Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Grinding, Farming & Rng

philleapa

really?  when I have to run the same maps ad nauseam to gather materials isn't that the definition of grinding??

Except it isn't ad nauseam. I've had more problems trying to get warframe parts than materials.

Except it isn't ad nauseam. I've had more problems trying to get warframe parts than materials.

I don't think he means it literally, only epileptics does that really apply to.

I understand what he means though.  When you have to run something over and over over.

Look at morphics.  Last night we ran Vor 5 times in a row to get one.  Should you really need to run the same boss level 5 times in a row to get one material you were after?  Not to mention my friend needed 4 total I think.

I don't think he means it literally, only epileptics does that really apply to.

I understand what he means though.  When you have to run something over and over over.

Look at morphics.  Last night we ran Vor 5 times in a row to get one.  Should you really need to run the same boss level 5 times in a row to get one material you were after?  Not to mention my friend needed 4 total I think.

Since weapons are mostly sidegrades, you don't "have" to do anything. You "want" to, which is different in that it's not the game that's holding you back. I understand that some parts of the game can feel like you're repeating missions you don't want to repeat. But this IS a multiplayer online game, and there's no PVP. You can only make so much content before the audience devours it. That's why the grindy elements are in place.

But play a little more and you'll realize you have too many materials. I've played this game for about 250 hours since March which isn't such a great accomplishment, and I have enough resources to make myself 4 new warframes and a whole bunch of weapons. Since resources drop naturally without you having to go after them, you'll fill up with drops over time and there'll be less and less need to farm materials.

Since weapons are mostly sidegrades, you don't "have" to do anything. You "want" to, which is different in that it's not the game that's holding you back. I understand that some parts of the game can feel like you're repeating missions you don't want to repeat. But this IS a multiplayer online game, and there's no PVP. You can only make so much content before the audience devours it. That's why the grindy elements are in place.

But play a little more and you'll realize you have too many materials. I've played this game for about 250 hours since March which isn't such a great accomplishment, and I have enough resources to make myself 4 new warframes and a whole bunch of weapons. Since resources drop naturally without you having to go after them, you'll fill up with drops over time and there'll be less and less need to farm materials.

True.  The process to build a new weapon (gathering the mats) is a bit grindy, but not necessary.  You can indeed stick with what you have, but you will suffer a bit as some of the weapons do tend to outshine the starter weapons.

However, if you want to participate in most of the game, you must grind to upgrade your mods.  With no other options other than platinum or multiple runs to do so, this becomes VERY grindy.  Maybe if fusion cores were a little more common?

The material collection to me is very fun.  But grinding to upgrade the same damage mods that are basically a requirement to play is very tedious and undesirable.

However, if you want to participate in most of the game, you must grind to upgrade your mods.  With no other options other than platinum or multiple runs to do so, this becomes VERY grindy.  Maybe if fusion cores were a little more common?

If you want a weapon mod, you can do any Grineer mission in the game (or Corpus, depending which mod). If you want a warframe mod, you can do any infested mission. That's less "grinding" and more "playing the game". Any free to play multiplayer game will have a required time investment, otherwise people will just do all/most the planets once and then quit. The game stagnates without a tangible feeling of increase in power over time.

So yes, the game is inherently grindy. But that's kind of an unreasonable critique since it's a free to play pve game. Feel free to point out any one similar game that does it differently and is still successful.

Have you built the clantech weapons and the Machete yet?

If you want a weapon mod, you can do any Grineer mission in the game (or Corpus, depending which mod). If you want a warframe mod, you can do any infested mission. That's less "grinding" and more "playing the game". Any free to play multiplayer game will have a required time investment, otherwise people will just do all/most the planets once and then quit. The game stagnates without a tangible feeling of increase in power over time.

So yes, the game is inherently grindy. But that's kind of an unreasonable critique since it's a free to play pve game. Feel free to point out any one similar game that does it differently and is still successful.

No no I completely agree.  I was more speaking to those who say this game isn't grindy.

And honestly the upgrading of the mods isn't that painful.  It's only until you reach the last few ranks of a mod that it's really difficult, but that's the same in all games that involve leveling something.

For me my only complaint is the availability of certain mods and their reliance on things like alerts.  This severely hurts some players.

Have you built the clantech weapons and the Machete yet?

Clan tech weapons aren't mandatory nor required, thankfully. Yes I know they're harder to get. But honestly, by the time you're done waiting for the Fieldrons to craft you already have all the other mats.

Clan tech weapons aren't mandatory nor required, thankfully. Yes I know they're harder to get. But honestly, by the time you're done waiting for the Fieldrons to craft you already have all the other mats.

What I'm getting at is, clantech weapons take far, far more plastids than you can ever find naturally.

Edited by JollierThanThou

What I'm getting at is, clantech weapons take far, far more plastids than you can ever find naturally.

But the entire clan can contribute can't they?  (Honest question, haven't dabbled in my clan hall much).

If that's the case, then it's probably because it's a group effort which is actually kind of cool.

I have 3.229 plastids without ever farming for them. And the Dera. I have enough plastids to build both an Ogris and a Lanka if I really want to.

But the entire clan can contribute can't they?  (Honest question, haven't dabbled in my clan hall much).

If that's the case, then it's probably because it's a group effort which is actually kind of cool.

