Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What if we had a Frame/Weapon maker similar to TennoGen?

Zisruj

Before I start I would like to say that I have a tendency to explain things or label them in a way that some people don't understand. I want to clarify that about the title. I don't mean something to make skins form equipment, as is with TennoGen, I mean a program that actually lets us create equipment for the game, that aren't skins.

OK. So today I was watching some YouTube videos on our beloved Warframe game, when I came across the Concept Checkup channel (Rahetalius is the name if anyone would like to take a look at the videos) where there are videos going over player made frame concepts. I've watched a few of these about a sniper frame (Arbalest) and a beast frame (Furion), & I'd like to say that I love the ideas for them. I'd love to see these frames & many others that players have made to be put in-game. Now the reason I'm telling you guys this is because I don't know about anything created by a player that was put into the game, other than Silva & Aegis, which was a player-made concept. My point is that with all the ideas people have to make Warframes & weapons, myself included, I think it would be a smart move for DE to add a program that allows players to design equipment & post it on a forum for the program or the game.

Now, I've posted some ideas about other topics, whether on this game's forums or another's, & there's almost always someone who  says it won't end up working out. If you're one of those people please lookup Daybreak Games (formerly SONY) Player Studio. This is something that has allowed players to make things for games such as EQ2 & Planetside 2.

I hope that a lot of you that read this will agree with me and/or post your thoughts about it.

Edited by Zisruj

The problem is the programs needed to make items of the same quality as seen in Warframe are incredibly pricey. Modeling programs, Texturing programs, those cost a significant amount to not only create, but to buy the license for use. Maya, Max, Modo, for basic modeling programs, zBrush or Mudbox for high detail work, Substance Designer for unwrap, texture, and materials. DE cannot easily make one of these programs simply due to the complexity and power required for these to run, and these programs already exist with all the tools needed and are available for those that can afford them. The one you specifically mentioned uses pre-made geometry that would then be modified using simple tools in the studio program, not something very capable of making highly varied content without existing highly varied base geometry for them to follow off of. They even specifically suggest using more advanced programs like those I mentioned to get more out of the studio. Really any studio-like program DE would make simply wouldn't be up to snuff compared to the industry-standard programs DE themselves and the Tennogen creators largely use, and anything made in such a studio program wouldn't be nearly the same quality.

If you are looking for something that is easily accessible for making models, Blender may be what you look into since it is free and open source. It would allow you a fairly good ability to make concepts, or if you are skilled enough, completed pieces with enough time put into it. There are quite a few tutorials on the program as well through their site, so one looking into it would have a lot of material to use to learn the program.

Edited by NeithanDiniem

1 hour ago, NeithanDiniem said:

The problem is the programs needed to make items of the same quality as seen in Warframe are incredibly pricey. Modeling programs, Texturing programs, those cost a significant amount to not only create, but to buy the license for use. Maya, Max, Modo, for basic modeling programs, zBrush or Mudbox for high detail work, Substance Designer for unwrap, texture, and materials. DE cannot easily make one of these programs simply due to the complexity and power required for these to run, and these programs already exist with all the tools needed and are available for those that can afford them.

Sorry, like I said I tend to make things hard to understand, I mean a 2D drawing thing like GIMP. But I do see your point, though. The resources that would need to be devoted to it would be quite expensive, and it would take a lot of time & effort just to get it started.

Edited by Zisruj