Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Current skillpoint system totally wrong for this game

Demographics

A very good post, and McJon essentially put everything I ever talked about and wanted in a skill tree into one response. Although I would argue for the first rank in every ability being attained once a certain level is reached without having to put skill points into it. Those 4 points would be better off being put into specialization of said abilities I think.

And I would also argue that mod slots being unlocked over time instead of being unlocked with point investment is something that should definitely happen. I think if creative and different Frame builds is their goal, then this has to happen. Build variety can only happen if there's an open field as opposed to tight restrictions. If the latter happened, then there would probably only be a few 'best builds' that inevitably always happen with games involving skill trees. But the mod system places Warframe in a somewhat interesting position in that we could really spec towards anything mods allowed. And this ability would be severely crippled if we had to spend points on mod slots I think, at least with the 30/45 system in place.

I believe that all 4 powers in each frame should be accessible at lv1. However, it shouldn't be useable if player do not invest a point in it. The idea of having more varied build should involve a unique selectable upgrades for each power at particular level which player must choose one over another. It'll let each players tailor their favorite power to fit their own use. ME3 MP did it quite well, at least conceptually, but it's bug-ridden and some upgrades just plainly do not work as described (or badly described, don't know where ME devs took their English class).

With skill tree system, the cookie-cutter, min-max builds will eventually showed up. It's just inevitable. However, not all players care about these mentality. Roughly ten percent of the playerbase visit the forum and only half of them bother posting something on the forum. The rest of them just plainly never bother visiting the forum. These 90% just playing the game without caring about min-maxing their builds. It's entirely depend on the dev to make almost all skills useful in every level, especially direct damage skill which will eventually be 'out' of the game in higher level when they're no longer be able to kill a mook in one cast.

I made a topic a while back concerning this particular issue. Direct damage powers do not scale well with the game's difficulty and will be eventually less useful when mobs HP exceed their damage threshold.