Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Its Time For Dedicated Servers

Fourdee

Honestly, this game is brilliant, love it to bits.

But when you try to organize a high level defense, and, start inviting people is really takes the fun out of this game.

I spend over an hour each night trying to invite people, all i get is the following useless errors:

"unable to invite specific player"

"player joins but doesn't register in squad list"

"player claims session is full"

"player claims unable to join when objective is completed"

The only "workaround" is to add everyone to your friends and invite that way. And that, doesnt guarantee a working invite.

Honestly, the current system is a joke and destroys the end game.

I have no firewall issues, so please dont give me that crap and expect every user to "fix" broken network code.

Its time we had dedicated servers. Christ, make it cost platinum if you must, allow for clan servers.

Something needs to be done, before i uninstall this game. Really disappointing.

Man do i miss Quake3's master server list.

Roughly 10 years later and a games company cant even program a system to match that, let alone be better.

Really is a joke. DE should look into this instead of adding more warframes for $$$.

Maybe when Warframe is full release they will do this, but correct me if I'm wrong, DE is an independent developer, so they don't have the uber funding to just pop out dedicated servers for the insane amount of people that play this game regularly. 

Genius.

You're not very bright are you? If people are unhappy with the game they stop playing meaning they won't be buying stuff meaning DE will lose money. If they put up dedicated servers it will cost money, but people are happy and more inclined to not only buy platinum but to tell their friends about this game.

Unrealistic.

This isn't World of Warcraft with its 7+million subscribers, funding their servers with $100+million a month.

This is Warframe, a FREE TO PLAY game.  Dedicated servers would completely break their budget.

For your mind yes.

For those who understand networking, its very simple to achieve a 4 player server.

This isnt WoW, they wont be hosting updates for 500+ players to all clients at any one time lol.

Read my original post, "Christ, make it cost platinum if you must, allow for clan servers."

eg: DE can make "MORE MONEY" by creating dedicated servers.

I love people will simple minds :)

You're not very bright are you? If people are unhappy with the game they stop playing meaning they won't be buying stuff meaning DE will lose money. If they put up dedicated servers it will cost money, but people are happy and more inclined to not only buy platinum but to tell their friends about this game.

Perhaps my post was a little impetuous - I will reiterate.

Dedicated servers are undoubtedly a good thing in most scenarios - I am simply weary of topic creators who assume that this sort of thing can just be done at the drop of a hat, that if only DE knew about this wonderful magical system that everything would be sparkles and rainbows.

As I see it, if it was feasible, it would have been this way from the start, but not every game can be TF2. DE does not have infinite money, or even a lot of money - I don't believe for a moment that the solution to this problem is less content - new stuff is far more likely to make money than gambling on some expensive networking equipment.

Then again, I'm not very bright. What do I know?

YOU'RE not very bright, it seems. He's edited the quote into a more "logical" form.

Edited by BeerDone

For your mind yes.

For those who understand networking, its very simple to achieve a 4 player server.

This isnt WoW, they wont be hosting updates for 500+ players to all clients at any one time lol.

Read my original post, "Christ, make it cost platinum if you must, allow for clan servers."

Mhm... creating world-wide, atleast regional, dedicted server support for small independent dev team. Also i see you got the numbers about concurrent players and costs... nice to see networking experts talk about stuff here. Oh, internet...

Edited by eStecko

Perhaps my post was a little impetuous - I will reiterate.

Dedicated servers are undoubtedly a good thing in most scenarios - I am simply weary of topic creators who assume that this sort of thing can just be done at the drop of a hat, that if only DE knew about this wonderful magical system that everything would be sparkles and rainbows.

As I see it, if it was feasible, it would have been this way from the start, but not every game can be TF2. DE does not have infinite money, or even a lot of money - I don't believe for a moment that the solution to this problem is less content - new stuff is far more likely to make money than gambling on some expensive networking equipment.

Then again, I'm not very bright. What do I know?

See? why didn't you say that in the first place? That actually makes sense BUT when DE started out it makes sense that they don't have money for dedicated servers but as the game grows and player base expands and start buying more and more stuff you would think that eventually they can switch to dedicated servers.

For your mind yes.

We agree to disagree then.  I still believe dedicated servers would be unrealistic.

Mhm... creating world-wide, atleast regional, dedicted server support for small independent dev team. Also i see you got the numbers about concurrent players and costs... nice to see networking experts talk about stuff here. Oh, internet...

