Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Improving Nighmare Mode

xGryphus

Nightmare Mode - in current state it resembles war a bit: we don't have direct influence on deployment of enemy forces. When skull shows up it somehow indicates that hostile troops concentrated in that region. However it proved to be pain in the &#! for beginners.
IMHO it could be easily solved by turning off Nightmare Mode for players below specific rank. Those players wouldn't see any skulls - they would perceive all missions as normal.
When they reach some specific rank Lotus could say something like "The enemy forces are on the move. [displaying skull icon] This mark indicates places of high risk - avoid them until you're ready."

To protect beginners even more, Seer parts could only drop from Nightmare Mod Tolstoj. This would also allow to increase Seer drop rate.

I too feel it would be more beneficial to turn nightmare mode on and off, but I also like the idea of not introducing the concept until a player has a bit more experience with the game. There should be no reason to complicate gameplay before it is necessary.

Comments on the time limit version of nightmare mode:

- The giant flashing "TIME ADDED" is annoying and as other players suggested, could be replaced by flashing the timer.

- It looks like you can add time above and beyond the original starting time of the level. Perhaps there could be a cap. I could see setting a cap as the starting time, unless some maps need you to 'bank' extra time to get through areas without enemies to kill. My concern here is that the "time added" feature could be used by a troll to force other squad-mates to wait testily while the troll hangs back and prevents the mission from ending.

I searched the forums and didn't see a post about this issue - sorry if i missed it.