Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

U9 Is Insane For Beginners

EirikAura

Ok so I only started playing 2 days ago and was enjoying it. Then comes U9 and I get slaughtered on the first mission. The enemy force levels are insane, there's enemies I've never seen that can wipe me in seconds and they clump together like fleas on a dog. 

U9 is not fun, it's a game-killer. I play co-op with my wife, she's the melee expert I'm the sniper/ranged type. Even together we can't get anywhere on this update. 

What were the thought processes on this update?

"Oh, you've been wounded? Lets set your health to drop continuously so you bleed out!"

"Hey, here's an idea. They're picking up too much stuff, lets give them a time limit so they take longer to progress!"

"Nah, those bad guys were lame, they need to learn against much tougher guys!"

And other, lets-make-the-newbies-quit comments?

We ain't all super-high-level cash cows, some of us actually play for fun - and U9 is no longer fun.

those are all nightmare maps.

don do those.

are there any that you need to get to the next planet? cause if not then just skip them for the time being.

edit: just checked, yeah you kind do have to do those. sucks. thought it would be for people who knew what they where doing.

not that hard really. once you know the mechanics. but of course newbies wouldnt know the mechanics ;/

Edited by MetalGerbil

They are the BEGINNING maps. What the hell are we supposed to play? You actually have to unlock the levels, so making the first few 'nightmares' is stupid, and as I said, game-killing. How do you get new players if the first few levels are that hard even the higher players call them nightmares?

Exactly, newbies DON'T know the mechanics and are thrust into stupid-hard-level to begin with. It's be nice if the damn game explained wtf a skull meant (thanks for the heads up, we didn't know) and this with reading the how-tos and wiki to figure things out. 

Still very undecided if we'll stay on. (I'm the 'melee wife' lol)

2 days playing, just managed to finish most of the Mercury levels and they change the system so we can't do them over to up our levels. I've only just reached level 1 and the last levels in Mercury are now listed as level 3-7. How are you supposed to gain xp?

Ok so I only started playing 2 days ago and was enjoying it. Then comes U9 and I get slaughtered on the first mission. The enemy force levels are insane, there's enemies I've never seen that can wipe me in seconds and they clump together like fleas on a dog. 

U9 is not fun, it's a game-killer. I play co-op with my wife, she's the melee expert I'm the sniper/ranged type. Even together we can't get anywhere on this update. 

What were the thought processes on this update?

"Oh, you've been wounded? Lets set your health to drop continuously so you bleed out!"

"Hey, here's an idea. They're picking up too much stuff, lets give them a time limit so they take longer to progress!"

"Nah, those bad guys were lame, they need to learn against much tougher guys!"

And other, lets-make-the-newbies-quit comments?

We ain't all super-high-level cash cows, some of us actually play for fun - and U9 is no longer fun.

Give some details on what frames your both playing. What weapons and what mods you have acquired in your short time playing. I'm sure we can help. I played it earlier on low level and it is harder now but that is a good thing. You have to think about what might be coming and no rush in as much. Melee play isn't easy only you have the right setup aswell.

I'm sure there will be a lot of experienced players playing at low level now as you cant faceroll anything at high level with low level stuff. It forces all of us to play the game the way it should be played.

And another, if they go to 'nightmare mode' after playing once how to do we level up?? We've done all the mercury ones and are stuck at level 1. We only completed them with larger teams in Online mode yet most of the missions say levels 2 and above... how do you level up???

I challenge even the good players to go do the first mission AS A NEWB with a newb frame and no updates. Nightmare? Why yes, I think it would be.

We're up to lvl 9 weaps and frames mostly though my pistol and sword are lower. We have health boosts, shield boosts, everything we can cram on, and the nightmare levels are still just plain stupid. Why the hell make the very first planet have nightmare mode? Give us a chance

those are all nightmare maps.

don do those.

are there any that you need to get to the next planet? cause if not then just skip them for the time being.

edit: just checked, yeah you kind do have to do those. sucks. thought it would be for people who knew what they where doing.

not that hard really. once you know the mechanics. but of course newbies wouldnt know the mechanics ;/

I did Kiste and...

