Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Launcher restarts on its own

Jaimme65

For the past 2 days whenever i start up warframe the launcher first says that there is a 381KB update and after 2 seconds restarts on its own. 
I tried turning bulk downlaod off but it does not help. I dont know what the problem is. I have Warframe downloaded using Steam, Not from the official site.

If anyone knows how to fix this please help.

Edited by Jaimme65

• 1 month later...

Same issue, my game is from the official site, not through Steam. I opened a support ticket as well but no response.

Managed to fix it, but I fiddled around so much I don't really know what "THE" fix actually was.

Edited by Nandiman
typo; update

Ok, so here's what I did to fix it. I removed the launcher, for me at: C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Warframe\ and replaced it with the one in C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Warframe\Downloaded\Dev\Tools

I then used that launcher and it started patching the game properly. This might not work for everyone, but it did for me. (Make sure to keep the original files as backup, in case this does not work.

Hope this info is of help to someone.

Edited by DemonDrakar
typo

Have the same issue. Tried replacing the launchers and it didn't work. I've also tried disabling 64-bit and changing language, no go. I can't even click on verify in the launcher's settings because it restarts too fast. The only thing I haven't tried is reinstalling the game, but right now I'm in a place with limited Internet so that's a no go as well.

Reinstalling the game does fix it but it keeps coming back so it's not a good solution as you have to redownload the game every time... This crap has happened to me 4 times in the last week, surely there's a way to fix it once and for all...?

Getting same problem.

MIAy4fS.gif

The error in launcher.log

Aborting download of /Tools/Launcher.exe.9686F4A655C64A296369836C93F44F26.lzma
Downloaded 376,845 bytes total (397,290 expected) ~ 2,463,039 B/s
POST /stats/launcherUpload.php HTTP/1.1
Host: ToS violation
Content-Length: 327
Cache-Control: no-cache

HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request
Server: Apache
Content-Length: 0
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2018 09:46:07 GMT
Connection: close

Could not get request launcherUpload.php (status: 400)

38 minutes ago, blurtwhip said:

Getting same problem.

MIAy4fS.gif

The error in launcher.log

Thanks for the log, I tried getting one myself but the restarts were too quick to get there in time.

Any chance you can provide the text from the two other logs as well? The EE.log and DxDiag.log that is.

Edited by Alcerei

I have this same issue. Really very frustrating. Been happening to me for the past couple of weeks, but has resolved itself on it's own the last few times. This time however, it's been 3 days and I can't get into the game. 😞

Not sure what's causing it, but very frustrated.

Ok, I wish I had a screen shot, but I don't.  So, I will try to explain.

Windows system basically has it's hooks in Launcher.exe before you try to update.  During the process of the update, Warframe does not release the hold that windows has on it so warframe is unable to backup the Launcher.exe and is then unable to rename the file Launcher.exe.cpy to Launcher.exe. 

MoveFileEx(C:\Users\{your name here}\AppData\Local\Warframe\Downloaded\Public\Tools\Launcher.exe.tmp, C:\Users\{your name here}\AppData\Local\Warframe\Downloaded\Public\Tools\Launcher.exe) failed.
Access is denied. [0x00000005]
Could not not replace file C:\Users\{your name here}\AppData\Local\Warframe\Downloaded\Public\Tools\Launcher.exe
Staging file C:\Users\{your name here}\AppData\Local\Warframe\Downloaded\Public\Tools\Launcher.exe.cpy

What you need to do is:

Reboot your computer so that windows system is not attached to warframe and then head to 

C:\Users\{your user name here}\AppData\Local\Warframe\Downloaded\Public\Tools

Rename file Launcher.exe to something other than that, like Launcher_becausewarframecouldntdoitsoIwill.exe

then rename file Launcher.exe.cpy to Launcher.exe

and then hopefully voila!  <- yup used an exclamation point there, hope I didn't trigger someone.

If this doesn't work for you then I'm completely wrong and sorry, but it worked for me.

GL all, happy Eidolon hunting!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2018-08-26 at 4:37 AM, Fsunate said:

What you need to do is:

Reboot your computer so that windows system is not attached to warframe and then head to 

Rename file Launcher.exe to something other than that, like Launcher_becausewarframecouldntdoitsoIwill.exe

This worked for me. Thank you so much!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2018-08-26 at 4:37 AM, Fsunate said:

Ok, I wish I had a screen shot, but I don't.  So, I will try to explain.

Windows system basically has it's hooks in Launcher.exe before you try to update.  During the process of the update, Warframe does not release the hold that windows has on it so warframe is unable to backup the Launcher.exe and is then unable to rename the file Launcher.exe.cpy to Launcher.exe. 

What you need to do is:

and then hopefully voila!  <- yup used an exclamation point there, hope I didn't trigger someone.

If this doesn't work for you then I'm completely wrong and sorry, but it worked for me.

GL all, happy Eidolon hunting!

This worked for me also, problem is, that I need to do this every time the launcher has an update. Sometimes multiple times.

Is there no way the game developers can somehow, fix this?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...
1 hour ago, Caasidyan said:

Somehow this bug returned...

I highly doubt this is the same bug from 2018, even if the outcome is the same "launcher not working properly / crashes".

For the U33.6 release, there's a PSA for the launcher having issues, so I'd recommend trying the recommended steps in it and starting another thread if it does not solve it: