The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Flux Rifle - Crit Build Vs Elemental (Damage) Build?

TheTenno

Question

Please give me a suggestion of the best flux rifle build - should it be maximizing it's critical potential using Vital Sense, Hammer Shot, Point Strike (200% critical damage but only 5% crit) or Damage Build (fire, ice, all damage increasing build)?

It shoots a lot and continuously so it will crit alot I think (from utube videos I see numbers popping out from the screen).

12 answers to this question

Please give me a suggestion of the best flux rifle build - should it be maximizing it's critical potential using Vital Sense, Hammer Shot, Point Strike (200% critical damage but only 5% crit) or Damage Build (fire, ice, all damage increasing build)?

It shoots a lot and continuously so it will crit alot I think (from utube videos I see numbers popping out from the screen).

I wouldn't personally build it for crit. I only do it to weapons that will reach at least 25-50% crit chance. Flux will reach 12.5% crit chance, so your crit damage mods are only in use roughly 12.5% of the time, where elemental mods will be 100% time effective.

Thanks. Probably searching for more damage mod from now.

I know it's tempting to build Flux for crit, since it can pack a real punch, but it relies too much on chance. But I estimate the elemental build will pump out more dps.

Until mobs are around lvl100, elem is always better. Higher, you see more and more 1's, and only AP element deals full damage (elemental resistance increases with the level of the mob, of course it depends on the mob type). Therefore your only choice is to maximize the effect of normal damage and AP, hence build for crit.

Also, consider multishot when you calculate the crit chance of a weapon: each "bullet" has its own roll. You almost double your crit chance with it, in the case of the flux.

No wonder the base crit damage of the flux is 200%. It's the only weapon of the game both ignoring armor and "crit-viable" in the game. Not building for crit would not take advantage of the weapon full potencial. It's an end game weapon after all.

yeah, a topic like this appeared few days ago, a guy did the math, the answer was elementals >> crits

This.

A crit-build Flux using Serration, Split Chamber, Speed Trigger, Point Strike, Vital Sense, Hammer Shot, Hellfire, and Cryo Rounds has the following stats:

DPS :: 5998.058

Burst DPS :: 7917.437

A raw damage build Flux with Serration, Split Chamber, Speed Trigger, Wildfire, Hellfire, Stormbringer, Cryo Rounds, and Piercing Hit has the following stats:

DPS :: 6544.44

Burst DPS :: 8289.624

The numbers don't lie: Raw Damage > Crit for the flux. If they were to buff the crit chance to 10% from the current 5% the story would change however.

Want to know where I got these numbers? Check out the unofficial DPS calculator: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/90706-unofficial-weapon-dps-calculator-current-v02/ all the math is already done for you.