Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Salvagable Forma/catalyst/reactor?

MiLLerLight22

I was just thinking (I know, dangerous stuff) since Frost Prime was released, I've been afraid to use a Forma, Orokin Catalyst, or Orokin Reactor on anything that's not a prime or vandal version.  I'm afraid of wasting valuable resources on something when a better version could come out at any minute.  Then I had a thought for a POSSIBLE solution for this could be to refund all forma and/or catalyst/reactor when the item is sold.  Or maybe even add a "Salvage" option that will cost a good amount of credits (obviously you won't receive any credits like you would by selling it) but it would return your Forma/Catalyst/Reactor.

I can already see both sides to this topic, so leave some feedback please on what you think. Altering this suggestion, completely agreeing, or completely disagreeing are all welcome but keep it classy. :)

I don't think forma would work out so simply as potatoes. But in the case of the latter, it would be nice. Expecially given the entirely separate issue of certain primes being direct upgrades to their regular counterparts. I'd like to be able to build a paris prime, then replace my potatoed paris without losing the catalyst.

I certainly understand the objections to it, and the fact that it would drive down sales of potatoes, but it might be a nice option to have. Maybe a foundry option that requires that you have the original weapon's blueprint (for proper deconstruction), and a high credit price. After 24 hours or however long, the potatoed equipment would be destroyed and you would receive the potato back. More challenges could be added to further encourage just getting more taters, but I think that's a start for what such a system could look like.

If this happened the amount of people buying catalysts, forma and reactors would go down HUGELY

I think a nice way to satisfy the players and DE would make it cost 5-10 plat to Salvage the tech. That way DE still makes money, but the players save some.

I think a nice way to satisfy the players and DE would make it cost 5-10 plat to Salvage the tech. That way DE still makes money, but the players save some.

That essentially means a lot of people who can't get plat won't be able to salvage anything at all. 

If they are willing, then the most they should do is have a free/low plat cost option to transfer a potato from non-prime to prime/vandal. Complete salvage might lower their sales quite a bit, but if the potato is transferable to a better version of the same weapon, people would be happy (which might, in turn, actually raise sales).

I'm, having the exact same issue. There are frames and weapons that I love and I am sitting on 6 or so forma at the moment, but I don't want to waste them seeing as they are quite difficult to obtain and I'm hoping prime/vandal versions of them are coming soon. I've always thought it would make more sense to 'upgrade' normal frames to their prime variants if you have the normal frame and all the pieces. Still requires the grind while rewarding dedicated players of that frame. Besides, it doesn't make sense for a Tenno to just throw out a frame for the exact same thing plus some fancy gold plating and maybe an extra upgrade to some functionality. It would be better if we could 'unlock' them as though we've mastered the frame, found the Orokin tech to enhance it, and understand both enough to upgrade our suit to the prime model, thus keeping the catalysts/forma. 

From a business perspective, I'm incredibly leery about the Salvage option because it would reduce Digital Extreme's income. After all Formas, Catalysts, and Reactors are the market's most lucrative items.

From a lore perspective, this doesn't make sense either. Prime Warframes and weapons are completely unique items because they are the original versions.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

From a player perspective, the Salvage option costs too little for all the good it does. Instead, I think the cost should go higher, involving mods and resources.

All Formas = Half the resource cost based on the BP, rounded up.

All Catalysts/Reactors = Full resource cost based on the BP, doubled and rounded up.

Additionally, you must equip all your mods when you use the Salvage option. In terms of mod energy/space, you can only have <4 points of available mod capacity and/or 1 available mod slot. The Salvage option then takes all the mods off, and you must burn the equivalent of half the levels/ranks (disregard fusion costs) of the mods.

Example:

* Lanka (i.e. Forma'd Lanka) with a Catalyst (supercharged)

Split Chamber (8), Serration (12), Piercing Hit (9), Point Strike (9), Vital Sense (9), Speed Trigger (9) = 56 mod capacity

4 mod capacity to spare, 1 mod slot to spare

Split Chamber (Rank 5), Serration (Rank 8), Piercing Hit (Rank 5), Point Strike (Rank 5), Vital Sense (Rank 5), Speed Trigger (Rank 5).

33/2 -> rounds up to 17 ranks

Total Revised Salvage Option cost:

1) Resource cost = 3 Morphics, 2 Gallium, 2 Control Mods, 3 Orokin Cells, 1 Neural Sensor, and 1 Neurode.

2) Destroy the equivalent of 17 Rank 1 mods.

Obviously, this revised Salvage option is incredibly harsh. It needs fixing and toning down, but the platinum one saves is incredible.

Edited by ChaoticVice777

I'm, having the exact same issue. There are frames and weapons that I love and I am sitting on 6 or so forma at the moment, but I don't want to waste them seeing as they are quite difficult to obtain and I'm hoping prime/vandal versions of them are coming soon. I've always thought it would make more sense to 'upgrade' normal frames to their prime variants if you have the normal frame and all the pieces. Still requires the grind while rewarding dedicated players of that frame. Besides, it doesn't make sense for a Tenno to just throw out a frame for the exact same thing plus some fancy gold plating and maybe an extra upgrade to some functionality. It would be better if we could 'unlock' them as though we've mastered the frame, found the Orokin tech to enhance it, and understand both enough to upgrade our suit to the prime model, thus keeping the catalysts/forma. 

I could stand behind this way about it.  Makes sense to me both in lore and functionality.  Keep up the feedback guys, toss some more ideas around . :D

This is a problem arising from one gun being strictly superior to another, as opposed to guns just being mostly side-grades.  If there was enough different between the Latron and Latron Prime, like if the Latron had more damage per clip or a faster fire rate while Latron Prime has more damage per bullet, then that's something you can use to distinguish between the two guns.