Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Issues with UV map

I wished to contribute to TennoGen but new to a lot of this and have stumbled upon an issue that prevents me from really going anywhere. As a current (early) student I have some experience with modeling and little experience creating textures with Blender, Substance and C4D. However, to be honest, using the texture maps is actually a new experience for me. It'd be much appreciated if anyone with more experience could help me out.

The trouble I've been having is the display for the UV map in substance.

For instance, excalibur displays properly: 

Spoiler

AiFSsSC.png

But Nezha does not. I get pieces displaying over top of one another.

Spoiler

qhRoDcQ.png

After doing some research I am getting the feeling that I need to take some steps back and find out a solid place to start before worrying about these maps. I am not sure if I need to create new UV maps or if there is simply something I am missing or not doing right to begin with.

Unless you're using UDIMs, substance will assign texture sets based on the material ID's that have been applied in the modelling software (so, if you unwrapped the torso to fit an entire uv square, you'd assign a blank material to that, which you could then edit in substance, etc etc for all parts of the body). It looks like the materials have been assigned incorrectly; as in, the same material is applied to parts of the geometry that have overlapping uv's. This is a relatively simple fix, just go into Maya, or your software of choice, and take a closer look at the materials and the uv's. You may have to assign different ones based on the preexisting uv layout to ensure that there isnt overlap. 

I have tried to assign a new material per body part and checked the UV mapping in Blender and it appears to be fine. But when I load it in to Substance I get the exact same result. 2 texture sets with textures overlapping. I should have 4 texture sets. Body, cloth, ring, helmet. I even assigned the UV maps as different names in Blender.

Spoiler

RfCmBGF.png

That's strange, and not something I've come across before. The only cause I can think of is that you have "create a texture set per UDIM tile" checked in your settings for new project (which would explain the naming of "1001/1002" - which is the default naming for UDIM sets as it relates to the coordinates of the UV's. If thats the case then substance won't make the sets from the materials, but instead the coordinate location of the tiles (useful if you're not laying out UV's in the standard (0,1) space).

Edit: if you're not using UDIMs, but instead mat ID's, all the UV shells must be in the (0,1) space.

Edited by Lancelot185