Hi-rez Studios (similar situation to DE's dev team size), Tribes Ascend:

Managed to create a dedicated server system for those willing to pay $$$.

It made Hi-Rez studios some $$$.

So, your above statement is just one of those who accept "sub-standard quality products for everything in life."

I wish some people would stick to their Xbox's/PS3's.

I don't understand the problem.

ArcheBlade is made by a company with literally 4 developers working out of an appartment, they have dedicated servers all over and don't complain.

Digital Extremes is a AAA studio with 20 years of development experience and a sizable staff, obviously they can't afford dedicated servers.

Whats backwards here?

Hi-rez Studios (similar situation to DE's dev team size), Tribes Ascend:

Managed to create a dedicated server system for those willing to pay $$$.

It made Hi-Rez studios some $$$.

So, your above statement is just one of those who accept "sub-standard quality products for everything in life."

I wish some people would stick to their Xbox's/PS3's.

Yeah. HiRez has a publisher and no longer supports Tribes Ascend as it makes no money. Iam not optimistic person and i have idea how much development of games costs, someone here does not by the looks of it.

Havent played a single game on PS3 neither Xbox, so no idea why shoud i stick with something i dont own... trying to derail the topic with insults?

Yeah. HiRez has a publisher and no longer supports Tribes Ascend as it makes no money. Iam not optimistic person and i have idea how much development of games costs, someone here does not by the looks of it.

Havent played a single game on PS3 neither Xbox, so no idea why shoud i stick with something i dont own... trying to derail the topic with insults?

Tribes ascend wasnt the best game, lets be honest ;)

Regardless, a dedicated server (with payment or not) is very realistic.

I know alot about game development costs, i'am currently making one in C++ with a indie team and no prior funding.

Game development costs nothing (minus the electric/pc bills), just incase you weren't aware.

If a AAA game studio puts funds into a game, its a different story, hence, my original post for something "more" from this current system.

The game is making money, lots of it, its time to use some of that to "fix" current issues. I'd love to know their income, really would.

DE can create dedicated servers with ease. Theres no need to question that anymore.

Something for thought, do you think the PS4 version will support client side networking without reducing that players framerate to sub30...?

I'd be shocked if the PS4 version didnt come with dedicated servers, it will need it, so why not the PC version aswell?

Edited by Fourdee

I know alot about game development costs, i'am currently making one in C++ with a indie team and no prior funding.

Game development costs nothing (minus the electric/pc bills), just incase you weren't aware.

If a AAA game studio puts funds into a game, its a different story, hence, my original post for something "more" from this current system.

The game is making money, lots of it, its time to use some of that to "fix" current issues. I'd love to know their income, really would.

DE can create dedicated servers with ease. Theres no need to question that anymore.

Something for thought, do you think the PS4 version will support client side networking without reducing that players framerate to sub30...?

I'd be shocked if the PS4 version didnt come with dedicated servers, it will need it, so why not the PC version aswell?

The PS4 version will run of Sonys cloud so yes, dedicated servers.

Tribes Ascend was one of the best Tribes and very competent FPS in this generation, with exceptions like HiRez releasing overpowered weapons to get more sales and the nerfing them. Not a best game ever tho, i've seen many better games over my, something over a decade in gaming.

Not sure if trolling or just stupid... seriously... i guess people are not getting paid for something that is called job nowdays and they are doing the work for free. Mhm... *facepalm*

Just something to consider...

Lab Zero Games, the guys behind 2D fighting game Skullgirls, want to add a new character to the game's roster. To do this, they're going to set up an IndieGoGo on February 25. And ask for $150,000.

$48,000: Staff Salaries - 8 people for 10 weeks

$30,000: Animation and Clean-up Contracting

$4,000: Voice recording

$2,000: Hit-box Contracting

$5,000: Audio Implementation Contracting

$20,000: QA Testing

$10,000: 1st Party Certification

$10,500: IndieGoGo and Payment Processing Fees

$20,500: Manufacturing and Shipping Physical Perks

entire topic

I see those $150k of nothing... and you want to tell me, "that you know"?

PS4 getting low fps because p2p? Why? My friend is playing warframe at max settings on 5 years old computer with ~40fps on medium settings and majority of consoles use p2p anyway... I dont see any valid reasons in your post at all so far...

Edited by eStecko

Tribes Ascend was one of the best Tribes and very competent FPS in this generation, with exceptions like HiRez releasing overpowered weapons to get more sales and the nerfing them. Not a best game ever tho, i've seen many better games over my, something over a decade in gaming.

