The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So Is Burston The Best Rifle Now ?

rpglord

there are some engines that have a clock timer that things like guns base themselves off of. if you sync off a clock timer, then framerate is not a problem. 

CODfishy has the exact same problem. the game is completely different on consoles which can barely sometimes obtain their target 30FPS. while PC's will be able to get 120, 180, or higher framerates. so on PC guns will shoot a LOT faster. 

syncing guns to framerate is $&*&*#(%&. if you want a game to be working as expected, never do it. it means that the guy over there with SLI Titans will have a super easy time (guns will be shooting a lot faster)compared to anyone with a reasonable framerate, like 60. 

it makes for very skewed terms of balance. if players all see a vastly different experience with all equipment, then good luck getting correct information for balancing.

I have no idea why de made their engine the way they did and it something they should fix before they make a PS4 version of the game. It only took me 2 minutes of searching to find out how other companies fixed similar issues its not like it is a Top-Secret.

This is what team fortress does, warframe doesn't have a server but its issues are caused by latency somewhere in their code.

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Latency_Compensating_Methods_in_Client/Server_In-game_Protocol_Design_and_Optimization

Edited by LazyKnight

I have no idea why de made their engine the way they did and it something they should fix before they make a PS4 version of the game. It only took me 2 minutes of searching to find out how other companies fixed similar issues its not like it is a Top-Secret.

This is what team fortress does, warframe doesn't have a server but its issues are caused by latency somewhere in their code.

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Latency_Compensating_Methods_in_Client/Server_In-game_Protocol_Design_and_Optimization

This shouldn't be related. The issue is that stuff which happens in game is somehow tied to the amount of frames the game draws. It's probably not even something directly related but perhaps an update cycle is only started when a render cycle is started (thus meaning that you can uncap framerate and updates will tick at a set rate, but if your framerate falls short your update cycles will take a hit and weapons just wouldn't work properly). It might also be that in code they're completely independent but because the code doesn't properly prioritize (I have no idea how you would actually make this work) when framerate takes a hit from CPU performance issues then update cycles will fall short as well. (I'm guessing this could be "solved" or "alleviated" by some threading magic and having more resources focused towards the update cycles or run as the primary thread, but all of this gets really complicated and they might actually run into OS limitations for the model they chose.)

The problem with trying to fix an issue like this is that it could in the best bad scenario cause unintended bugs to occur and in the worst case scenario it would be impossible without having to rewrite a large chunk of the game. There's probably some dirty solution for it though (something like what was suggested earlier about automatic rifles - if those work fine independently of framerate).

gets really complicated and they might actually run into OS limitations for the model they chose.)

The problem with trying to fix an issue like this is that it could in the best bad scenario cause unintended bugs to occur and in the worst case scenario it would be impossible without having to rewrite a large chunk of the game. There's probably some dirty solution for it though (something like what was suggested earlier about automatic rifles - if those work fine independently of framerate).

I am not even going to pretend to know enough about programing game engines and the ins and outs of how they work to say how to fix it. I would just prefer if they can't fix it in a 2week period(drop it if it is a time sink) and just do a dirty fix. If it linger till release it will never be fixed.

Edit: I am sure it the fault of the engine,

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/83224-downward-spiral-in-game-performance/

Edited by LazyKnight

I am not even going to pretend to know enough about programing game engines and the ins and outs of how they work to say how to fix it. I would just prefer if they can't fix it in a 2week period(drop it if it is a time sink) and just do a dirty fix. If it linger till release it will never be fixed.

It might be impossible to fix without rewriting the whole thing, in a better way that will not inevitably create more bugs, which will probably take years. I think we're better off just getting used to it because I don't see this issue going away any time soon.