The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

ERROR_INTERNET_TIMEOUT

mcarig

I've been trying to login for the past few days and i can't get past the login part. First a message would appear saying that the network wasn't responding. Now I can't even get to the login part, as a message appears saying "error_internet_timeout". 

I've already tried all the basic troubleshooting given on the warframe technical support forum, and have also disabled my antivirus and firewall. 

It seems like a lot of people are having this problem, no answer from DE but same people are able to play it and some are having this same issue as you (and me) are having. I'm just waiting to see how long it will take for them to solve it :/

6 hours ago, Vitodo said:

getting this warning for 2 days now.... tryed VPN, reinstall... what should I do next?

This solved the problem for my friend, changing the DNS server on the router from the default to the google public DNS(primary: 8.8.8.8 secundary: 8.8.4.4)

I am also having this issue.  I've been scouring the internet for days trying a lot of different supposed fixes.  I see a lot of people saying what they have tried but they leave out the most important part, what platform they are using and what their specific network setup looks like and when specifically did the problem start.  For example, I am running Windows 10 Home edition with the latest updates and have 3 machines (2 desktops and a laptop) running Warframe on the same network through a router and a cable modem.  2 of the machines work fine (1 desktop and 1 laptop).  All have the same IP address to the Warframe server, so unless the bans are at the Mac Address layer (difficult and ultimately futile since Mac Addresses can be changed by a knowledgeable user) the IP ban "excuse" by DE is not true, at least for me.  The problem started for me during the Excalibur Umbra update. 

Error Message received:  The content servers are temporarily unavailable ERROR_INTERNET_TIMEOUT

Looking at the log files I see this message for all 5 retries: 

HTTP GET /origin/698A4DF8/index.txt.lzma
Could not send request for /origin/698A4DF8/index.txt.lzma (ERROR_INTERNET_TIMEOUT)

The 698A4DF8 will be different for everyone as this is just a temporary folder that is created by Warframe during startup of the app.

To date I have tried the following:

1 - Reinstalled warframe (did not work)

2 - I updated (Modify option) all of the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables (did not work), I even removed all of them and that did nothing as well.

3 - I disabled firewall protection for 15 minutes to rule out any firewall rule issues, the game still failed. 

4 - I checked Microsoft Edge and Chrome to see if any proxy server information was installed, none was.  (did not work)

5 - Changed internal IP address and DNS server addresses.  (did not work)

6 - Tested through multiple Internet Service Providers (Intelliwave, Verizon Hotspot, Comcast) in different regions of the country (Ohio, Georgia)  (nothing worked)

6 - Used VPN (this worked but will cost additional money, I used a free trial to test, interesting to note that I only needed the VPN for the update process.  I could turn it off after the update and then click the play button and the game ran fine.)

7 - Swapped in a Mac Address that worked (from one of my other systems) to check if Mac Address filtering was an issue.  (did not work)

8 - I linked the game with Steam and ran it through their service (did not work)

9 - I loaded a fresh copy of Windows 10 in a VMWare Virtual Machine and the game updated and ran, but again not an optimal solution as this requires dividing computer resources (GPU, Ram, Hard disk, etc..).  This leads me to believe that there is a corrupt file in my Windows 10 installation that is used by Warframe to make the initial connection and that it was corrupted during either one of the Windows 10 updates or more likely one of the Warframe updates (since this started happening during the initial Excalibur Umbra update.)

10 - Reinstalled Windows 10 keeping my documents and apps (did not work, leading me to believe it is not a Windows 10 core file that is the issue and in fact may be a Warframe file that is only used in certain configurations - one that was changed during the Excalibur Umbra update) - Something only a Dev can check and corroborate.

Thoughts:  A none core Windows file that is used by Warframe is corrupt.  This corruption probably happened when installing a game or game update, i.e. Warframe that uses the same support file (.dll probably).  I could reinstall windows and all my applications but I suspect that at some point when I either update a game or install a new game I will run into this exact same issue again, so again probably a futile effort.

