Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How best to spend reactors and catalysts? And how best to farm them, if at all?

JadeFromWarframe

Question

So it seems that catalysts and reactors are pretty rare. This is a shame, considering how crucial they evidently are to keeping your frames and gear useful on higher-level enemies; and how many frames and weapons you're going to get your hands on. How do I choose which weapons and frames to spend them on?

5 answers to this question

2 hours ago, booty_hunter said:

Simple, put them on frames and weapons that you like to use. The only way to obtain them is either to buy them from the market for 20 platinum each or occasionally receive them from an alert. You will usually get one every Friday.

Ah, good. Then at least I don't have to buy them, since I don't have to worry about them never showing up.

While we're here, how many catalysts/reactors do you recommend being installed on a single piece of equipment? Or can you only use one?

12 hours ago, SirKeksalot said:

Ah, good. Then at least I don't have to buy them, since I don't have to worry about them never showing up.

While we're here, how many catalysts/reactors do you recommend being installed on a single piece of equipment? Or can you only use one?

You can only use one.

Alright, i'm going to share a simple method for staying in the green for catalysts and reactors. At-first you're probably going to want to look up whats good, generally what the community finds to be a good weapon or warframe, as well as what you enjoy as your leveling the weapon or frame.

Before using any reactor or catalyst use the time leveling the weapon or frame to 30 to decide if its right for you. Many times you might hear something is good, and it very well may be, but it might not be what you like. Alternatively you might hear something is just "mastery fodder" but it might be exactly what you've been looking for. However. I'd still recommend patience. 

I'd also recommend following  Warframe Alerts  on twitter. or some other way of tracking alerts when away from game. occasionally interesting things pop up on alerts or invasions.

For frames, ask yourself if there is a better version of the frame, and is it available? Primes might seem out of reach for a newer player, but they are really fun to hunt for, and a great goal to shoot for. Save your reactors for the primes. unless of the frame has been vaulted. it will come back around. eventually at that point you have to think if you want to wait to play in that frame. weigh your options and stick with your gut. | Thankfully I've always found that being on top of alerts with a tracker leaves you with a healthy supply of Reactors as long as you don't compulsively slot them in your companions. (to which I'd Recommend Carrier prime or either Kavat breed)

As for weapons, Its very much the same process. however I would also point out that a lot of weapons are used in crafting other weapons, and that any weapon used in that crafting won't retain the upgrades used on the crafting materials. There are also so many weapons that might seem good low-mid range that really fall off in higher level content. I'd defiantly recommend asking for more help. to figure out what weapons are good, or what the statistically strongest weapon is in each category. Best to differentiate some things are "workhorses" and other things are "toys" There are some weapons in this game if they are built right that give astronomical returns, others that just struggle to be relevant in a sea of very powerful primes. and some weapons that aren't great but are a bunch of fun to use, and with a little elbow grease can be super viable. The point is, if you want to be practical. Stick to what's considered good, and you'll have a sea of catalysts ready to upgrade the newest and best that community vets. Or you can be like me and spend them frivolously on whatever whim takes you.

Eventually you'll get a sense for your tastes, and you might even be willing to pop a reactor or catalyst in from the start. but for now. as It was said before me, figure out how you want to play. Use your resources tactfully but your own way.