Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So Why Was Nightmare Mode Made To Be Random Missions And Not The Side Missions?

Narroo

So, why are nightmare levels randomly selected every so often instead of having the side levels always nightmare mode by default?  It seems to make more sense.  Consider the following:

There is a massive issue with filler levels and completing the star map in this game.  Go to Sedna, Europa, or Pluto.  Find a far, side off mission that's not known for anything.  See how it takes to find a group.

For instance, in Sedna: There are multiple Mobile Defense Missions.  But if you select the ones aside from Kappa, you're going to have a heck of a time finding people to play it which will make it near impossible to complete the Star Map unless you have friends you can get to help you.  Kappa usually throws you into a 4 map team near instantly.

Why is this?  Well, Kappa is famous for being a good leveling spot and is easy to unlock.  So everyone goes to Kappa.  No one goes to Graeae even though the higher level enemies give more affinity.

The problem here is that the levels in this game are highly interchangable.  There are only 5 or so items that make the average level unique:  Faction, Level Range, Tileset, Mission Type, and drops.  Selecting a level is really a matter of matching up what parameters you want.  Given the large numbers of levels in this game, there are a ton of near identical repeats.  They're filler.

This causes people to not want to play most of the levels if they don't have to.  Rather, they'll stick with the levels whose parameters or location is most convenient for them, such as Kappa or M Prime.  The only time people play the other levels are to unlock the locations they want:  If a level is a terminal side level it's probably not going to be popular, and this gets worse as the levels become harder and people want to do easier levels, or can't solo a mission, especially defense style missions.

This makes going through certain levels difficult because you need a party for some missions, like defense.  In addition, it also makes the game bland and unattractive and a bit of a slog.  What the game needs is more unique levels in addition to the main "path" levels.

----

Then there is nightmare mode.  Currently, to unlock nightmare mode you have to complete all the levels on a map: A challenge on many maps because most people don't want to play random levels for no reason, due to the fact they'll all mostly filler.  Worse, one you unlock nightmare mode, the nightmare levels are random.  This creates two problem:

Nightmare mode being activated on levels you may want to play on regular:  "Hey, I want to farm the raptor.  Oh wait, never mind.  I suppose unlocking nightmare mode was a bad idea."

It worsens the Queuing Problem I've mentioned before. "This level isn't too popular, but I should be able to get a party.  Oh wait, now I can only Queue with people who are queuing for the nightmare version of this level.  This might not happen."

---

So, to recap:

For Nightmare mode

*Nightmare mode has problems being unlocked due to difficultly in finding people who want to play unnotable filler levels.

*Nightmare mode being unlocked can make these problems worse.

*Going through the trouble of unlocking nightmare mode can screw the player over.

For the levels in general

*People don't want to play most levels because of the sheer amount of identical filler levels.

*As such, there are a number of defunct terminal levels that aren't ever used.  They just need some way to differentiate themselves.

---

So, after thinking about this, I came to a conclusion: Having the terminal levels on the map be the nightmare mode levels would make much more sense.  It would make the levels unique and give people a reason to go unlock and challenge them, as opposed to the regular main levels.  Since the levels would be nightmare mode permanently, you don't have to worry about the RNG messing up your farming plans.  It would go a long way towards fixing most of these problems I've mentioned, AND would have a great benefit!   With the reduced number of possible nightmare levels, and the fixed nature of it, it would be easier to make better challenges for the levels, and other alterations.

The thing is, I can't believe that no one on the develop team didn't think of making the terminal levels nightmare levels.  So I have to ask, why didn't you go that way?  Is there something I'm just missing here?  I don't mean to impose, I'm just sincerely confused at this point.

I totally agree with this suggestion. It's even better than making Nightmare mode optional. There are definitely quite a few branches within each of the planetary systems that lead to dead ends. Those dead end nodes would be -perfect- for Nightmare Mode, and, as you said, they can be customized a bit more if they're permanently on such nodes.

Higher level players can enjoy far harsher conditions. Lower level players or people just wanting to farm can do so happily without fear of seeing their favorite place become a skull icon.

I'd also suggest that at least one nightmare node per planetary system be an extreme version of the Boss of that planet. Just think - Vor at his full potential, maybe level 100+ or so. And of course, he'll have a better chance at dropping certain items (or have a "Prime" version of the Cronus? Or the Seer? The possibilities are endless).

Definitely got my upvote. I really hope DE sees this. Keep this thread on the front page until Monday, at least!

Edited by SoulEchelon

I totally agree with this suggestion. It's even better than making Nightmare mode optional. There are definitely quite a few branches within each of the planetary systems that lead to dead ends. Those dead end nodes would be -perfect- for Nightmare Mode, and, as you said, they can be customized a bit more if they're permanently on such nodes.

Higher level players can enjoy far harsher conditions. Lower level players or people just wanting to farm can do so happily without fear of seeing their favorite place become a skull icon.

I'd also suggest that at least one nightmare node per planetary system be an extreme version of the Boss of that planet. Just think - Vor at his full potential, maybe level 100+ or so. And of course, he'll have a better chance at dropping certain items (or have a "Prime" version of the Cronus? Or the Seer? The possibilities are endless).

Definitely got my upvote. I really hope DE sees this. Keep this thread on the front page until Monday, at least!

Thank you!  I was thinking of the boss thing myself; I'm not sure they'd want to put an "EX" boss on the map.  I'd like it though.

The one issue I can think of is adding new planets; if they add a new location they might have to do it via a previously terminal mission.  Of course, that's the last thing they should be doing right now and when they do, I think they game could take "de-nightmareing" a mission if necessary.