The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Signs Of Hope For E-Sports Or Plain Ridiculous?

Niryco

You decide:

http://asia.gamespot.com/news/us-government-recognizes-league-of-legends-players-as-pro-athletes-6411377

To quote the Article

'So the United States government recognizes League of Legends pro players as professional athletes and award visas to essentially work in the United States under that title," Allen said.'

So what is your stance on this?

Edited by Jacate

great for the community. game is irrelevant.

government recognition is a great step towards making e-sports a bigger phenomenon than it already is.

Indeed, probably this may be the turning point in the vision and the negative stereotyping of games?

Athlete simply means one who participates in something to win a prize. In other words, a greedy @(&*@#$#.

We shouldn't give a S#&$ 'bout 'em, though.

But don't they commit their time to playing the game, like training? Eventually it is like study and when most(not all) care about the job and money not the degree. So those who are working to their desires are indeed greedy actually.

But don't they commit their time to playing the game, like training? Eventually it is like study and when most(not all) care about the job and money not the degree. So those who are working to their desires are indeed greedy actually.

Whoops, I worded myself wrongly/Picked the wrong things to say.

*Cough*

OK, first, gaming for fun is fine, but when money comes into play, it can become a little subjective. If they dedicate their lives to E-Sports Pro-gaming or some S#&$ like that, they start threading between a very fine line between playing for money or enjoying their hobby while being able to make money.

Those who go all "I MUST GAME FOR MONEY. I MUST GET THAT PRIZE AT ANY COST. IT IS MY LIFE TO DO SO." are really greedy and I feel that they may affect future games negatively in some way.

While "Oh hey look! They are giving me money for what I love doing. Might as well go for it." is the best way of life in my opinion.

It's pretty much the same as real Athletes. Since the beginning of the Olympics, it's been like that. Fair play doesn't really exist when the prize you get is massive.

I guess its all a matter of time before even sleeping turns unto a sport. 

anywho I guess this is a birth of something new.

There is already a guinness book of record for sleeping, i think it is already a sport.