Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Game Consistently Crashing?

Voidforged

Question

I've spent the last week moving house. None of my hardware or software has changed. I plugged everything back in and started playing as per usual, except now Warframe will never run for even 5 minutes before crashing, literally, every single time I boot it up. I get no crash-logs or anything, the screens just flicker and go black, and I have to Alt+F4 to get back to my desktop.

I made sure all my software was updated, dropped all graphical settings to the minimum, after always running it 120+ frames on maximum settings, and it is still doing it. 

Have I missed something? Did some new change go live in the week I've been offline that has utterly crippled the game? Is anyone else experiencing this? Any ideas of how to fix it?

10 answers to this question

first of all, try going to support with the ee log, launcher log and DXDIAG.txt (windows button+R and then type dxdiag, then find the generate log file button)

the ee and launcher log can be found at the install location, usualy in C:/users/appdata/local/warframe

also try and identify the problem by monitoring your hardware using something like MSI afterburner, if youhave any overclocks, temporarily disable them, ETC.

Just now, SupremeDutchGamer said:

first of all, try going to support with the ee log, launcher log and DXDIAG.txt (windows button+R and then type dxdiag, then find the generate log file button)

the ee and launcher log can be found at the install location, usualy in C:/users/appdata/local/warframe

also try and identify the problem by monitoring your hardware using something like MSI afterburner, if youhave any overclocks, temporarily disable them, ETC.

I've now submitted those three files to Support.  I have no current overclocks. I'll look into MSI Afterburner.

Just now, --VLP--Ijenius said:

Check your HDD health: what SMART and surface test said?

SMART says everything is green and perfect. Surface tests are all green and perfect.

Edited by Voidforged
status update

1 hour ago, Voidforged said:

SMART says everything is green and perfect. Surface tests are all green and perfect.

Good. One of the worst causes striked out =)

Maybe smth wrong with power supply? Is your PC connect to circuit directly or through voltage stabilizer?

Consider physically checking hardware connections inside your machine. Something similar happened to me after my machine was transported.

I had problems after a PCIe connection wiggled loose enough for fan vibrations to affect the connectivity at a later time. Initially everything would be fine but after some time playing, the RPM of the fans would increase with temperature and vibrations would find a sweet spot that rattled the loose PCIe connection enough to cause crashes.

A simple reseat of the video card solved everything.

So I'd recommend checking all hardware connections including the HDD and RAM. Even if they look connected check them physically to be extra sure. I realize it's a very obscure and unlikely problem but it's worth checking because I spent hours troubleshooting software issues to no avail and it was quite frustrating.

Also consider running the tool on the Warframe launcher (Not steam) to verify and optimize the game cache. This will check the health of the game files and redownload any bad updates that could be causing trouble.

Let us know if anything changes. :smile:

Edited by PeachyPurpleNova

Just now, --VLP--Ijenius said:

Good. One of the worst causes striked out =)

Maybe smth wrong with power supply? Is your PC connect to circuit directly or through voltage stabilizer?

It is normally connected through a power-board, along with both of my monitors. I grabbed an extension lead and connected the tower directly to the circuit and it seemed to run longer, (long enough for me to complete sortie 3 survival, though it crashed immediately after, when before I consistently couldn't complete sortie 1 spy) but that could just be RNG. 

Worth noting that while I've always connected through a power-board in this fashion, this is a brand new power-board I haven't used before moving into this house.

Just now, PeachyPurpleNova said:

I'd recommend checking all hardware connections including the HDD and RAM. Even if they look connected check them physically to be extra sure. I realize it's a very obscure and unlikely problem but it's worth checking because I spent hours troubleshooting software issues to no avail and it was quite frustrating.

Good idea, I'll strip it down and re-seat everything the moment this download finishes, 5 minutes or so.

Just now, PeachyPurpleNova said:

Also consider running the tool on the Warframe launcher (Not steam) to verify and optimize the game cache. This will check the health of the game files and redownload any bad updates that could be causing trouble.

I did this and noticed no real difference. Worth mentioning that I almost never boot through Steam.

I've just noticed something else happening that has never happened before. I have a wireless headset that connects through a USB dongle, the headset has a volume wheel on the side, and when you turn it a small window opens on the screen telling you what percentage you are at, which is normal. What isn't normal is that it is now almost constantly on my screen and the value is always changing, so I'll be playing with regular volume, then none, then maximum, all seemingly random. 

I've tried the dongle in all ports, through an extension lead to keep it as close as possible to the headset, and through a USB HUB, but there have been no changes. I've also reset both the computer and the headset multiple times, and force updated the audio drivers, to no avail. 

The headset and the wheel itself seem normal, with regular pressure required to turn the wheel or use any other buttons, so I don't think it has been physically damaged in any way.

Related? :s

I have completely disassembled and reassembled my hardware and have it plugged directly into the wall. It ran fine for a 20 minute survival and I had it idling in the background for the best part of another hour whilst editing some video, with no crashes.

I'll keep monitoring it for now, and then, probably tomorrow, try adjusting the display settings back to their previous state and plugging it back into the power-board, individually, of course, to see if anything reoccurs. 

The headset seems to have calmed down too.

Thanks to everyone for the help and support, this really had me stressed for a while. Hopefully things stay as they should be.