Well it was significantly more brutal than I remember it...

I, as a max redirection toting Rhino, went down while fighting on the edge of the cluster-f of enemies.

Someone had an enemy radar and I feel that the amount of enemies that spawn was increased, and then throw in the fact that the Elite Grineer Lancers do a bunch of damage (not a problem in and of itself), but have shields, can hit from a distance (because they use a burston), and basically replace other spawns. It's harsh.

They did scaling, but they made the same mistakes they make with literally every update.

They didn't test it, they didn't seem to actually think it all the way through.

They're fumbling around, and then fixing things that shouldn't have been an issue in the first place.

Yes, the new update severely hurts new player retention.

The most notable thing I saw was that you could not see what planet gave what resources, minus the picture. How is a new player supposed to know, to have memorized, what each symbol is? Yes, they can directly view the foundry, but that's going back and forth between through the awful UI.

I did Kiste and...

Well it was significantly more brutal than I remember it...

I, as a max redirection toting Rhino, went down while fighting on the edge of the cluster-f of enemies.

Someone had an enemy radar and I feel that the amount of enemies that spawn was increased, and then throw in the fact that the Elite Grineer Lancers do a bunch of damage (not a problem in and of itself), but have shields, can hit from a distance (because they use a burston), and basically replace other spawns. It's harsh.

They did scaling, but they made the same mistakes they make with literally every update.

They didn't test it, they didn't seem to actually think it all the way through.

They're fumbling around, and then fixing things that shouldn't have been an issue in the first place.

Yes, the new update severely hurts new player retention.

The most notable thing I saw was that you could not see what planet gave what resources, minus the picture. How is a new player supposed to know, to have memorized, what each symbol is? Yes, they can directly view the foundry, but that's going back and forth between through the awful UI.

You are probably expected tot Formaed Ogris, Boltors, kunai, despair, dread, torids etc all the most OP weapons and the best mods you can ever squeeze into them to actually decimate the Nightmare mode mobs.

Personally I will not do nightmare mode stuff if I got stuff that needs leveling now, but if I am on a farming trip, bring it on !

Just avoid the skulls. Jeez, over reaction much?

Jeez, don't read the whole thing much? We're new, we didn't even know there WAS a nightmare mode until today let alone what the skulls represented. Unless you had a direct brain download (which is still in the realm of the Matrix last I checked) you had to learn too and I can bet it wasn't this hard for you. 

Don't comment if you don't read the thread. 

I challenge even the good players to go do the first mission AS A NEWB with a newb frame and no updates. Nightmare? Why yes, I think it would be.

We're up to lvl 9 weaps and frames mostly though my pistol and sword are lower. We have health boosts, shield boosts, everything we can cram on, and the nightmare levels are still just plain stupid. Why the hell make the very first planet have nightmare mode? Give us a chance

I loaded it with an unranked frame and weapon and died as well. I didn't know what to do though. Once I got a few levels I went on Pluto and did those though. They should probably lock these nightmare ones until people hit Mastery 4 or something because it isn't really fair. If they lose 4 revives then its a pain for them as they only have 1 frame in the first few days.

This is something I'm sure they will sort out for the first planets we play but the higher levels planets are excellent. I couldn't do Regna solo. The hostage got wtfpwned by level 70 Grineer. I will try again tomorrow though and that's a good thing. Something that beat me and I can go in and try again tomorrow. Perfect on the higher level planets. Just lower level ones need a tweak.

I loaded it with an unranked frame and weapon and died as well. I didn't know what to do though. Once I got a few levels I went on Pluto and did those though. They should probably lock these nightmare ones until people hit Mastery 4 or something because it isn't really fair. If they lose 4 revives then its a pain for them as they only have 1 frame in the first few days.

