intents aren't to buff them, but just taking away the full auto isn't helping. If you compare the kunai, or despair to the paris, or dread the bows have a similar base damage with their tap shots. However, the thrown sidearms are much much more faster even by spam clicking.

But you are onto something with this mechanic though. This would allow the devs to simply reduce the base damage, but still have the killing power required for a stealth weapon.

I don't want them buffed or nerfed, I want them completely overhauled and doing something different.  Most other weapons requiring the magnitude of resource expenditure that Kunai/Despair do also do something with unique mechanics, such as the Kestrel, Glaive, and most Research weapons (exceptions being the Gorgon and Dera, which I also believe should do something that's different).  It's also true that kunai aren't guns, so why should they be using the same mechanics guns do with the singular exception of a little bullet drop?