Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Idea: Handicap Mods For Increased Mod Points

VKhaun

I've been going back and forth between playing as a paying player with lots of toys, and rank farming with stuff I don't care to put a catalyst in, and I notice that without a catalyst or rank 30, you rarely use all your mod slots... in fact most of the time I find myself with only one or two mods in my weapons when farming rank.

As a nod to both free players and people chasing rank points who don't want to wait for or buy catalysts for every weapon, what if they put in mods like the Aura mods where they increased available points rather than decreasing them, but they were still slotted in the regular slots. Trade off being that the mod cards gave a negative effect instead of a positive one...

Examples

Rifle:

+11 points, reload time is tripled.

+9 points, maximum magazine size decreased X%

+7 points, maximum ammo pool decreased X%

+5 points, Weapon Zoom is reduced to nil.

Shotgun:

+11 points, falloff damage range cut in half

+9 points, pellets per shot reduced by X% (A negative multishot multiplier)

Melee:

+11 points, damage type becomes 'bullet'.

+9 points, charge time is doubled

+7 points, crit chance = 0%

Warframe:

+11 points, Power costs +66%

+9 points, -X% armor and shield recharge rate.

+7 points, weapon swap time doubled

+5 points, can not block

So lets say you get yourself a shiny new Fragor and you want to level it with your friends doing an infested mobile defense? Fragor doesn't do extra to light infested anyway, so you use the handicap mod to make it bullet damage type and with those points you can put a hellfire mod in it. You are trying to do light attacks to keep up momentum and not get knocked down so you don't care about charge time. Second mod cuts your charge rate in half, but gives you points for pressure point.

You wouldn't use those all the time, but they can server a purpose.

Or lets say your Rank 30 Boltor is your new favorite gun, but you have to stick it to the man and so you can't buy a catalyst and one hasn't dropped in FOR EVER (world's smallest violin...). You can still use more than two or three mods by giving up some mag capacity if you're a compulsive reloader anyway, or just get those last 'couple points to use three expensive mods by getting rid of zoom.

You could permanently accept these tradeoffs to help you use what you want to as a free player or reach rank 30 and wait for something else to level up.

Yes?

No?

Should we instead do SPECIFIC tradeoffs? One self contained mod that increases damage but decreases swing speed? I prefer those choices in the player's hands, but I can see how it would be easier to balance static exchanges like that.

Edited by VKhaun

We dont need to make this game easier. So this idea is just awful

That's not constructive. With Forma and catalysts you can use up all your slots with expensive mods. This idea would not raise the ceiling on the maximum power of a weapon in any way.

Interesting notion. Would definitely be nice to make things "even beefier" right out of the box, rather than waiting and hoping to get their stats up. I also can imagine this being a great source of income for DE, as having a few starter pack bundles of recalibration mods like this would likely be a popular plat item--toss a few in, min-max the heck out of your gear right off the bat, and then just gradually toss them as they become inconvenient/wasteful.

It would definitely curtail the dread of being forced to use your brand new weapon, and would be a great boon to some of the weapons that aren't particularly good when brand new.