Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Block Function-More Effective For Higher Stamina Cost.

Ronyn

OK.

Warframe has a block button but at this time, blocking doesn't stop much damage and is harder to aim properly than it needs to be. So many players either barely use it (if at all) or even don't know it's in the game.

So let us talk about it's potential.

It could add depth to the melee system by creating that ebb and flow of defensive and offensive actions that make help make melee compelling.

It could make melee combat more viable to use against ranged enemies by granting the capability to safely close the distance.

The question is how do we ensure that is the result of the mechanic?

To keep things simple I am going to cut to the chase.

1: Make blocking aim towards the crosshairs not where the character happens to be moving.

Warframe uses a shooter style control scheme where our shots and our slashes are all directed where we aim.

As such we are trained to aim toward the enemy while moving in whatever direction is best. Let us keep it all intuative and unify the block to work that same way.

2: Make blocking WAY more effective at actually blocking fire but make it cost MUCH more stamina to do so.

This would make it useful for those who employ and add a big use for slotting stamina mods. Those who slot for it would be more tank-like. They would be characters who can literally block incoming fire for team mates.

Those who don't slot for it would be able to get good use out of when necessary but it would cost too much stamina to rely on often, preventing it from being overpowered.

3: Well timed blocks should "unbalance" attackers who are trying to strike us in melee.

Everything from grineer with machetes to infested with claws would offer up an opportunity to use our timing skills to unbalance them.

Unbalanced is a temporary condition that essentially stuns an enemy and makes them take increased damage from melee attacks.

4: There should be melee weapon mods to slot in that increase the effect of blocking in some way. We currently can increase various offensive aspects of our melee weapons, if someone wants to increase the defensive aspects instead it should be a choice they can make. Moreover some of the choices may bridge the gap between the two-things like "Rejector" that allows a certain percentage of incoming fire to be send back to the enemy.

Or "Geo Guard" that allows a weapons elemental effects to trigger on enemies who try to melee you in a blocked position.

5: A clearer UI indicating how good or bad each weapon is at blocking damage.

Thank you for reading.

That would be awesome!!!!!! I have personally never used blocking. I actually didnt even know it could be done in game till I talked a co-worker/friend into downloading and playing the game with my boyfriend and I and he was the person who told me about blocking. I think your on a great idea for the blocking in this game!!!!!

So few replies...lol

Some of the recent comments in other threads has lead me to believe that some folks would rather get rid of blocking or make it some passive effect as opposed to making it a more relevant choice for a player to make.

I feel that would be a missed opportunity to have a truly deep defensive system that would add to the game In many ways.

Edited by Ronyn

So few replies...lol

Some of the recent comments in other threads has lead me to believe that some folks would rather get rid of blocking or make it some passive effect as opposed to making it a more relevant choice for a player to make.

I feel that would be a missed opportunity to have a truly deep defensive system that would add to the game In many ways.

The problem is that even though you have made a few great points, most people in these forums are busy complaining about overpowered guns or frames they have never used. More often than not, cool contributions like yours are left in the dust.

Another problem is that this probably hats been suggested ten times already, so the interest is reduced even further.

The problem is that even though you have made a few great points, most people in these forums are busy complaining about overpowered guns or frames they have never used. More often than not, cool contributions like yours are left in the dust.

Another problem is that this probably hats been suggested ten times already, so the interest is reduced even further.

Fair enough.

Though in my searches I have found suggestions and lines of reasoning that were similar though not quite the same as mine.

1) No. I would like to see you block with half your body turned until you reach your maximum limit and continue moving like normal. You aren't human if you do that and this game does not need aliens with upper body split from the lower body. Plus it would look bad.

2) Again something I don't agree on. You need to fix your problem with thinking that 'blocking = slicing bullets' cause it clearly is not. Rather, it would be best if blocking were to not consume stamina if attacks are not being blocked.

3) Rather than unbalance an enemy, I would like to see a counter animation. I'm pretty sure 99% of you guys would want a counter over a "stagger".

4) I wouldn't mind that but I think there are better ways to go about than keep the S#&$ty system intact and slap mods to fix it. Mods comes after the fix to the viability of blocking, not before.

PS: Don't post in my thread linking to your own post here. Respond properly by talking about MY opening posts or anything inside but don't ever try to spam your ideas onto other people's threads. You have been warned (cause I can and will report you and your posts).

PPS: It's not that I want to be a b**** about stuff but I don't want someone to come and spam their ideas onto other people's threads. It's like having someone else tell you what to do and how you do anything. Obnoxious and unnecessary.

Edited by matrixEXO

1) No. I would like to see you block with half your body turned until you reach your maximum limit and continue moving like normal. You aren't human if you do that and this game does not need aliens with upper body split from the lower body. Plus it would look bad.

