The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Stagger: How Does It Work?

CheeseHasLeafs

Question

Like in the title

I see in the wiki that several weapons have 100% stagger listed. These include Reaper Prime, Orthos and any weapon with Serrated Blade damage (Flux Rifle, Ethers). 
How does it work? I know what it is: hitting an enemy causes it to stagger backwards. But I've observed this with the Hate, where every hit on a regular Grineer causes them to stagger backward even though Hate is not listed as a weapon with 100% stagger. (Tested a Dark Dagger, and that doesn't seem to stagger them at all)
Also, enemies like the Grineer Commander and the Grineer heavies don't stagger when I hit them with Hate. Yet they also don't stagger when shot with the Flux Rifle, which leads me to believe that these enemies are resistant to stagger. 

Thanks

9 answers to this question

1st: Wikia is fan made, so there is missing information as long as incorrect information.

2nd: Stagger is 1 of the 2 types of knock back.

2.1 - Normal Knock back - Mobs animation is similar to those who are about to fall, lost balance on their feet.

2.2 - Stagger - Mobs animation is different, they "bend over" like they are in pain at the stomach area (using grineer as example since i't the faction i kill more)

3rd: 100% stagger might not be as accurate as wikia says. It can be 100% vs Grineer, 0% vs Corpus and 50% vs Infested.

2.1 - Normal Knock back - Mobs animation is similar to those who are about to fall, lost balance on their feet.

2.2 - Stagger - Mobs animation is different, they "bend over" like they are in pain at the stomach area (using grineer as example since i't the faction i kill more)

The first is commonly refered to as "ragdolling" i.e you make the mob go limp and flop about on the ground with sometimes hilarious results.

However does anyone have a comprehensive knowledge of the stagger mechanic that they'd like to share?

It is rather easy: either the weapons stagger or they don't. Check out the Wiki, it is fairly accurate when it comes to listing what a weapon does. For example the Kogake melee weapon will always stagger Grineer.

Edited by Brimir

The first is commonly refered to as "ragdolling" i.e you make the mob go limp and flop about on the ground with sometimes hilarious results.

From my knowledge, only two weapons do this and they are the Kogake and the Kestrel. These two weapons deal 'forcefield' damage and this is completely separate from stagger. 

It is rather easy: either the weapons stagger or they don't. Check out the Wiki, it is fairly accurate when it comes to listing what a weapon does. For example the Kogake melee weapon will always stagger Grineer.

This is precisely my question. It seems some enemies cannot be staggered, like the Grineer Commander. Also, some weapons which are not listed on the wiki as being able to stagger do in fact stagger regular enemies and infested ancients. For example, the Hate. The wiki being as unreliable as a player made wiki tends to be, I was wondering if anyone had definite knowledge on what does stagger and what stagger works on. 

Grineer Commanders are super weird. As a general rule, everything that works on any other Grineer unit does not work on them. To me they seem almost glitchy in that regard...

As for Infested: I haven't tested it it, but my theory is that anything that deals the 3xDamage to Infested will also stagger them on hit. Either that or each weapon has a hidden stagger %, just like they have a hidden crit %.

Grineer Commanders are super weird. As a general rule, everything that works on any other Grineer unit does not work on them. To me they seem almost glitchy in that regard...

As for Infested: I haven't tested it it, but my theory is that anything that deals the 3xDamage to Infested will also stagger them on hit. Either that or each weapon has a hidden stagger %, just like they have a hidden crit %.

Just not Chargers, who are immune to all forms of knockback.

1st: Wikia is fan made, so there is missing information as long as incorrect information.

2nd: Stagger is 1 of the 2 types of knock back.

Personal experience seems to suggest there are two kinds of Stagger:

2.2.1 - Light Stagger (Crewmen, Grineer Lights + Mediums)

2.2.2 - Medium/Heavy Stagger (all the above, plus Ancients & Moas)

For example, Dual Zoren can stagger a Moa or an Ancient, but Amphis can do neither despite both possessing "100% stagger chance"

You mean Runners, right? The asplodin' dudes? Chargers (the ex-Grineer) stagger quite noticably.

Well I dunno, Sonic Boom doesn't seem to do anything but push them back (they immediately run again, while the other enemies are getting back up), any melee weapon doesn't stagger with jump attack (not even Kestrel and Kogake), so maybe it's just the Flux..