Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

i have a few questions about reach on weapons

septimosentido

Question

1.- i think that every weapon has his own base reach... am i wrong?
2.- if they do were can i find that info?

3.-does slide attacks increase weapon reach?
4.- mods like reach and primed reach do also affect slide attacks reach or only normal attacks and combos??

5.- spin attack is also considered like a slide attack?

6.- does it exist a limit on the number of enemies i can hit on a single spin attack?

Edited by septimosentido
missed a question

19 answers to this question

1.  Yeah every weapon has it's own unique reach
  2. You have to look on the wiki, it doesn't say in the arsenal. Really should
  3. Nope, only Reach or Primed Reach increases range. Slide attacks only deal damage in a circular radius, the radius being the weapons reach
  4. Don't see why they wouldn't affect the reach of all melee weapon attacks
  5. Honestly I dunno about that myself, I'd guess so.

1: Each weapon has its base range, this refers to how far it reaches when you press E repeatedly with no stance equipped.

2: You'd probably have to do some digging on reddit for certain weapons or test it yourself.

3: Generally speaking, slide attacks don't increase melee range, but they do propel you forward, giving the effect of increased range. Certain stances have combos that do increase range.

4: Reach mods increase melee range. Special weapons like the Glaive or the Redeemer do not gain more range for their charge attacks.

5: Spin/Slide attack are the ones you perform by pressing E while sliding. Combos that force you to spin like the pause combo in Cleaving Whirlwind are not slide attacks.

7 minutes ago, 1tsyB1tsyN1nj4 said:
  2. You have to look on the wiki, it doesn't say in the arsenal. Really should
  3. Nope, only Reach or Primed Reach increases range. Slide attacks only deal damage in a circular radius, the radius being the weapons reach
  4. Don't see why they wouldn't affect the reach of all melee weapon attacks
  5. Honestly I dunno about that myself, I'd guess so.

i have a fragor prime with all the crit and dmg posible + maiming strike + reach prime, its super slow; actually -20% base attack speed cause of sopoiled strike... all i do is slide and then do a melee attack to make the frame spin the hammer and anything under lvl 40 dies in one hit... you telling me that reach prime does not make any diference on the radius of the spin attack??? well thats sad

10 minutes ago, Xionyde134 said:

4: Reach mods increase melee range. Special weapons like the Glaive or the Redeemer do not gain more range for their charge attacks.

Reach mods make the Glaive have a bigger hitbox, or any thrown weapon. Gunblade charge attacks don't really benefit from Reach mods

6 minutes ago, septimosentido said:

i have a fragor prime with all the crit and dmg posible + maiming strike + reach prime, its super slow; actually -20% base attack speed cause of sopoiled strike... all i do is slide and then do a melee attack to make the frame spin the hammer and anything under lvl 40 dies in one hit... you telling me that reach prime does not make any diference on the radius of the spin attack??? well thats sad

It does? I didn't say it doesn't, I said that Reach mods increase a melee weapons range for all attacks, slide attacks included and all stances use the new weapons range. You're probably just suffering from having the Fragor have such a low attack speed

Edited by 1tsyB1tsyN1nj4

2 minutes ago, 1tsyB1tsyN1nj4 said:

It does? I didn't say it doesn't, I said that Reach mods increase a melee weapons range for all attacks, slide attacks included and all stances use the new weapons range.

well then i think i will max that reach prime :) tx

57 minutes ago, 1tsyB1tsyN1nj4 said:

Nope, only Reach or Primed Reach increases range. Slide attacks only deal damage in a circular radius, the radius being the weapons reach

Incorrect. As the devs stated in the stream today, #89, the actual reach of the weapon is determined by the attacks, as each attack has a different animation and so the in-game reach of the weapon is based on that animation. Slide attack technically does increase weapon reach because the animation is typically held with the weapon outstretched farther than a basic swing. Mods increase the base range, yes, but the animation itself also changes how far away you can strike an enemy.

50 minutes ago, Xionyde134 said:

Reach mods increase melee range. Special weapons like the Glaive or the Redeemer do not gain more range for their charge attacks.

Incorrect, Reach makes the hitbox for the Glaive-type weapons larger, allowing the weapon to hit more enemies in a throw. The thrown range of the weapon remains at ~30m.

39 minutes ago, 1tsyB1tsyN1nj4 said:

Reach mods make the Glaive have a bigger hitbox, or any thrown weapon. Gunblade charge attacks don't really benefit from Reach mods

Gunblades maximum range of their charge attacks are affected by Reach.

Edited by NeithanDiniem

2 hours ago, NeithanDiniem said:

ncorrect. As the devs stated in the stream today, #89, the actual reach of the weapon is determined by the attacks, as each attack has a different animation and so the in-game reach of the weapon is based on that animation. Slide attack technically does increase weapon reach because the animation is typically held with the weapon outstretched farther than a basic swing. Mods increase the base range, yes, but the animation itself also changes how far away you can strike an enemy.

So basically, if you do a vertical down strike with say a Galatine Prime, the hitbox of the weapon strikes down, yes? If you do a vertical slice, the hitbox goes vertical, and so on and so forth right? Pretty much wherever the melee weapon is oriented is pretty much where it does damage? It's hard to explain, but pretty much dual sword type weapons and tonfas have two hitboxes for either hand and would be much more efficient at sliding spin attacks because they act much like a blender?