Heh, I forgot some of the research took plastids too.

No, I'm talking about the individual requirements--crafting Fieldrons, Detonite Injectors, and Mutagen Masses. Each one takes 250 plastids, and the weapons take 2-7 Fieldrons/Injectors/Masses each to build. If you're crafting all of the weapons for mastery, it's 6750 9250 plastids total.

Edit: I miscounted; you need 14 components for the Grineer and Infested guns, not 4 :p

Edited by JollierThanThou

Heh, I forgot some of the research took plastids too.

No, I'm talking about the individual requirements--crafting Fieldrons, Detonite Injectors, and Mutagen Masses. Each one takes 250 plastids, and the weapons take 2-7 Fieldrons/Injectors/Masses each to build. If you're crafting all of the weapons for mastery, it's 6750 plastids total.

Zoinks!  I get your point.

I did a few cyath runs the other day messing around with some friends and in a few hours i accumulated around 500+ plastids, 20,000+ nano spores, and 1000+ mods and

That's bullS#&$.  I play xini all day, ereday. in a block of solid play lasting around 6 hours, you get around 400 mods.  That's the most rewarding map for mod acquisition.  You're grossly misrepresenting the situation, and for that, have invalidated the rest of your post.

It's not the amount of grinding that veteran players are concerned with ... it's the fact that there is nothing to do in-game except grinding.

Bingo.  The grinding should ultimately lead to a point.

In WoW, you grind beyond all imagination, but towards what goal?  The ability to raid.  Yes their raids are gearchecks, but that's really where the fun starts.  Raids *are* WoW endgame.

One guy has a thread on Cells, which is brilliant.  I think the Cell idea, on top of maybe some additional mission types (like the popular idea to copy F3AR's F**KING RUN! game mode into Warframe) would create us an actual endgame instead of just more grinding.

But there must be a reward at the end.  Doesn't even have to be gameplay affecting.  Most players are content getting aesthetic upgrades, titles, things like that on top of some actual gameplay rewards.  Not too hard of a concept to come up wtih.

Just give us that artificial carrot-on-a-stick to chase, and we'll go for it.

RNG doesn't make things hard to obtain. It can make things easy to obtain. It can make things impossible to obtain. In all cases, however, it makes things tedious to obtain. 

Edited by Paprika

Having to get 2048 copies of a mod to level it one rank is the literal definition of grinding. Please use your brain next time you post, WF will be better place for it.

Like you can't use other mods for fusion or can't play the game without a maxed out Serration...I dump all my unwanted warframe skill mods into fusion for things like Serration. Just by playing the game you get hundreds of mods that you can use for fusion.

Having played some games that did have real grinds (Ragnarok Online for instance where a whole evening got you 1% of a level when you got near the max) this game has some grind but not a huge amount. Been playing 3 weeks and I have 4 warframes with Mag building atm. I have gone through a good number of weapons and started building clan weapons (have the mats its just the time to make the components that come from research BPs).

Grind yes, too much grind? Heck no.

Edited by Silvershadow66

This is a two-fold issue for me, personally: RNG for Mods and RNG for materials, and I think they should be looked at differently. For example...

RNG for Mods

As I posted in another thread here, https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/91813-too-much-rng/?p=1023284 my main issue is the RNG associated with Mods. It took me over 230 hours of gameplay (MOST of which was spent on correct farming missions) to get ONE Focus mod. I had such bad luck my friends would literally laugh at how horrendous it was. So yeah, when someone says, "I have X number of Y mods, so you must be doing something wrong.." I counter with, "Bull$$^#!"

The fact still remains that every time you begin a mission, you are given a seed number. That seed number will determine your chances of getting what mod from the loot tables. There is absolutely nothing you can do about it, but carry on and hope one day you can get what you desire to make your Warframe work that little bit better. Do I NEED it to play? No. Do I WANT it to improve my Waframe and enjoy playing it more on specific missions? Well yeah! Is that so wrong? That's not to say I want it handed to me on a silver platter or from day one. But 230 hours of gameplay later? That's downright absurd.

RNG for Materials

I agree, to a point, that some materials are a pain to get, but some people COULD make it easier on themselves by taking a little more time in missions. Take a few extra mins to run down wayward wings and check rooms and there's a good chance you'll be amply rewarded. I'm not a slowpoke, but I do take the time to open lockers and containers. I don’t rush through missions like my &#! is on fire, even when I'm headed to fight X Boss for Y material. Why? Because you never know what's in those lockers/containers. On my way to fight the boss to try and get an Orokin Cell.. (before U9 btw..) guess what? I opened a container and one fell on my head. Not only that, I got one from the boss as well. Two in one shot just for taking a little bit of extra time. It's even better after U9. The only thing I ever need to farm for are Control Modules and the occasional Orokin Cell and it's been that way for a long time. I'm not getting into the whole rushers v. non-rushers argument; it's up to you how you game. But I know that the former are only hurting themselves in the end.

So the way I see it, at least for materials, you have somewhat of a choice. For Mods, you do not.

The more you worked for something, the more satisfying it is when you get it.

I farmed for my favorite warframe for 2 weeks, running the same mission over and over. I love my Rhino so much! :D

-snip-

No one, should have to spend 2 weeks farming for 3 objects. This is a flaw in the system, especially when someone else can get it easily in 2 days.