Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Frost an Ice elemental is affected by Icy stages ... weird

ian_quia2

When I mentioned this about Ember before, difficulty wasn't the issue for me. It was about certain things making sense. I understand that a lot of things can be hand-waved in a setting like this in the name of game-balance, but coherency in gameplay elements is still important. The flamethrower comparison for Ember doesn't make a lot of sense to me, because she isn't wielding a seperate weapon that spews fire - she's doing that stuff herself. She literally manifests flame and wades through it - which means that taking damage from other fire sources is something that sorta sticks out like a sore thumb. The same thing applies to Frost, partly through association with Ember's inexplicable vulnerability to fire that she HASN'T created.

You could expound on that by wondering why other frames can wade through an inferno created by her without issue yet get roasted by regular little fires.

I would propose solving this bit of content incoherency by allowing frames to offer passive defence bonuses to squadmates in the same mission - for example, while giving an Ember player heavy resistance to fire-based attacks and enviromental hazards, having one in the squad could pass on a fraction of that resistance to players in the same squad as a passive bonus for the duration of that mission. Similar things could be done with Frost with Ice hazard missions, and perhaps even Rhino with melee-based enemies, for instance. It could offer additional incentives for variety in the make-up of a squad if handled right.

It is a game, not a Sim. Screw logic, I am Tenno.

It is a game, not a Sim. Screw logic, I am Tenno.

It not being a sim is not an excuse for things not coming together properly. Fire burns - unless it doesn't (Ember) in which case fire shouldn't burn at all, or at least burn less.

"It's magic/technology, I ain't gotta explain S#&$" can only take you so far, and playing that card on remarkably basic things is not a good idea.

For Ember, she could still be burned fully. It makes sense, if she's not fireproof in some way, that is. All her fire attacks could be summoned near her, but not on her. I don't think she sets herself ablaze to attack, just shoots it outward. So we can say her hands might be fire resistant? For Ember, it seems ok that she takes full fire damage.

For Frost, I think it's different than Ember. Everyone says he has standard Tenno shields, but where does it say that? And if he does, why doesn't his constant usage of extreme cold hurt his own shield? Unlike Ember, being near ice (ice levels) causes the shields to be halved. It would follow that Frost's icy attacks should also drain his shields, or, he has some special shields that withstand ice, in which case they should also withstand icy levels.

My friend put it simply, when it comes to general fire damage thought: If I use my fleshy fist to punch your fleshy face, it still hurts, right? So why can't I use fire to damage something made of fire?

For Frost though, the above flesh example doesn't apply since the game is just being inconsistent. Either always damage shields with ice, or don't. But don't go half and half. The game's in beta, and this would be a neat change to make.