Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Pc/ps4] Controller Support

BladeMaverick

TL;DR Edition below.

A few things I would like to bring up when it comes to controllers with WARFRAME :

Too many options for so few buttons / Awkward pre-existing button binds : Ok yeah, this is one major stickler I myself am having, and perhaps a few others - controllers only have so many buttons in comparison to a PC keyboard/mouse setup. If WARFRAME is to launch for the PS4, this may benefit both PC and PS4 players who use a controller.

I myself use an Xbox 360 wired controller. It's just what I'm comfortable with. Fluid motion in comparison to precision. Same number of buttons on a 360 controller as well with the PS3 (Unless the PS4 controller has gadzooks more buttons and features to it, I don't know.). It's just that there's too many different options that can be condensed into a few buttons.

How frequently does one reload? Can't reload when one already has a full magazine, or there's more than enough left in the mag to continue on without reloading.

What about that "USE" button that's only used in opening vaults, triggering Sabotage/Raid/Control Panel Cipher events?

Honestly I think those two can be merged into one button, or at least, much like how keyboard bindings can be combined together so one key does multiple options.

With that, would allow a player to assign the now free button something that can be used comfortably.

The same goes with Sprint/Roll. By default, Sprint/Roll is set to LStick-In, where one clicks in the left stick to use its button function. Sadly enough, this requires the left stick to be HELD DOWN to use sprint, and to click/release to Roll.

Yes, I realize that there is a "Toggle Sprint" button. Point being : With the current setup I have now, there's no where to even BIND "roll" due to the fact that..

My current setup :

A : Jump

B : Reload

X : Use
Y : Swap weapons

LTrig : ADS

LBump : Sprint/Roll

RTrig : Fire

RBump : Melee

LStick : Move
LStick-IN : N/A

RStick : Look

RStick-IN : Crouch/Slide

DPad UP-LEFT-RIGHT-DOWN : Powers 1/2/3/4 respectively.

With the default, Left Bumper is set to "Use Power", which is whatever power is currently selected. Which, might I add, is selected using DPad Left/Right, having to select what power you want to use before you can use it. Counter-Intuitive for a fast-paced third person game, no?

As well, Defend was set to DPad Up, and "Item Popup", the quick inventory was set to DPad Down - To which was pointless since one would have had to use their mouse to SELECT the item they wanted. Defend is a different story, and in an awkward location by default to be used regardless.

If we were able to bind multiple functions to one button, several issues would be addressed at one time. As previously stated, combining Reload and Use together, freeing up one button. Perhaps merging Crouch and Roll into one button would also be beneficial (Hold down Crouch to toggle Crouch, or to at least Crouch only as long as the button is held down while a quick press of the button would allow the user to Roll). This, again, freeing up a useful button for comfortable gameplay. Myself switching Left Bumper to, say : Defend, and set Left Stick-IN to Sprint Toggle.

In conclusion : Being able to bind multiple functions to one button would help controller players greatly as they'll be able to play comfortably and the way they want to have their controller binds tailored to their personal preference.

Would like to know everyone's view on the topic. Please don't diss anyone who uses a controller. Just because you use Keyboard and Mouse doesn't mean it's "the master race". Everyone else may have a different view than you. ;P

Your going to get this at some point, so, i'll do it at kindly as i can.

Your best bet is to use Mouse+Keyboard.

If you "need" to use the controller, i'd wait for the PS4 version as it will be optimized for controller support gameplay.

The only other thing is hope DE takes your suggestions onboard, but, i wouldn't keep your hopes up.

Your going to get this at some point, so, i'll do it at kindly as i can.

Your best bet is to use Mouse+Keyboard.

If you "need" to use the controller, i'd wait for the PS4 version as it will be optimized for controller support gameplay.

The only other thing is hope DE takes your suggestions onboard, but, i wouldn't keep your hopes up.

Gameplay wise I'm doing rather well with the current setup, it's just a leisure to have multiple bindings. Got to Mastery 8 just by using Controller without that big of a hitch. :\

Tbh I've been using a PS3 controller emulating a 360 one via Motioninjoy since I started playing, and have had no issues. I really don't give a F*** about rolling, and nothing else is particularly hard to do. The worst thing is having to switch to mouse for ciphers, but I've gotten used to that.

I also consistently have the highest accuracy on the rare occasion I play group, so, fun anecdote there. Whereas I can barely play at all using a mouse.