Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Netcode Needs A Serious Update

H0PE

1 or 2 out of 5 games I got totally un-enjoyable game. Best it would describe as .... Enemies, items are not moving, just running at one place, then after 5-10sec they move 5-10steps. This is probably like 1500+ms ping speed connection to the host.

2 out of 5 games I got lagy game, not so much as the above example, but still feels like I got 500+ms ping to the host.

If I understand correctly based on my experience, then clients in the group hosting the game, and they one of them the "server", is that correct? If yes, then the issue can be solved very easily, here is how:

1.) When a session starts, server sends out ping and measure player's netspeed for 5-10seconds.

2.) Then you rank them up in the group in order based on netspeed, and before the game starts.

e.g.: 1: 40ms, 2:98ms, 3: 150ms

3.) Then before players enter the game if needed you give the server to the first player in the list.

4.) If the server drops out or quits, you give the server job to the next player in the list.

Choppy laggy game problem solved -as much as you could with such an easy sollution-. Not a perfect solution since you never know what pc the other guy has and netspeed could change (like I start a torrent download in the background, that would definitely slow down my net :D).

But we need some sollutions because 5out of 4 games as I above mentioned, the network games are really hard to enjoy as of now.

P.S.: I wouldn't even mind hosting all games when I start a game, I got 120/10 net, and kind of above awerage machine if that would boost my and other's enjoyment, but I suppose its kind of random who gets server.

Feel free to correct me and give better solution to the problem, and/or any information regarding my knowledge. :)