The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Framerate Drops Involving Bad Internet Connection (Not For Host)

Mitchad95

Ok, so I have been playing Warframe on different accounts for a while, and it has gotten better and better, but there is something bugging me. And that would be how I get into a game with 4 people, (Or I host a game with 4 people) and the frame rate drops massively to the point of it being almost unplayable because only ONE person in the game has a bad connection, so if I'm host. I should have perfect frame rate the entire time because I am running off of my internet connection. But then someone joins and the frame rate instantly drops, because they have a horrible connection, and it affects everybody in the game. And if the person leaves, all is fine again. I would really like this addressed, because this has really ruined Online gameplay for me. I tend to run solo missions now. Because I get sick of having a 3 Frame Per Second rate because of someone elses connection.

-Mitchad95

This sounds more like it is a hardware issue. 

The thing with Warframe is that the hosts computer has to run the calculations for however many people are in the game, more people equals bigger strain on the hosts system.

3 fps on co-op?

something's wrong on your computer, not your internet. internet connection wont affect frame rate. did you use program like bandicam or fraps?

first-aid kit:
- update video driver
- clear temp folder

- disable useless startup programs / running programs on background (adobe updater, google update, ituneshelper, stupidthings etc)
- set your 3d settings (disable anti aliasing etc on game and on your vga control panel)

but it wont guarantee your problem. 3 fps.... is like, your body caught unknown mysterious zombie disease.

I'm having this problem. I cannot get decent framerate in "online" I usually can only play with local friends. Higher pings drastically hurt my framerate. Instead of typical lag issues (rubber band etc) the frame rate begins to lag. Solo is always fine, local friends is fine. But online, forget about it, turns into a slideshow.

Love those people here responding always in the same way in every thread: "It must be you, the game is fine".

The game is NOT fine! I experience the same thing and all of my mates do, too. If the connection is slow, fps go down too - as host and as client. I must agree, I have never seen this in any other game, but warframe seems to be special...

Warframe needs dedicated servers, the amount of (uncompressed, redundant) data that has to be communicated is simply too much for the average internet connection. Just look how out of 10 random games, 7 lag like hell. Don't tell me now all those lag hosts need better internet connections.

Seriously, Thank you for pointing it out. It's not a hardware issue otherwise I would be lagging in Solo and Clan games. It's a problem with servers. Thats my guess. Not 100% sure, but that seems to be the case. It's just something you've got to get used to I suppose.

that's peer2peer type of hosting problem:

from wikipedia:

• It is very difficult to keep all peers synchronised. Minute differences between peers can escalate over time to game-breaking paradoxes.
  • It is very difficult to support new peers joining part-way through a game.
  • Each peer must communicate with all other peers, limiting the number of connected players
  • Each peer must wait for every other peer's message before simulating the next "network frame", resulting in all players experiencing the same latency as the player with the worst connection.
Edited by Strac_CRO

Might get better if you enable uPnP, which should make the speed of P2P better...

uPnP does not affect speed, it affects connectability.
That may actually make the problem worst. All that does it increase the number of ack packets windows will send in response to a communication. By doing this, a larger slice of your bandwidth is used to send a virtually empty ack packet, that just confirms the last communication was received.

Secondly most games use UDP datagrams to send data, it provides more throughput with less overhead, ack packet are for TCP and have overhead to ensure communication. LeatrixLatencyFix will have almost no affect, unless your benchmarking you communication to say the login server where TCP is used.

Edited by aim4it