The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

"necromancer" Warframe Class

Overlord_Hades

So before I list my skill ideas here the concept. The was the game is by my understanding is a unofficial sequal to the game darksector. The games main focus seemes to be the technocyte virus that could basically lead to you becomeing like an infested or a warframe. Useing this logic as my foundation this "Necromancer" class will revolve around him useing his own special T-cyte virus to use his abilities.So keep this in mind please becuase this is how the concept of a necromancer fitting the theme of warframe and I look forward to anyones feedback and questions :).

Abilities:

1) A (single target or AoE) DoT dealing X damage. If this ability kills an enemy then it will convert them into an ally for X seconds.

EDIT2: * possibly take away the DoT and make the skill only if enemies die while its active on them.

** If a lich form is added the possibilty of changeing the skill from a single target to and AoE is on the tabel. ( skill change idea )

2) Summons a portal that releases X number of "minion(s)"  to attack enemies for X amount of time.

* I would imagion them using a previously existing enemy sprite, for example an infested enemy, as the sprite for this move but maybe it could get its own sprite so players dont confuse it with an enemy while fighting mobs.

3) Revives X number of enemies in an AoE to fight for you for X amount of time.

4) This ability causes all enemies that have been converted to explode in an AoE dealing X damage.

* I was thinking this ability could do damage based off level of enemy or possibly % health max or current.

** Also I planned this ability as the kicker that brought the whole kit together since this necromancer concepts basically a minion master but the nova basically got this ability so im not sure if it should be changed. Maybe with a "boss" type badass minion ?

EDIT:*** Another idea for an ultamate could be a type of lich form where the necro gains: more damage on his abilities, increased range on abilities, and/or more minions gain on his 2 and 3. ( or possibly unlocks new abilities based on his old ones ? such as 1 goes from single target to AoE and maybe other changes ? )

EDIT2:**** Possible ultamate change. You target an area and all necro minions run to a location and explode or expela poison gas and die.

New Ideas or functions:

EDIT2: Another interesting skill idea was put forth to make all converted enemies expel poison similat to an infest toxic ancient. This would add another demention to the necro and add interesting interaction and strategy with certian enemies. ( not sure what i would replace this with though.

Edited by Overlord_Hades

1 and 3 - poorly thought-out ideas.Too corny, if not to say that you touched Nyx features. You know about 4, so look what you brought here. Only one skill idea without visual concept, also looks pretty useless for most of situations. Bad topic.

Edited by Enchillado

1 and 3 - poorly thought-out ideas.Too corny, if not to say that you touched Nyx features. You know about 4, so look what you brought here. Only one skill idea without visual concept, also looks pretty useless for most of situations. Bad topic.

Well I respect your opinion but what would you like to change about them, I dont own the nyx but after looking into it my 1 and 3 do touch on nyx features although they still do the job diffrently and to reach full potential you do need to kill the enemies first. To say they are corney though i think isnt good critizm because i dont know about you but the main power of a necromancer is the manipulation of the dead, so what do you want a necro without that power ? That wouldnt be much of a necro would it ? The 4 skill i made before the nova came out cause I thought up this idea like a month into me starting this game so it kind of sucks it most likely wouldnt get this skill. However I did suggest the possability of summoning a boss type minion or hell maybe he could get a litch form that increases his damage/ skill range/ and minion count, but you didnt realy say anything about that part. Finally the one skill you seem to think is useless would be what is his main sorse of defense when you cant rack up a body count to defend himself as this would most likly be a squishy class.

Now lets see what you brought to the table. Critizm that has some fair ground, fallowed by a lack of imagionation, and a general slam on the topic without any though on how to make it better. so care to tell me what you would change and do because I just explained my thoughts to you. Please give me some valuable feedback and changes, dont just slam the topic and move on. This should be a place for ideas to grow, not be crushed.

Edited by Overlord_Hades

First skill retought: it does NOT do any dmg, but it is aoe, and the enemy just has to die while he is affected by the skill. (Would make it more useful with allies as other would surely steal the kill).
Second skill: Wall of Minions!!!! Hella badass, good defense and offense.
Third skill: Classic necromancer skill. Can think of 2 versions:

-10 energy: only reanimates targeted corpse.

-75 energy: all corpse in X metre radius.
4th skill (I'm unsure with this suggestion): change it a little: "Command word: Death" All of your minions charge toward the the area pointed by the cursor and suicide.

First skill retought: it does NOT do any dmg, but it is aoe, and the enemy just has to die while he is affected by the skill. (Would make it more useful with allies as other would surely steal the kill).

Second skill: Wall of Minions!!!! Hella badass, good defense and offense.

Third skill: Classic necromancer skill. Can think of 2 versions:

-10 energy: only reanimates targeted corpse.