Request to DE: Please post all the .dll files that are used during the "Checking for Update" process and there respective versions if available.  A hash for each file for verification would also help greatly to assist in determining if any one of the .dlls is corrupt, a wrong version, or actual malware.

UPDATE (6/24/18):  I tried to attack this on a more technical layer so I installed Process Explorer from SysInternals (it's free) and watched as the launcher started.  I found that several .dll files were being called (wow64.dll, wow64win.dll, wow64cpu.dll, ntdll.dll, dinput.dll and libcef.dll)  all but libcef.dll are in the windows\system32 directory.  However, the libcef.dll is specific to Warframe and after a quick search I found about 8 of them on my system.  Each one in a game directory.  So I commenced to try each one (by renaming the DE one and then copying a new one from another game directory into the Warframe folder where the old one was located) instead of the one supplied by DE and none of them fixed the issue.  This does not exclude libcef.dll as the culprit (DE please check this file).  I then systematically (through safe boots to a Command Prompt) renamed each of the other dlls one by one and replaced them from one of my other systems (also Windows 10) where Warframe works, rebooted and then tested Warframe.  After each file I returned the original file and tested the next one.  After testing all the files individually, still no joy.  My next attempt will be to replace all the files at once and see if that works, very doubtful that it will though.  I'll keep posting updates until I, or someone else figures out what file(s) is/are the culprits and how to fix it.

UPDATE2 (6/24/18): Replaced all the .dll files (except libcef.dll because the one from DE is required) and it did not solve the issue.  Still looking at the launcher and what it is calling during startup.  If anyone finds other files that are being called please post and I will test them as well.

UPDATE Potential FIX Found:  See new post in this thread for Walkthrough.

Edited by Lotran
Potential Fix Found!!!

Ok so after 5 days of research and many attempts at fixing the connection issue (see my earlier post in this thread), I have found a potential fix for the ERROR_INTERNET_TIMEOUT issue.  I happened upon a internet post (https://windowsreport.com/sims-4-wont-start-fix/) for a different game (SIMS) that showed how to do a clean boot.  This allowed me to start the game and get it to download, but it didn't show exactly which service or startup file was causing the problem.  So, I decided that I would track down exactly which one was causing my issue.  I mention this because the service that caused my issue may not be the same service that is causing your issue.  Therefore you should follow the process below to determine exactly which one is causing your problem.  

Here is how I fixed my problem:

Follow the directions in Solution 2 of https://windowsreport.com/sims-4-wont-start-fix/.  If that link doesn't work for some reason here are the steps for solution 2:

Press Windows Key + R and enter msconfig. Now press Enter or click OK
The Sims 4 cannot start

On the Services tab,  click to select the Hide all Microsoft servicescheck box > select Disable all.
Sims 4 won't open Windows 10

On the Startup tab, click Open Task Manager.
The Sims 4 cannot start

Select each startup item > click Disable.
Sims 4 won't open after update

Close Task Manager > click OK > restart the computer.

The Sims 4 won't run

If the Clean boot solves your problem, you need to enable disabled applications and services one by one or in groups until you find the cause of the problem.

I used a heap sort technique to quickly identify my culprit application service (Killer Network Service).  This may be your culprit as well if you have an Alienware system or another system withe the Killer Wireless Adapter.  Disabling the Killer Network Service did not stop my wireless service from working.  So, I just disabled it and restored all my other startup apps and services.  Problem solved!

I truly hope this helps some other people resolve this issue, if so say hi in game to either Lotran or Xygusi  🙂  Good Luck!

This didn't worked for me, I got a message for support with the same solutions as the general troubleshooting for the launcher that I already told them I followed very carefully, so yeah, I don't know what to do.

I guess I'll try to reinstall the game, some people have said that didn't worked for them, but after looking and trying all the solutions out there, the only one left for me is that one.

I contacted the Warframe Support, and, the problem is that the firewall is blocking the launcher, so, to solve the problem, just allow the game and the launcher at the Windows Defender Firewall. Now, my game is working

Hope this solve the problem