Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Suggestion For Blocking

SmallPaws

As mentioned in the livestream today, blocking needs a proper functionality update. My suggestion is to change the way the blocking affects the stamina usage and the mechanics of the blocking itself.

Stamina:

Current:

Stamina is consumed on a linear basis with time, completely independent of the events around and the actions of the warframe.

Change:

Blocking should not consume stamina when not in motion and not taking fire/hits.

When a player begins to move while blocking, they will begin to consume a proportional amount of stamina for walking and a larger proportion for sprinting.

When a player successfully blocks attacks, stamina will be consumed independently of whether or not the are in motion.

What this accomplishes:

1) a short burst of being able to block on-the-go

2) a steady blocking movement towards a certain point

3) and the ability to hold a position for longer periods of time, possibly drawing attention away as teammates are recovering or something vital needs an redirecting of damage

Mechanism:

Current:

The warframe only blocks anything directly, or strictly narrow, in front of their current view and all warframes have identical capabilities in blocking.

Change:

The radius of blocking will be increased to a minimum of 'X' degrees for the slowest warframe, and increase based on speed of the warframe from that value.

Each warframe has different capabilities to block and through a larger radius respective to their capabilities.

Ex: A Loki warframe is much faster than a Rhino.

This will give him many advantages over a Rhino, that will not entirely render blocking for a Rhino obsolete, such as:

1) a larger blocking radius

2) more precision in blocking based on speed of reaction (larger proportion of damage is reduced)

This will also give the Loki warframe major disadvantages, such as:

1) faster stamina consumption

What this accomplishes:

Each warframe has distinct skills that define the survivability of the individual warframe, and this furthers that idea where slower warframes rely on tough shielding, as opposed to a faster warframe relying on speed. This can allow for a larger mod system, such as blocking effectiveness (named Reaction for example), blocking radius, etc.

Thoughts, comments, concerns?

Edited by SmallPaws

If you're going as deep as to whether they're moving fast or not, or thier types of warframe, why not throw in weapon sise?(furax will be held longer than something like the scindo/gram) along with that, there should be a "block rating" on the weapon when you first buy it(dual heat swords block less incoming fire than the gram), also based on that fire block, it should be either you take damage or you dont based on weapon sise, and if the incoming projectile hits that weapon, not the "you only take 50% dmg" shiz they have in now

I personally think the main factor behind blocking should be the weapon. If Warframes have "blocking" stats then have it be a minor thing imo. Not sure if most people realize or not but pretty sure all the weapons have a "counter attack". Blocking, sustaining a hit and then attacking during. Maybe it's just animations overlapping but I would love to see actual counter attacking if this isn't really a thing.

I don't think moving should impact stam drain. You're just holding a weapon while running. They do that all ready. Maybe have more stam consumed when running & blocking (actually blocking a hit), not just drain because of movement.

Maybe unrelated but I would love for each melee weapon to have unique blocking animations and "guarded" anims.

I can't use block as I have a normal mouse and I like all the keys where they are around my ASWD. :/ I suppose I could put inventory somewhere else and put block where Q is... But I've never used block before and I've been doing fine. But it sucks that I have to buy a piece of hardware in order to have all the functions of this game's gameplay.