The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Lag With Ancients

Sjuuk

Since U9 & its assorted hotfixes I have noticed that when you kill an ancient with a bolt type weapon their corpse will spaz out and stretch across the screen & generally just fly all over the place causing fps to stutter down into the single digits. This visual oddity has also happened for as long as I can remember when a door closes on their corpse, but I've never had any fps lag with that scenario.

I can kill them fine with my kunai (or vipers) as well as melee (orthos or gram), but finish them off with a Boltor rifle or pistol and I'm in for some chop until their corpse despawns. I suspect its the physics going mental because the corpse will also randomly shoot off in directions that make no sense. Having them throw their lifeless corpse at you as if shot in the back was not pleasant. Poor bugger just wanted a hug, I guess.

My squad and I had this during the forma alert yesterday. It was an Infected Mobile Defense and there were dozens of the new Ancients running at us. As you say, the corpses would go crazy, glitching through the walls and floor, spazzing all over the place. My rig is pretty good, but whenever this happened I got a HUGE decrease in FPS, almost rendering the game unplayable.

I can say too that I have noticed this clipping behaviour with other enemy types, but this is the first time I have suffered lag because of it.

Vauban's Vortex is reported by some to also cause lag and I believe it's because they cause a similar effect.

It will stretch out ancients randomly and they will keep distorting around (looks like a messed up vertex shader or the breaking apart wasn't done properly for them) and can cause a HUGE FPS drop. This needs to be fixed ASAP.

Edited by Aerroon

Just an update to the graphical lag/fps issues with ancients I have noticed since leveling up some other weapons/frames today- Any sort of physics interaction with ancients will proc the animation problems, be it via warframe skill usage (the levitate from Rhino's stomp ulti) or weapon/mod interactions (stagger, stun, elemental effects as well as the bolt pinning physics I already mentioned)

Ancients that hit Rhino with Iron Skin on will get 'stuck' and just stand there until physics kicks in and shifts them out of the animation. The arm grab ranged attack is also 'stuck'. No graphical lag with this, it just looks funny and makes them a zero threat. I was still getting knocked down from the initial hit.