Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Ignis Overhaul

Wormyish

The flamethrowers in this game are weak, they feel like a bethesda flame thrower and they shouldn't.

What we need is a monster makeover of the ignis and make it into the firery water fire gun shooting a sticky stream of liquid hell, that it should be.

What I propose, is that the fire phyiscs be changed, a curving a liquid stream at a slow arch, and make the fire stick to objects.

also cut flame height to about 0.75 of normal flames

I realize that this is a lot of work but It would be nice to make this potentially awesome weapon worth the price.

Real flamethrower

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTwtoHONlLpsHFPst7CMI5SUDaaGABzOpHRc1EXnFnWkgfV3rAv

This is what it should look like with a about a 10-20 meter max range

more like

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRA4vLjvweqAQjn7X8VdJwYvzrkBRz9Gn92jfmK8XP05-WEEYlx1A

Notice this is actually a shot of the stream after it was lifted a bit. It has much less spread, and can actually be aimed

or

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRX7RO4JASvK6J7iZ0rUGzB61Y9Up0jNpA9DOETV1-jeiSYs8WGmQ

the flamethrower stream is seen on the right.

liquid stream of hell as it should be.

This is how flamethrowers should be.

The weapon is super expensive to begin with, it should be worth it for more than just the ability to spray fire everywhere.

also, as referenced earlier, a bethesda flamethrower

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRUL4wprI3oCKBjq1X6YdSfefrq7oo_7JEYodgqwZgpJpSY5rep

I am so sad that I spent so much time collecting for a extremely underpowered weapon, I mean come on, Flamethrowers are supposed to be a little OP, expecially for the price

also, mega buff the base damage and the ammo count or lower the rate at which you loose ammo.

Make people want to use the flame throwers

last thing, The position from which it fires needs to be lowered, maybe a little higher than hip level?

Anyway, thats my two cents.

Wondering if anybody else feels the same.

i dont think it needs to be that extreme a change.<br /><br />not that those are bad suggestions. i just dont know if its worth the effort.<br /><br />i would like them to change the way it fires. it has the same mechanics as the flux rifle. on a flame thrower. its basicly a laser pointer with a pretty, useless, fire effect.

The flamethrowers in this game are weak, they feel like a bethesda flame thrower and they shouldn't.

What we need is a monster makeover of the ignis and make it into the firery water fire gun shooting a sticky stream of liquid hell, that it should be.

What I propose, is that the fire phyiscs be changed, a curving a liquid stream at a slow arch, and make the fire stick to objects.

also cut flame height to about 0.75 of normal flames

I realize that this is a lot of work but It would be nice to make this potentially awesome weapon worth the price.

Real flamethrower

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTwtoHONlLpsHFPst7CMI5SUDaaGABzOpHRc1EXnFnWkgfV3rAv

This is what it should look like with a about a 10-20 meter max range

more like

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRA4vLjvweqAQjn7X8VdJwYvzrkBRz9Gn92jfmK8XP05-WEEYlx1A

Notice this is actually a shot of the stream after it was lifted a bit. It has much less spread, and can actually be aimed

or

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRX7RO4JASvK6J7iZ0rUGzB61Y9Up0jNpA9DOETV1-jeiSYs8WGmQ

the flamethrower stream is seen on the right.

liquid stream of hell as it should be.

This is how flamethrowers should be.

The weapon is super expensive to begin with, it should be worth it for more than just the ability to spray fire everywhere.

also, as referenced earlier, a bethesda flamethrower

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRUL4wprI3oCKBjq1X6YdSfefrq7oo_7JEYodgqwZgpJpSY5rep

I am so sad that I spent so much time collecting for a extremely underpowered weapon, I mean come on, Flamethrowers are supposed to be a little OP, expecially for the price

also, mega buff the base damage and the ammo count or lower the rate at which you loose ammo.

Make people want to use the flame throwers

last thing, The position from which it fires needs to be lowered, maybe a little higher than hip level?

Anyway, thats my two cents.

Wondering if anybody else feels the same.

Actual flamethrowers don't actually spread out like in those pictures. It is like picture 1, a stream of flammable liquid made a-light. If the flame thrower actually went out in uncontrolled burst the user would be at harm that the liquid may just set off near the muzzle, burning the wielder. Sorry excuse me for not understanding your post, i agree XD

Edited by Jacate

Well, let's consider that these are games. Now, while games don't have to be identical to real life, there are some criteria that should be followed. I mean, real-life shotguns (at least modern ones) actually have quite a long range, but of course you can't SNIPE with them.

The flamethrower should have a reasonable range but, to make it actually useful, it should also have some degree of width and not just be a beam - I  believe we already have a laser weapon that does that. Plus, this'd make it quite the useful thing against Infested (which it is, sort of, already?) but not make it useless against Corpus or Grineer.

I also agree that there should be a DoT if there isn't one already, and it COULD create flamey spots on ground/walls that last for a while. However that makes it powerful performance-wise (especially on low end machines like me :c).

Mainly I think that a simple damage buff would make all the difference for it, it's already pretty good when maxed out and modded decently, but it definately falls behind other research weapons like the Acrid, Supra, Ogris, and now probably the Flux rifle. I'd say a straight damage buff would go a long way to making the weapon far more viable. A slight range increase and reduction in ammo consumption would be NICE, but if they put in a damage buff its probably not neccesary.

signed though I do understand the "Bethesda Flamethrower" issue...Fallout 3!!!! :shakes fist:

Zylo the Wolfbane

Mainly I think that a simple damage buff would make all the difference for it, it's already pretty good when maxed out and modded decently, but it definately falls behind other research weapons like the Acrid, Supra, Ogris, and now probably the Flux rifle. I'd say a straight damage buff would go a long way to making the weapon far more viable. A slight range increase and reduction in ammo consumption would be NICE, but if they put in a damage buff its probably not neccesary.

signed though I do understand the "Bethesda Flamethrower" issue...Fallout 3!!!! :shakes fist:

Zylo the Wolfbane

You also can't see crap while using it.

