Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mastery Ranks

Elhazzared

I think the mastery system is kind of nice.  Warframe has no real end game... the only things to do really are testing weapons and leveling your mastery (unless you count grinding materials).  You think mastery is dumb because you have to use new weapons?  Do you really not get incredibly bored using the same stuff all the time?  Mastery is nice because it gives you something to work for, and since the exp weekend when I hit rank 8, I realized it made me kinda sad to know that rank and the next ones won't actually do anything for me.

To make people feel elitist. A Hek isn't any harder to use than a strun and an acrid isn't any harder to use than a bolto, so "showing you're ready to use them" is nonsense.It's not like you'd give a lanka or an ogris to a rank 2 player and they'd have no idea how to use it, and if they didn't they'd figure it out after firing once.

The only positive I see is it feels like you're working towards something (the energy weapons are pretty unique and fun so it's exciting when you finally get a hold of them).

You opinion will probably be very unpopular as most people seem to think that "you can't handle higher mastery weapons" or that they deserve to be better since they're hard to get.

EDIT: also pretty much what insomniac said. Not that I have anything against DE trying to make money but he's right, they prolong game exposure and waste your time with crap weapon (since most the weapons are either clones of each other or just plain bad).

Edited by merryfistmas

I am currently at rank 10 and felt it was a waste of time without any point. The majority of weapons and frames I leveled I didn't like and I nearly rage quit leveling up some of the worthless long swords. Rank in this game is badly implemented and there is no reason to have it attached to leveling up weapon and frame. It would be nice if you just had to amass enough general experience for your overall rank to increase.

If someone tells me the joys of clan tech or whatever nonsense I do not like those weapon or want to do any clan Dojo stuff. I had no reason to go past rank 4 but did anyway because it gave me something to do.

If you think it's a slog, it'll be a slog. If you see it as a waste of time, it will be one.

I just want to get it done an over with, but spending time on a weapon, learning its intricacies, uniqueness, and how to properly mod it to its advantage made me rethink its usefulness. Every weapon that was released has its strong points, and dismissing them as trash is a massive disservice to all the time DEvs spent making them.

By the time I finished maxing my Braton Mk-I, i was pretty much attached to the stupid thing. Even seriously considered supercharging it!

I actually had it surpercharged as well, it was a decent weapon up till 50s. Then the DPS is just too low to consider using it, even before grineer boosts. As for learning weapons how they works and stuff like that. Really, you pick up a few different weapons and you can tell what all others do based on their stats, it doesn't takes much to learn that and some weapons are in fact pretty damn horrible.

All he had was the weekend boost, since he has no credit card, and doesn't want to buy plat.

Wow, you're a hateful person.... why do you hate so many weapons? Cause they're underpowered? Cause they're ugly? Cause they're not a weapon you enjoy using? If it's cause you're underpowered, mod them, sometimes the underpowered weapons work a lot better when moded. If it's because they're ugly, ignore the looks. If it's because it's not a weapon type you enjoy using, you need to open your mind. 

Weak? are you soloing this? or are you going in teams? Are you even using these so called "Weak warframe/weapons" currently?

So what you're saying is that games shouldn't put caps in place to keep players from getting higher/better weapons? You do realize a lot of games do this, and it's not going to change any.

Limited warfame and weapon slots are issues, but my only advice is try out a warfame/weapon, level it up to max, if and sell it if you don't like it, the key idea here is to TRY it. which from the look of things, it looks like you hate everything.

I have no clue as to how he did all that in the weekend, but I imagine he did nothing but use all warframes not maxed, all weapons not maxed and do this hours upon hors only to stop to eat and sleep... I'd be dead of boredom if I had to do that.

