Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Frame Rate affects the game too much

Volume

Even with 4 cores running at 3.0 and a 6850HD, I get pretty bad framerate at times. Specifically, it's with 4 players in infested maps (probably due to the flashlights...some optimization problem maybe. The game ran great before Grineer flashlights and team flashlights reflecting everything 9001 times over)

Anyway, point is, at times I have bad framerate. Usually it's on infested levels when not playing solo.

When framerate is low (Not sure if there's a show FPS stat or anything, could use FRAPS I suppose), weapons shoot slower. Aklato, Braton, Gorgon in particular fire much much much slower than when you have ~60fps, and it affects your DPS.

I find it counterproductive because when more stuff is on the screen, you want to kill it faster, not slower, but the framerate issues cause you to output less damage.

Either way, fire rate is lower when frame rate is lower, especially for "rapid fire" projectile weapons.

Another issue is that framerate affects collision detection. Sometimes I can seriously just walk through laser doors if my frame-skip is timed right, or avoid melee attacks by clipping through people, or my melee attacks not hitting them - it's not ping or latency, it's framerate somehow affecting this.

Not sure if the engine is built to do this or if it's a bug or what, but movement and manuevering is much different with lower framerate. Half the time it doesn't even take the keyboard input.

It does appear the renderer ticks at the same speed as the game engine and the network engine...

I don't really have framerate issues even with my trusty old 9800GT (1600*1200 all maxed out) unless the action becomes really insane, however there are frequent framerate drops when the network lags. I often notice this when I spawn in an ongoing game where the host isn't particulary fast. Often it takes 10 seconds or more until my machine loads all the network data. During that time I have like 1 frame per second.

I really don't believe there's any chance this behavior will be changed, however I am kinda baffled why such an engine was chosen/coded for an online game in the first place.

Ah well, live with it I guess.

I think it's more of a netcode issue rather than my own personal machine causing problems. Truth is your weapon, if it has 20.7 fire rate, should be firing at 20.7 regardless of framerate. However, it fires at maybe 1/5th that speed if your framerate is lower. You can skip through laser beams if your framerate is lower. Avoid attacks by clipping/warping around. It's not just ping, it's framerate, but I'm thinking netcode. Kinda funny.

• 2 weeks later...

My framerates were buttery smooth until the recent hotfixes. When I first played after them I thought I forgot to put my fire rate mods back in my Heat sword. I like the higher spawn rates and improved atmospheric effects, but they're wreaking havoc on my FPS.

I dont think the higher spawn rates are too much a factor unless the host machine isn't particularly fast or you have people that like to run all over a map without killing anything.

However the improved atmospheric effects I think are a bigger culprit as my rates seem to drop noticably when events the ice or fire events occur.