2) Again something I don't agree on. You need to fix your problem with thinking that 'blocking = slicing bullets' cause it clearly is not. Rather, it would be best if blocking were to not consume stamina if attacks are not being blocked.

3) Rather than unbalance an enemy, I would like to see a counter animation. I'm pretty sure 99% of you guys would want a counter over a "stagger".

4) I wouldn't mind that but I think there are better ways to go about than keep the S#&$ty system intact and slap mods to fix it. Mods comes after the fix to the viability of blocking, not before.

PS: Don't post in my thread linking to your own post here. Respond properly by talking about MY opening posts or anything inside but don't ever try to spam your ideas onto other people's threads. You have been warned (cause I can and will report you and your posts).

PPS: It's not that I want to be a b**** about stuff but I don't want someone to come and spam their ideas onto other people's threads. It's like having someone else tell you what to do and how you do anything. Obnoxious and unnecessary.

1)If you can keep a gun trained toward the crosshairs you can keep your sword in that direction as well. Both require some amount of independent upper body animations from the lower body, both allow some amount of independent movement and aim direction.

2)I made no statement about slicing bullets, I didn't even address how blocking takes stamina when not actually blocking bullets.

I just said that it should be more effective at stopping incoming fire for an increased stamina cost. separate issue.

3)Define "Counter" animation? Like a specific attack your character automatically does after a well timed block? those are cool... 

but they are actually more constrictive as it forces attack when sometimes its best to use a moment of opportunity to escape or use your firearm.

For the record-I make no claim to know what most people would prefer, nor am I going t buy into your view of what most people would prefer, I simply offered some thoughts on the matter.

4)Considering I already expressed my intent and ideas on how to fix the core system of blocking, my mod suggestions are meant to as additions not the solution in themselves.

PS-I feel it is easier to simply quote my thoughts on the block issue than re-typing it.

It is called being involved in a subject in the multiple places it pops up, you want to call it spam that is your choice.

make no mistake it is not intended to be obnoxious simply efficient use of time.

Whether you feel it is necessary or not, doesn't effect my actions or intent.

Spreading a thought is in no way telling people what to do or how to think.

I've been respectful, polite, and non-confrontational on this issue.

please, let us all be cool considering we are all just trying to offer thoughts on how to help fix blocking in Warframe.

And no, the mods aren't going to get me for simply quoting my post in other applicable threads.

Edited by Ronyn

PS-I feel it is easier to simply quote my thoughts on the block issue than re-typing it.

It is called being involved in a subject in the multiple places it pops up, you want to call it spam that is your choice.

make no mistake it is not intended to be obnoxious simply efficient use of time.

Whether you feel it is necessary or not, doesn't effect my actions or intent.

Spreading a thought is in no way telling people what to do or how to think.

I've been respectful, polite, and non-confrontational on this issue.

please, let us all be cool considering we are all just trying to offer thoughts on how to help fix blocking in Warframe.

And no, the mods aren't going to get me for simply quoting my post in other applicable threads.

Rather, just pm me to see your thread with a link in the description. Else, don't come to my thread to promote your idea (which obviously already has it's own thread). It's called spam to me that way. You may say it's fine and all but it's simply promoting an idea in unwanted territory. You came to my thread, you talk about my things. You may not like it, fine. You may want to say you have a better idea on how it works (ps: link to this thread), fine.

Rather, just pm me to see your thread with a link in the description. Else, don't come to my thread to promote your idea (which obviously already has it's own thread). It's called spam to me that way. You may say it's fine and all but it's simply promoting an idea in unwanted territory. You came to my thread, you talk about my things. You may not like it, fine. You may want to say you have a better idea on how it works (ps: link to this thread), fine.

One never knows what thread will get the most traction, and like all subjects, the same information tends to get repeated all over the place. 

I posted it here as opposed to re-typing. Considering its all about blocking I believe it does belong here. 

Your opinion is welcome but me posting here isn't aimed entirely at you.

I actually thought a lot of your ideas and mine would work well together.

I didn't even view it as an either or situation.

Edited by Ronyn

-snip-

Doesn't mean you need to copy paste or quote the whole thing all in. I would have preferred that you added some sentences into that first post of yours (in my thread) as well if you ever thought about that. As no indication was given, it was deemed to me as a promotion of your own idea which already has your own thread on it. Call it whatever you want but I prefer to at least be extra careful on these accounts. But hey, at least you "learned" something, right?

Edited by matrixEXO

Doesn't mean you need to copy paste or quote the whole thing all in. I would have preferred that you added some sentences into that first post of yours (in my thread) as well if you ever thought about that. As no indication was given, it was deemed to me as a promotion of your own idea which already has your own thread on it. Call it whatever you want but I prefer to at least be extra careful on these accounts. But hey, at least you "learned" something, right?

Just seems we have slightly different views on etiquette. Its all good.