Not sure if trolling or just stupid... seriously... i guess people are not getting paid for something that is called job nowdays and they are doing the work for free. Mhm... *facepalm*

Just something to consider...

Lab Zero Games, the guys behind 2D fighting game Skullgirls, want to add a new character to the game's roster. To do this, they're going to set up an IndieGoGo on February 25. And ask for $150,000.

$48,000: Staff Salaries - 8 people for 10 weeks

$30,000: Animation and Clean-up Contracting

$4,000: Voice recording

$2,000: Hit-box Contracting

$5,000: Audio Implementation Contracting

$20,000: QA Testing

$10,000: 1st Party Certification

$10,500: IndieGoGo and Payment Processing Fees

$20,500: Manufacturing and Shipping Physical Perks

entire topic

I see those $150k of nothing... and you want to tell me, "that you know"?

PS4 getting low fps because p2p? Why? My friend is playing warframe at max settings on 5 years old computer with ~40fps on medium settings and majority of consoles use p2p anyway... I dont see any valid reasons in your post at all so far...

Honestly, do you believe everything you read?

$0: Staff Salaries - 8 people for life of project (because they want to enjoy make a game, upfront money isnt their goal)
$0: Animation and Clean-up Contracting (indiedb, youll find one whos up for doing it for "FUN")
$0: Voice recording (TTS + Ableton if your on the cheap)
$0: Hit-box Contracting (garbage, this is a quick job with the current model, or, programmed using vector3's)
$0: Audio Implementation Contracting (implimentation of audio? eg: iSoundPlay();? , garbage)
$0: QA Testing (test it yourself, if you dont know whats wrong, you shouldn't be making games)
$0: 1st Party Certification (if you say so)
$0: IndieGoGo and Payment Processing Fees (not needed because a game will actually be beta/completed before we try and pull in KS funds)
$0: Manufacturing and Shipping Physical Perks (more garbage to increase income)

So yes, games can cost nothing to make. 
Yes, they can cost lots if your willing to throw money at it before its even past alpha stage. But your relying on Kickstarter funding for a game that will never likely see the light of day.

Google failed KS games if you get bored, interesting read on so many which are flopping/running out of funds before a gameplay video is actually made.

Back on topic, Dedicated servers, make customers happy, increase income. Simple.
Edited by Fourdee

Honestly, do you believe everything you read?

$0: Staff Salaries - 8 people for life of project (because they want to enjoy make a game, upfront money isnt their goal)
$0: Animation and Clean-up Contracting (indiedb, youll find one whos up for doing it for "FUN")
$0: Voice recording (TTS + Ableton if your on the cheap)
$0: Hit-box Contracting (garbage, this is a quick job with the current model, or, programmed using vector3's)
$0: Audio Implementation Contracting (implimentation of audio? eg: iSoundPlay();? , garbage)
$0: QA Testing (test it yourself, if you dont know whats wrong, you shouldn't be making games)
$0: 1st Party Certification (if you say so)
$0: IndieGoGo and Payment Processing Fees (not needed because a game will actually be beta/completed before we try and pull in KS funds)
$0: Manufacturing and Shipping Physical Perks (more garbage to increase income)

So yes, games can cost nothing to make. 
Yes, they can cost lots if your willing to throw money at it before its even past alpha stage. But your relying on Kickstarter funding for a game that will never likely see the light of day.

Google failed KS games if you get bored, interesting read on so many which are flopping/running out of funds before a gameplay video is actually made.

Back on topic, Dedicated servers, make customers happy, increase income. Simple.

It's really that simple? Wow.

When can I buy your game?

See I never understood why creating a dedicated server is such an issue, even as a pay service.  Some people make dedicated servers out to be this elaborate expensive technological wonder machine.   Generally it's just a Linux box that's not running any graphics so it can process everything else much faster.  If they were prohibitively expensive Team Fortress would never have gotten as big as it is.  Or Left 4 Dead for that matter.  The big difference here is in those games, the developers allowed the community to run and operate their own servers because what they were selling was the game.  DE can't really do that because if we could run the servers, we could hack their game and get all those things we're supposed to pay $$$ to get for free.  This sets up a disgusting cycle problem where they would have to create and maintain and rent out the dedicated servers and it generally be a much larger undertaking than most people think.

However it is also something that people would be willing to pay money for.  More than half the time this game is unplayable due to connection issues.