Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Looking for an artist, 3d or 2d

Deaddropping

I have some ideas for Tennogen content but lack the talent to actually make them and not have them look like garbage. Since I am also new to Tennogen, I have additional questions:

1. Is there an artist interested in working with me to make some of these?
  2. can sketch submissions still gain traction and attention or are they just a waste of people's time?
  3. I am thoroughly confused when it comes to DE's definition of what a Warframe should look like. During a dev stream/prime time recently, they were talking about the subject and stated that some Tennogen submissions were too 'armored' and not organic enough. Then they show a sketch of an upcoming Vauban skin that was literally a steam driven suit of armor. Can someone clear the air on that subject?
Edited by Deaddropping

3. There are rules around Tennogen creation.

Helmets, syandanas and melee weapon skins can be remodeled from the ground up, any shape you like as long as the aesthetic fits within the Warframe universe. Firearm skins, and full-body Warframe skins have limitations on the sculpting; only the surface texture can be changed, the silhouette can't be modified and it can be difficult (in my experience) to get a feel for what is possible with full-body skins.

DE want to avoid Warframe helmets that resemble human features. So, one human-like feature is possible but not more. You could have eyes, but no mouth or nose. Or a mouth, but no nose or eyes etc. It does get a bit messy and it can be hard to tell what is acceptable. It's all a bit relative, and many of us have complained that DE won't follow the rules they set for Tennogen artists; Mirage helmet has eyes, Inaros helmet has a mouth, etc. But this kind of thing might also be acceptable in Tennogen so long as it is abstract enough to not resemble human features.

Check out the Tennogen guide PDF. There are other conditions, such as not making references to another IP. When Tennogen first came out, someone made a skin for Excalibur with hexagons, similar to the Nanosuits from Crysis. It wasn't accepted. Now, there is a skin for Mirage that is of good quality, but it references Spawn in a very obvious way. So, it'll be interesting to see if that rule only applies to references to other games, or if it is references to other media that isn't allowed.

Edited by SpiralViper

Also, there are a ton of people asking artists to make their ideas happen. Artists themselves, have their own ideas to get on with. Sometimes artists pick people's ideas up, but almost all of the time, it's worth putting in the time and effort to learn the software and do it yourself. Or collaborate with another artist, and only do sculpting or texturing while they do the other parts of the process. You'll get paid too

Edited by SpiralViper

14 hours ago, Deaddropping said:

I am thoroughly confused when it comes to DE's definition of what a Warframe should look like. During a dev stream/prime time recently, they were talking about the subject and stated that some Tennogen submissions were too 'armored' and not organic enough. Then they show a sketch of an upcoming Vauban skin that was literally a steam driven suit of armor. Can someone clear the air on that subject?

Mind that design works on case by case basis. It's not a check list which if you have certain aspects on your items you will be guaranteed to be accepted or rejected. If item A was not accepted because it's too armored and not organic enough then that feedback only works and applicable for that item. It never means other item will be rejected by having the same aspects that got item A rejected. If item B was accepted despite being armored and not organic, then it's because that item manage to executed them well while item A failed. Everything depends on the final execution or the sum of your parts rather than the individual parts.