The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New mission type- Sentinel/companion missions

(PSN)BY-51

Sometimes Warframes can’t go where you need them to go. 

Spaces can be too small for a warframe or their operator. 

Thats is when you call in your sentinel. The mission isn’t your sentinel versus full on grineer or corpus soldiers. It’s against machines such as the sentinel itself examples: rollers and ratels maggots and new enemies as well. 

This mission type could be a great way to introduce a new mechanic that would allow the operator to control their sentinel make spy missions/hacking/diversions way more interesting the way they control the worm creatures in the War Within. Void dash into your sentinel and control it. 

Not a complete concept I’m sure but it would be pretty fun I think. 

I immediately can imagine how hacking works in Deus Ex as a loose framework.

What can be fun is needing to move through an area to tap into power conduit terminals, create bypasses in wires that run through air ducts and place distractions and other means to keep the likes of Ratels and Rollers from moving through them to stop us and break what we are trying to leave behind for say another operative.

This sounds fun... It would be interesting to say the least. I would love for this to become a thing! And then for players that don't like it, maybe we could just send the Sentinel off by itself (Exposing it to enemies without having it's Warframe master to draw fire) and perform the action for us. It wouldn't be nearly as effective though, just to make things a little more balanced. Of course there would be some kind of mod or reactor type thing that we could install to make it more effective remotely. Thoughts?

I

6 hours ago, KelsierSurvivor said:

This sounds fun... It would be interesting to say the least. I would love for this to become a thing! And then for players that don't like it, maybe we could just send the Sentinel off by itself (Exposing it to enemies without having it's Warframe master to draw fire) and perform the action for us. It wouldn't be nearly as effective though, just to make things a little more balanced. Of course there would be some kind of mod or reactor type thing that we could install to make it more effective remotely. Thoughts?

I think if players don’t like it they’d be missing out but I don’t think anything should be content locked behind the mission unless it is sentinel related. Idk maybe I didn’t read your comment right. Could you explain further?

17 hours ago, SPARTAN-187.Thanatos said:

I immediately can imagine how hacking works in Deus Ex as a loose framework.

What can be fun is needing to move through an area to tap into power conduit terminals, create bypasses in wires that run through air ducts and place distractions and other means to keep the likes of Ratels and Rollers from moving through them to stop us and break what we are trying to leave behind for say another operative.

Exactly.

So many examples. Useful in stealth combat by causing distractions. Hacking alarms. Bypassing locked doors. Maybe Gps enemy positions. Reveal a hidden cache. 

Plenty of applications. 

Perhaps also be a neat way to solve the 2 players needed to open a door problem?

3 minutes ago, (PS4)BY-51 said:

So many examples. Useful in stealth combat by causing distractions. Hacking alarms. Bypassing locked doors. Maybe Gps enemy positions. Reveal a hidden cache. 

Plenty of applications. 

Perhaps also be a neat way to solve the 2 players needed to open a door problem?

Since reading your ideas, I've had a few ideas rolling about in my head as to how such a premise could work and there certainly are many things that can easily work within Warframe universe, depending on what the devs want out of hacking and making it more interesting.

Nonetheless, the two players for those golden doors was an older solution to an older problem. Something that is manifesting anew on the Plains and Bounties related to our movement capabilities.

With that said though, I see a fun opportunity to add to those cases, where the player that is first to such a locked door can send their Sentinel on a little minigame to modify the locking mechanism from a tactile one (pressing the keys in unison) to a proximity one, that as soon as another player gets close, that the doors then respond in kind (and means that a player in the middle of the mini game acts as holding that side, waiting for another player to either get into proximity or press the other side).

Granted I don't know how much could be added to such a setup and maybe it's like an R2-D2 moment of connecting a probe to the panel and then we enter a virtual space to change the mechanism.

As the Grineer have those annoying scanners and Corpus have their Cameras, could be neat to see a bit more to these along the way.

3 hours ago, (PS4)BY-51 said:

I think if players don’t like it they’d be missing out but I don’t think anything should be content locked behind the mission unless it is sentinel related. Idk maybe I didn’t read your comment right. Could you explain further?

Hmm. I thought it made sense. But putting it simpler, I agree with you, players that don't like it would be missing out. But I've encountered ideas that are completely shut down because certain types of players don't like them. So I have started naturally coming up with ways for everyone to enjoy it. My solution to this one was along the lines of this...

For those strange people that don't think this would be fun, don't despair! There's a way around it! For those of you who don't want to stray from the way you already play or the way your mission is going, just tell your Sentinel to do it. (This could be a key like 'c' or something. To my knowkedge, that key doesn't have a purpose yet.) If you want to have your Sentinel perform the task without having to control it yourself, it can do it alone, but there is a small downside; it won't be nearly as fast and not as effective depending on the task. But you can fix this with (new) mods! 

Does that help?