Well, let's consider that these are games. Now, while games don't have to be identical to real life, there are some criteria that should be followed. I mean, real-life shotguns (at least modern ones) actually have quite a long range, but of course you can't SNIPE with them.

The flamethrower should have a reasonable range but, to make it actually useful, it should also have some degree of width and not just be a beam - I  believe we already have a laser weapon that does that. Plus, this'd make it quite the useful thing against Infested (which it is, sort of, already?) but not make it useless against Corpus or Grineer.

I also agree that there should be a DoT if there isn't one already, and it COULD create flamey spots on ground/walls that last for a while. However that makes it powerful performance-wise (especially on low end machines like me :c).

When the flamethrower from killing floor hits the ground

there is like a 6 foot radius of fire.

i dont think it needs to be that extreme a change.<br /><br />not that those are bad suggestions. i just dont know if its worth the effort.<br /><br />i would like them to change the way it fires. it has the same mechanics as the flux rifle. on a flame thrower. its basicly a laser pointer with a pretty, useless, fire effect.

again the spread effect is when it hits'something.

Well, as far as I understand Ignis uses gas instead of liquid fuel so I am fine with its range. However low damage and cone. no DoT and no innate puncture make this gun useless.

My suggestion is:

1) Buff its damage (+30%)

2) Make the cone of fire 2 times bigger.

3) Make innate puncture vs enemies

4) Make a DoT affected by mods.

Well, as far as I understand Ignis uses gas instead of liquid fuel so I am fine with its range. However low damage and cone. no DoT and no innate puncture make this gun useless.

My suggestion is:

1) Buff its damage (+30%)

2) Make the cone of fire 2 times bigger.

3) Make innate puncture vs enemies

4) Make a DoT affected by mods.

the cone is already over sized, but other than that, all of these should be true.

The Ignis produces a stream of intense heat.

ingame it isn't a stream, it just spits fire everywhere. weak fire I might add, that blocks a good portion of your veiw.

Buff damage, yes.

Bigger cone, yes.

Puncture... definite no. Makes no sense. Let it hit the nearest 3 frontal targets and that's it.

DoT, ok but a weak one with chance to panic enemies. I never saw fire as a strong damage type vs. armored targets (in a reality sense).

Visual cone =/= damage cone. Even if it is big enough it is pointless since there is no puncture.

Ok, I think this would be easier to picture like a contiuous small fire grenade going off in a certian area every second.

The arch of the stream is the throw, and the place it hits is it's area of effect.

so whenever you fire it, It effects everything in that circle of attack, so it wouldn't need pucture theoretically.

Maxed the Ignis and sold after I had done. I felt the weapon was just not worth using at this stage of the game it does need a total rehaul to be considered usable compared to a majority of the weapons in the game.

It actually needs to shoot a wider cone.

Its damage needs to be increased by 4 or 5 times the amount to offset the range you have to be use it.

Needs another ammo type or its not usable for ammo efficiency.

Suggestions instead of flat number changes

Change the fuel type to liquid - anything the Tenno hits with flames the flames should stay for a while affecting the weapon user and other enemies being able to create paths of fire would be lovely addition.

Give the Ignis a nice DOT I understand that fires can die out but things on fire usually take damage while on fire...

Create new weapon type for continuous firing weapons with Ammo type Plasma -  Specific Mods for the weapon could greatly enhance it - increased range, dot length and better scaling mods could do wonders for both Ignis and the flux rifle.

Maxed the Ignis and sold after I had done. I felt the weapon was just not worth using at this stage of the game it does need a total rehaul to be considered usable compared to a majority of the weapons in the game.

It actually needs to shoot a wider cone.

Its damage needs to be increased by 4 or 5 times the amount to offset the range you have to be use it.

Needs another ammo type or its not usable for ammo efficiency.

Suggestions instead of flat number changes

Change the fuel type to liquid - anything the Tenno hits with flames the flames should stay for a while affecting the weapon user and other enemies being able to create paths of fire would be lovely addition.

Give the Ignis a nice DOT I understand that fires can die out but things on fire usually take damage while on fire...

Create new weapon type for continuous firing weapons with Ammo type Plasma -  Specific Mods for the weapon could greatly enhance it - increased range, dot length and better scaling mods could do wonders for both Ignis and the flux rifle.

A wider cone would be rediculous, seriously If they are gonna make a flame thrower, then need to make it at least a little realistic.

Also, the scorches can keep their shatty ignis's as they are.

Increase ammo capacity.

Give a lingering fire DoT effect equal to about 25% of the damage per second.

Give it innate target piercing.

Allow fire to linger on surfaces for a short time, dealing full damage-per second to any targets in it, but not leaving the DoT.

Edited by Duralumin

I don't feel the ignis should be like that. I feel like it's fine with it's current mode of fire, and simply needs an AoE effect, maybe something like a puncture mechanic that goes through anything but the scenery. That and a damage up, but that's it, really.

I feel like making it a stream would just be too hard on the players to use effectively while running around, not to mention easy to hit long range targets with.

Starting my Ignis soon.
Made me remember this thread!

>.> I'm probably going to put a reactor in it based on the premise that is a flamethrower and that alone.
<.< Still wouldn't say no to some buffs DE <3

Currently the ignis functions like an assault riffle that has bullets vanish after a short distance, and flame decals pasted along it's fire path to give the illusion that it is actually covering an area in fire. The flame thrower should deal AOE damage, and should set things on fire, it's supposed to be used for close quarter room clearing and area denial.