-75 energy: all corpse in X metre radius.

4th skill (I'm unsure with this suggestion): change it a little: "Command word: Death" All of your minions charge toward the the area pointed by the cursor and suicide.

You I like, this is very good feed back. I agree with you suggestion on my 1 because you do have a point that it could easily get stolen thus negating the effect. Glad you like and see the point of my second skill :). As for my third skill it would be an AoE revive unless the lich form was implamented, then i would say doing a -10/-75 skill change would be a glorious idea. As for the final skill I like you tweak, it could be a concentrated AoE explosion of all nerco minions, it wouldnt be exactly like the nova, it would make the skill more of a big enemy/ mob/ boss killer skill and it would still tie into the idea of a finale move where you use the minions as cannon fodder that completes the class. Very good feed back and I thank you for it.

People who talk about how the necromancer idea is brought up a lot probably don't recall that there was a point where the Design Council was basically voting between "Necromancer" and "Antimatter" as Warframe archetypes. Just throwing that out there. It's suggested a lot because it's a cool idea and one of the more popular archetypes in nearly any game.

As for a unique take on his abilities, I've got some input.

First of all, one skill would be a generic "raise enemy to fight for x amount of time." spell. This is nearly unavoidable. If we want a NECROMANCER, he has to have some sort of Necromancy. It's kinda a given. I'd say this skill would either be his 1, the first he will get to use and the cheapest, or his 2 which is only slightly less accessible and costly. If it was his one, I'd say select an enemy that is "marked for death" and upon being killed it is raised for X amount of seconds. If it is the 2, then make it target X amount of enemies nearby the Necromancer to mark for death, perhaps dealing a bit of base damage.

One more important, VERY important, bit would be that the Necromancer's minions would not be using the weapons they had to begin with. They would be deformed by the Technocyte virus the Necro used and thusly unable to use their normal means of combat (save the infested, who would basically remain the same.) This seperates him from Nyx rather well, since Nyx takes over an enemies mind, whereas Necromancer would simply take their body.

Now, further fleshing out his uniqueness, let's look at one of the most annoying monstrosities ever conceived by DE. The Toxic Ancient. Yes, I'm suggesting that the Necromancer's 3 cause a corrosive virus of sorts, which would waft off of his active minions and deal damage. Direct health damage, for that matter, because if Toxics can ignore our shields why can't our poisons ignore enemy shields?

This skill on it's own seperates Necromancer decently enough by giving a few unique mechanics, namely access to shield ignoring damage and another way to get Poison damage. Now, now, lets not automatically claim I'm copying Saryn. She is the poison mistress, but others can use poison to their advantage too!

So, a mock skill kit for him would be:

1: Necromancer injects an enemy with his own strand of the Technocyte virus. When the target dies, their corpse rises again to battle as a mutated monster with either quick melee attacks or heavy stunning attacks, depending on the type of unit slain. (Regulars would be quick attackers, Heavies would be heavy attackers.) Limit of minions increases with rank, up to four. (One per rank, and one at unranked.)

2: Necromancer marks a target for death by injecting a special strand of the Technocyte Virus that weakens the target, slowing, damaging, and reducing the damage dealt by the target for X amount of time. During this time, any active Necromancer minions will be attracted to this target.

3: Necromancer's active minions begin to secrete the Technocyte virus within themselves as a highly corrosive gas, which eats away at any enemies within it's range.

4: Necromancer conjures the Technocyte virus into a swarm around himself, reducing damage taken by X% for X duration. During this time, all allies within the cloud (including his own Minions.) will apply the effect of his 2 (minus the minion targeting) on every attack from a weapon.

So, we've got a debuffer, who can summon minions, and who can deal damage ignoring shields. However, his abilities do have tradeoffs. His ultimate will be less useful without teammates, though not useless for obvious reasons, his minions will be decently powerful but not ungodly, he won't be crowding the screen with zombie hordes, he still provides the playstyle of a Necromancer (Minion master with crippling dark magic.) and depending on numbers he shouldn't be overpowered inherently.

All in all, I feel this is an interesting kit that could be implemented (though perhaps not in it's current form) into the game. With exact numbers being handled by the folks at DE, and a few kit tweaks as necessary, I feel this could work. Thoughts?

Edited by Adumu

People who talk about how the necromancer idea is brought up a lot probably don't recall that there was a point where the Design Council was basically voting between "Necromancer" and "Antimatter" as Warframe archetypes. Just throwing that out there. It's suggested a lot because it's a cool idea and one of the more popular archetypes in nearly any game.

As for a unique take on his abilities, I've got some input.