I hate weapons that are just not good. I'm ok with different playstyles, but some weapons just aren't good and having to use them is a pain in the &#!. It's not about not being open minded, it's about them being plain bad even supercharged when compared to other similar and much better weapons. Let's say a grakata... Why on earth would anyone pick that? sure it has a very high RoF but it's incredibly low damage renders the weapon completly useless at higher levels, I have Afuris which used to be devastating some patches ago when I had stoped playing, now that I've picked up... They are worthless, they took severe nerfs and they cannot kill anything anymore so it's effective DPs is now trash. High rate of fire right now is just plain bad if you don't have a decent damage value to keep up with. It isn't just the DPS you have to consider but 2 other factors which are ammo effiency and how many things can you kill with a clip. Another example, take the lato. You have to keep clicking to fire which is inconvinient and it deals little damage. Compare it to say, Vasto and it's not even a competation even if it has a higher clip. In fact there is no better pistol than the Vasto in my opinion, however there are other acceptable pistols out there like lex, seer and possibly bronko. Most of the pistols are bad, same for most of the rifles. All snipers are bad with the exception of the Lanka and the reason is pretty simple. For a sniper they have a very low damage, even the Hek does more damage with a high rate of fire. Shotguns have the Hek which is acceptable and possibly Sobek for it's high ammo capacity even if at the loss of some damage, plus it's full auto. Mellee it might depend on your playstyle but I don't particularly like mellee so mellee to me has one use an one use only, multiple kills on infested which means just a big weapons and charge attacks, anything else is irrelevant. Again I don't like mellee so while there are other effective mellee weapons, I wouldn't use them to save my life.

By weak warframes I mean lower level ones. Since they don't have many levels and are not supercharged they are weak by comparison to my main warframes. most of the time I solo, sometimes I play with a friend but as I said earlier in this thread, he's quiting the game for these problems with hard cap weapons for no good reason... it isn't that this makes you play more, it just gets you so aggravated at the game that you quit. And yes, currently I got nothing else to do besides getting all of this stuff to level 30, most of which is going to be sold of course (that is considering I don't abandon the game in the very near future).

I know a lot of games do this and to be honest. There are 2 reasons I don't play planetside 2. First is that it's nearly impossible to distingish a freind from a foe and second is the weapon cap being ridiculous.

And yes, that is how I'm doing, but it still doesn't saves me from having to grind all weapons and warframes I didn't want to.

I think the mastery system is kind of nice.  Warframe has no real end game... the only things to do really are testing weapons and leveling your mastery (unless you count grinding materials).  You think mastery is dumb because you have to use new weapons?  Do you really not get incredibly bored using the same stuff all the time?  Mastery is nice because it gives you something to work for, and since the exp weekend when I hit rank 8, I realized it made me kinda sad to know that rank and the next ones won't actually do anything for me.

If I had all weapons available wouldn't I get bored of always using the same weapon? I guess you're missing the point that if I have all weapons available I can use whatever I want whenever I want.

It's not a matter of mastery being "hard" and it's not just walling off noobs. It punishes players who find and play with something they like. I had 450 hours in game and was at rank 6. Why? I was perfectly happy with my three favorite frames, the latron prime, akboltos, and gram. I knew I was happy from reading the stats on other frames and weapons. At the very least mastery should not just be given for the first time you level something. Before the auras changed I three stared my favorite frames and weapons. The longer you play with something the more of a master you become. So why is there diminishing returns on mastery when you forma an item?

When the patch came out I was like "hey the acrid looks like fun," but no, it's locked behind a mastery level. I just spent the last week grinding a bunch of frames and weapons that I do not like just so I could play with a weapon that I probably will. This is messed up. I have seen time and again in games where you have to "level up" in some way to get better gear. (usually kills or xp) I have never seen the leveling reliant on trying new stuff this badly. If you just sit back and enjoy the game with your favorite weapons you're screwed when it comes to mastery. The next time this happens, I'm gone. I know you fanboys that "gotta catch em all" don't care, but that's the bottom line.

One of the frames I ground to get my rank 7 was Nyx. Say what you want about the frame, I knew from reading the ability descriptions that I would not enjoy playing the frame, it's not my style. But I was forced to grind it anyways so I could gain access to the new weapons.

It's bad enough to craft a weapon, especially a frame and then discover that you don't like it as there is no refund for your materials or time. But being forced to play that thing you don't like just for mastery is adding insult to injury. Whatever the thought process actually is behind this concept is flawed when I play the game, support the game with money, and then still get held back just because I'm not grinding weapons and frames I do not like.

What's wrong with finding your preferred combination of gear and just rolling with that? This isn't college, I shouldn't be forced to take a bunch of classes I have no interest in to "broaden my horizons" before I get the degree I want.

Edited by Carcharias