This is something I'm sure they will sort out for the first planets we play but the higher levels planets are excellent. I couldn't do Regna solo. The hostage got wtfpwned by level 70 Grineer. I will try again tomorrow though and that's a good thing. Something that beat me and I can go in and try again tomorrow. Perfect on the higher level planets. Just lower level ones need a tweak.

I suggest making it optional altogether.

The chance of greater rare resource drops and rare nightmare only mods are already good enough rewards !

Edited by fatpig84

Thank you Stacey. This right here is the problem - the early levels. I have no issue with upping the higher levels for the people who want things harder. What I have a problem with is the insanity of making the first levels so stupidly difficult. Give us newbs somewhere to learn for gossake.

Judging by your post (time limits and all that), it appears you and your wife stumbled upon Nightmare Mode maps. If the nodes were replaced by skulls, then they are Nightmare Mode maps. They can randomly replace any node, even on Mercury. AVOID THEM.

However, I'm pretty sure Nightmare maps only appear after you cleared the node once before. If a mission you have not cleared was turned into a Nightmare map, do report it in the bugs section, because that definately shouldn't be happening.

Edit: Since you're a new player, I'd really like to ask for your comments about the new and improved Captain Vor. As interesting as the fight was for me, a lot of us speculate that he may be too difficult as a first boss, so i want to ask a new player's opinion of him.

Edited by Madotsuki

Judging by your post (time limits and all that), it appears you and your wife stumbled upon Nightmare Mode maps. If the nodes were replaced by skulls, then they are Nightmare Mode maps. They can randomly replace any node, even on Mercury. AVOID THEM.

However, I'm pretty sure Nightmare maps only appear after you cleared the node once before. If a mission you have not cleared was turned into a Nightmare map, do report it in the bugs section, because that definately shouldn't be happening.

Edit: Since you're a new player, I'd really like to ask for your comments about the new and improved Captain Vor. As interesting as the fight was for me, a lot of us speculate that he may be too difficult as a first boss.

These are level zero planets. WHY are they nightmare modes? Vor? Couldn't get near him. Even before U9 he was insane. We had to team up with a high-ranker to pass the level, we certainly couldn't kill him. 4 respawns each and no luck, he just kept on coming

These are level zero planets. WHY are they nightmare modes? Vor? Couldn't get near him. Even before U9 he was insane. We had to team up with a high-ranker to pass the level, we certainly couldn't kill him. 4 respawns each and no luck, he just kept on coming

Well I agree that nightmare mode wasn't applied in the best of ways, but it's kinda RNG at the moment, as long as they're not on a node you haven't cleared and NEED to clear for progression, and as long as they don't take up every single cleared node (i know mercury doesn't have a lot of nodes, and i had 3 nightmare modes on that map at once), I think you can still make do. Those nightmare nodes were on ones that you cleared already, right?

As for Vor...uhh, are you sure we're talking about the same Vor? Because he was a pushover before U9. He never got any stat changes along the way so it can't be because he was weaker when i was new to the game. And when I first fought him I could solo him MELEE-ONLY by using Skana charge attacks and circle-strafing. That's not viable now of course, just saying.

If you need any help with boss fights you can read the wiki pages. I've soloed each and every boss, and written strategies for them on the wiki.

It does seem like the nightmare mode is a little much on Mercury,they seem to shift around from time to time so patience might get you a normal run you need to finish. I think you are mistaking Mastery Rank for levels, the level range for missions is best compared to the average rank of your weapons added to your frame rank. Assuming that you are keeping your mods up it is a decent comparison. If you can find a decent clan then you will have friends to help you through the more challenging levels. What frames are you guys running? aalso, what weapon loadouts/mods?

For me the very first mission is a nightmare, that's why I said to go in and try it with an unranked frame and weapons - this is what the new players have to do. They can't skip the first level. THAT is what is so bloody stupid. As for Vor, we are past him now. But do we go to Venus or not? We're still only just on level 1, not even able to get the xp-locked weapons since they are lvl 2. And they want lvl 5-8 or some such for the next levels. Yeah... Thanks U9... Give us faster level progression early and take off the nightmare on early missions. Please.