First of all, one skill would be a generic "raise enemy to fight for x amount of time." spell. This is nearly unavoidable. If we want a NECROMANCER, he has to have some sort of Necromancy. It's kinda a given. I'd say this skill would either be his 1, the first he will get to use and the cheapest, or his 2 which is only slightly less accessible and costly. If it was his one, I'd say select an enemy that is "marked for death" and upon being killed it is raised for X amount of seconds. If it is the 2, then make it target X amount of enemies nearby the Necromancer to mark for death, perhaps dealing a bit of base damage.

One more important, VERY important, bit would be that the Necromancer's minions would not be using the weapons they had to begin with. They would be deformed by the Technocyte virus the Necro used and thusly unable to use their normal means of combat (save the infested, who would basically remain the same.) This seperates him from Nyx rather well, since Nyx takes over an enemies mind, whereas Necromancer would simply take their body.

Now, further fleshing out his uniqueness, let's look at one of the most annoying monstrosities ever conceived by DE. The Toxic Ancient. Yes, I'm suggesting that the Necromancer's 3 cause a corrosive virus of sorts, which would waft off of his active minions and deal damage. Direct health damage, for that matter, because if Toxics can ignore our shields why can't our poisons ignore enemy shields?

This skill on it's own seperates Necromancer decently enough by giving a few unique mechanics, namely access to shield ignoring damage and another way to get Poison damage. Now, now, lets not automatically claim I'm copying Saryn. She is the poison mistress, but others can use poison to their advantage too!

So, a mock skill kit for him would be:

1: Necromancer injects an enemy with his own strand of the Technocyte virus. When the target dies, their corpse rises again to battle as a mutated monster with either quick melee attacks or heavy stunning attacks, depending on the type of unit slain. (Regulars would be quick attackers, Heavies would be heavy attackers.) Limit of minions increases with rank, up to four. (One per rank, and one at unranked.)

2: Necromancer marks a target for death by injecting a special strand of the Technocyte Virus that weakens the target, slowing, damaging, and reducing the damage dealt by the target for X amount of time. During this time, any active Necromancer minions will be attracted to this target.

3: Necromancer's active minions begin to secrete the Technocyte virus within themselves as a highly corrosive gas, which eats away at any enemies within it's range.

4: Necromancer conjures the Technocyte virus into a swarm around himself, reducing damage taken by X% for X duration. During this time, all allies within the cloud (including his own Minions.) will apply the effect of his 2 (minus the minion targeting) on every attack from a weapon.

So, we've got a debuffer, who can summon minions, and who can deal damage ignoring shields. However, his abilities do have tradeoffs. His ultimate will be less useful without teammates, though not useless for obvious reasons, his minions will be decently powerful but not ungodly, he won't be crowding the screen with zombie hordes, he still provides the playstyle of a Necromancer (Minion master with crippling dark magic.) and depending on numbers he shouldn't be overpowered inherently.

All in all, I feel this is an interesting kit that could be implemented (though perhaps not in it's current form) into the game. With exact numbers being handled by the folks at DE, and a few kit tweaks as necessary, I feel this could work. Thoughts?

You more or less summed up what me and Mateszhun came up with. I like the improvements you made, particularly with the poison aspect. Me and a friend were actually talking about makeing his 4 do somethingg like that. The diffrence would be his minions drop dead and leave behind a decaying poison to sort of mine field the area to change the terrane in your favor. I like how you kept to the necros gaming roots as a de-buffer but still kept the minion master aspect.

The tankyness factor sounds nice but id rather his stay squishy so he could be a more damage oriented frame but still its a good idea none the less and would be useful on a lighter frame. Over all good feedback, I more like the poison aspect cause it does add alot of interest to the class and i could see it combo well with my idea of him summoning his own personal minions.

As one last side note i did forget to put in the OP i didnt intend for enemies other then infested to keep their weapons but i would rather they be mutated to be simlar to infested to stay kinda true to the dark sector lore, so that you for pointing that out. It does change how the class functions dramatically. Over all thats very well tough out and i like the ideas you brought to the table.

Edited by Overlord_Hades

I mean no offence because our two design concepts are very diffrent but thats not realy what im going for. Not to say I think that your idea is bad, infact i think its a refreshing take on a necromancer in the modern age. However your necro seems more on the physically skeletal ( lich like ) aspect of a necromance where it uses its own body and life energy as a weapon. I more like my necros more human where they control the dead. Im a minion master necro at heart. reguardless of ability disagreements the concept art you presented was beautifully done and i love the mid evil medicine man helmet concept. Over all well done but not my cup of tea, but if the community did chose that kind of necro i wouldnt be opposed to it either. A necromancer is a necromancer be he lich or human, the whole package is what makes them fun.

Edited by Overlord_Hades