Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Moving Forward While Meleeing

Zydon

Would it be possible to turn this off.  It's really really annoying to take 2 steps forward every time you swing your weapon.

Like really really annoying.

Shooting my gun doesn't make me take 2 steps back so why should i be forced to move forward while swinging.

Most definitely due to the animation, for like every weapon really. It is annoying but I dont see them changing it... especially for the heavy weapons which are meant to slow ya down. And even if they did change it Im sure people would complain because they would probably stop being immune to stagger effects if they got rid of the step forward.

it would reduce the practical range of a lot of weapons if they got rid of it. However the really annoying thing for me is not moving forward, it's moving past a stationary enemy if I'm attacking it straight on. Nothing that can't be fixed by quick aiming of the camera though, but it makes certain linear weapons a lot harder to use than they need to be.

I would not mind taking one step forward to place my foot in order to balance the swing and give me range - if it did not keep taking one step for each swing. I pretty much only use my melee for stray enemies and crates. ...and I am really tired of taking that melee step up on top of those crates when I am trying to open them. *blushes*

I would not mind taking one step forward to place my foot in order to balance the swing and give me range - if it did not keep taking one step for each swing. I pretty much only use my melee for stray enemies and crates. ...and I am really tired of taking that melee step up on top of those crates when I am trying to open them. *blushes*

Yea I hear ya there, but that can be fixed by just readjusting the smaller crates so you dont walk on them so easily. I never accidentally walk up the bigger ones after all, so it has to do with the smaller crates specifically.

Would it be possible to turn this off.  It's really really annoying to take 2 steps forward every time you swing your weapon.

Shooting my gun doesn't make me take 2 steps back so why should i be forced to move forward while swinging.

Maybe its more towards realism.  If you think about it, if you swing a weapon your instinct to continue swinging is to step forward into the next blow.  Try taking a step back swinging some weird item.  doesn't really work.  Also realistically if you strike an opponent with a weapon they will be pushed away from you, not stay in one place(granted the latter half doesn't always work that way but you get the jist) its annoying admittedly but it makes you control yourself a bit more than just clicking or pressing buttons repeatedly to kill everything around you.

*and I am really tired of taking that melee step up on top of those crates when I am trying to open them. *blushes** <===i totally agree with this one though

• 2 weeks later...

This (bolded) part was fixed last patch and I am now a happy crate-cracking Tenno! :)

Hmm yesterday i was still climbing boxes. Will try it today and see.

Anyway, the movement should differ depending on class.

An axe has momentum, but a katana will involve some dancing.

My compromise is to make the steps shorter. As it is now i dance around while the enemy stand still, hitting me just fine.

Wasting your time coming here and asking for this which seems so obvious and has done for a long time. They will not change this or anything like it that ruins the immersion of the game because they are arrogant and naive.

If this gets changed due to your post i will buy you some platinum and make a public apology. Will not happen though believe me.

Stepping forward in melee is a real problem - at least when you first start using a sword.  It's something I suppose you can adjust for, but good luck engaging in close combat when every time you slash you step past or through your target, and are forced to turn & do it again.  I understand that maybe the first, bold strike would require a step forward, or perhaps the charged attack, since it's supposed to be a heavier strike, but every single slash shouldn't require a 3 yard re-position.  What you end up being forced to do is hesitate & adjust between strikes.  Maybe that's intended to slow down the button slammers....I don't know.

What I can tell you is that it's one of the main reasons that I switched to the boxing gloves (i.e. Furax) as soon as I bought platinum.  Turns out I really like the Furax & plan to keep them for a while, but that's the topic of another thread.