Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How I Would Expand On Melee Combat (In Full Detail)

Aspari

Disclaimer 1: This sort of thing isn't going to be anything new or fresh.

Disclaimer 2: I don't think the current melee system is bad. It just lacks depth.

Disclaimer 3: I am fully aware that there are other threads that talk about melee combat and how to make it better. This post is about how I would change melee combat.

I've thought of why melee combat doesn't feel as satisfying as it should be. It's because it lacks depth. All you really have to do is just mash the melee button or hold down the melee button with the occasional jump attack and slide attack. Not much else to it. Why not expand it?

Swords

Combo 1: E+E+E+E. ----- Diagonal right, diagonal left, horizontal, 360 degree turn and upward diagonal right. (lifts light enemies)

Combo 2: E+E (pause) E+E+E ------- Diagonal right, diagonal left, downward vertical, 360 degree turn and stab, pull out.

Lift attack: E*Space (cancels current combo) ------ Crescent kicks a single enemy into the air (cannot lift heavy enemies)

Melee to ranged carry-over: (During any combo) Mouse 1 ------  (Must have reticle aimed at desired target) (Juggles a light target that is in the air. Short duration)

Heavy combo 1: (Hold) E + (Hold) E + (Hold) E ------- Heavy horizontal, 360 degree turn and downward diagonal right, roundhouse kick. (Cannot knock back heavy enemies) 

Heavy combo 2: (Hold) E (pause) + (Hold) E --------- Heavy horizontal, downward bend of knees then heavy upward vertical

Grapple: Sprint + (Hold) Jump (Cannot grapple heavy enemies)

Grapple attack 1: E + E + E +E +E ---------- Four stabs, kicks enemy off of blade after fourth stab.

Grapple attack 2: (Hold) E ------ Throw enemy on ground then downward stab

Enemy reversal: Sprint + (Tap) Jump ---- Vault over enemy (stuns light and medium enemies but does not apply to Infested)

Enemy reversal attack: (After enemy reversal) E ------ Roundhouse kick (If the enemy is unaware, the attack is a stab and counted as a stealth attack.)

That's all I got for tonight, will add more to the OP on a later date.

Edited by Aspari

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the devs have stated they didn't want to make this game like combo heavy DmC or anything like that.  I think the most they said they would do is add light and heavy attacks.

I believe they did say that. However, keeping DMC in mind I decided to go with more dynamic melee combat rather than combo focused melee combat. It'd be more comparable to Sleeping Dogs. Or Darksiders but without the whole switching between two melee weapons deal.

Edited by Aspari

I would like it if they at least allowed me to aim my melee attacks with my cross hair. Knocking an enemy down and then having to wait for them to get up again to hit them because my attacks are all above waist high is frustrating. Yes I know there are downed melee attacks, but the trigger for them is buggy and unreliable, and half the time the animation takes so long that you would be better off just spamming the melee button or doing a charged attack. 

Also, head shotting and enemy with a perfectly placed sword swing would be very satisfying. 

Edited by CosyPigeon