8 minutes ago, 1tsyB1tsyN1nj4 said:

So basically, if you do a vertical down strike with say a Galatine Prime, the hitbox of the weapon strikes down, yes? If you do a vertical slice, the hitbox goes vertical, and so on and so forth right? Pretty much wherever the melee weapon is oriented is pretty much where it does damage? It's hard to explain, but pretty much dual sword type weapons and tonfas have two hitboxes for either hand and would be much more efficient at sliding spin attacks because they act much like a blender?

Yes, the hitbox for the weapon matches the animation of the weapon. The range stat changes the size of the hitbox, letting you strike from farther away, but the animations also change it. So stance can significantly alter how far away you can hit an enemy from with combo strikes. Dual blade weapons however I am unsure if they trigger multiple strikes with one spin, that I just haven't paid enough attention to to notice.

5 minutes ago, 1tsyB1tsyN1nj4 said:

They really should, it only makes sense

Well it all depends how fast the attack is going on. DE condenses damage ticks from the same source sometimes, so if it does hit multiple times in one animation then it may be condensing the ticks to reduce the damage pop ups. That would mean it can still hit more than once, but it would only make one tick containing both hits' damage. I haven't really cared to go all science on it myself to verify what is what.

5 minutes ago, NeithanDiniem said:

Well it all depends how fast the attack is going on. DE condenses damage ticks from the same source sometimes, so if it does hit multiple times in one animation then it may be condensing the ticks to reduce the damage pop ups. That would mean it can still hit more than once, but it would only make one tick containing both hits' damage. I haven't really cared to go all science on it myself to verify what is what.

So long as that is what happens, otherwise we'd be missing out on damage just because of an extremely high attack speed. For example, a Ceramic Dagger with max rank Primed Fury pretty much attacks twice every second, it's just that fast.

Just now, 1tsyB1tsyN1nj4 said:

So long as that is what happens, otherwise we'd be missing out on damage just because of an extremely high attack speed. For example, a Ceramic Dagger with max rank Primed Fury pretty much attacks twice every second, it's just that fast.

Yea if it is fast enough it would combine the numbers, so you wouldn't lose out on any damage. Typically though each hit from a different press of the attack key would make a different damage tick. The main place to see where DE combines damage ticks is on continuous beam weapons. They used to tick reeealy fast, but DE reduced that to axe performance problems that caused. So I am not sure if DE uses that same condensing feature on fast same-attack milti-hits on the same target.

On 3.3.2017 at 10:11 PM, 1tsyB1tsyN1nj4 said:
  2. You have to look on the wiki, it doesn't say in the arsenal. Really should.

No easy task.

Weapons do not only have individuall ranges but also individuall stances per weapon type and thus individuall ranges per attack/animation.

Blade and whip weapons for example have a excellent combo range but theyr slide range is kinda lacking. Nikana stances not only strongly affect your range but also your attack speed. The 3 of them represent different mixes in fact, none beein inferior to the other.

Only helpfull source to this is eather testing or detailed videos on youtube really.

Edited by (PS4)CoolD2108

18 hours ago, (PS4)CoolD2108 said:

No easy task.

Weapons do not only have individuall ranges but also individuall stances per weapon type and thus individuall ranges per attack/animation.

Blade and whip weapons for example have a excellent combo range but theyr slide range is kinda lacking. Nikana stances not only strongly affect your range but also your attack speed. The 3 of them represent different mixes in fact, none beein inferior to the other.

Only helpfull source to this is eather testing or detailed videos on youtube really.

Or just slap on a range mod and go to town. Unless you have a specific build, having Reach on a build is always a good idea

3 hours ago, 1tsyB1tsyN1nj4 said:

Or just slap on a range mod and go to town. Unless you have a specific build, having Reach on a build is always a good idea

True. And it's probably worth it even then...

I have this crazy lacera build with 100% gas+electric status, maiming strike and condition overload i love to use on crowds. Especially using it offhand for slide attacks on hoardet crowds (nidus, vauban, mag). Gas plus electro status scaling off every single enemy that proccs it plus every multiplier possible is frickin savage. Still using range, even tho theyr basicly immobile.

Edited by (PS4)CoolD2108

4 hours ago, (PS4)CoolD2108 said:

True. And it's probably worth it even then...

I have this crazy lacera build with 100% gas+electric status, maiming strike and condition overload i love to use on crowds. Especially using it offhand for slide attacks on hoardet crowds (nidus, vauban, mag). Gas plus electro status scaling off every single enemy that proccs it plus every multiplier possible is frickin savage. Still using range, even tho theyr basicly immobile.

I like to use max Primed Reach along with max Primed Fury on my 100% Blast-Corrosive Atterax, I even changed the polarity on the stance to match Coiling Viper because imo it's the best looking whip stance and it has a lot of radial attack animations. It's pretty much an explosive crit blender.

Edited by 1tsyB1tsyN1nj4

On 3/3/2017 at 2:32 PM, 1tsyB1tsyN1nj4 said:

It does? I didn't say it doesn't, I said that Reach mods increase a melee weapons range for all attacks, slide attacks included and all stances use the new weapons range. You're probably just suffering from having the Fragor have such a low attack speed

actually enjoying the slow attack speed because it makes the spin attack least longer and so cover a bigger area... i dont know if theres a maximum number of enemyes that can be hit in a single spin attack... well i think ill add this question

On 04/03/2017 at 5:18 AM, Xionyde134 said:

Double incorrect.

As stated by NeithanDiniem before as to how Reach affects Glaive, Reach also affects the range of Redeemer's Charged Shot.