Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Suggestion: Making Frames More Than One Skill! [A Gameplay Concept]

Kobalt

I'll get right to my point! A lot of the frames in the game all boiled down to one skill, for the vast majority this is the 4 or ultimate [save a couple exceptions]. I think as a whole, this really hurts the flow of combat and takes away from the game. A lot of the other skills are really fun and cool to use, but the rationing of energy does not encourage the use of anything other than the higher cost skills [once again a couple exceptions].

I had an idea last night that has some +s and -s to it, but I will simply out with it. What if you ran the ultimate ability of each frame on a different resource that was generated by the successful execution of the others?

+ Encourages the use of all of a frame's skills over favoring one.

+ Makes it impossible for frames to simply chain room clear with one skill.

+ Makes gameplay more exciting as a whole.

+ Allows for more powerful and spectacular ultimates, balance-wise.

+ Potentially balances out the mix of skill and weapon damage.

- Difficult implementation for support/semi-support frames/skills.

- Would probably require redistribution of energy costs.

- Would require other balancing considerations!

I would like some opinions on this from the concept standpoint, logistics aside! Does anyone else think they would like to see something like this? Then considering logistics, do you think this is doable or would break the game entirely?

Edited by Kobalt

this concept isn't necessarily bad but there are so many other things in the game they are still working on like locations, warframes, weapons, and all the bugs and glitches that is seems like quite a waste to overhaul the energy system right now, as there are many other things that need doing

It bothers me that across all my frames they basically boil down to one skill that I end up saving my energy for. It makes me sad and from a design standpoint, wouldn't it simply be easier to just design frames around the utilization of the one skill everyone will use anyway? Feels like a waste of the rest of the frames' capabilities to me is all.

I think the problem is the powers that aren't well-designed. Most frames' first ability are direct damage which deal either too little (ember,volt,frost) or simply hard to use due to aim mechanic (ash,ember). However, utility frame like Loki has well-designed powers which do not deal damage but distract and debuff. Playing Loki, I use all of his abilities without sparing because all of them are useful regardless of difficulty.

Moreover, the fact that only ultimate power can effectively dispatch foes in higher area means power design isn't good. You lose 1-2 of your powers in higher difficulty due to damage dealt no longer exceed enemy durability. Consider that each frame has 4 powers - that's mean you play only 3/4 to half of your frame in higher difficulty.

I think we should leave the energy as it is at the moment. Focusing on polishing each power and make it more useful/balance.

It would boil down to tier 1, 2, 3 skills where you have to have a tier 1 skill active in order to be able to operate a tier 2 skill...

I don't know that in the current configuration of the warframes this would be possible...

For exemple with Volt why would I have to shoot a shock to be able to use speed? Or shield? Would mke some sense to combine shock and overload... Unless me exemple is one of your "exceptions". Take the Excalibur. Woudl I have to dash to be able to jump?, or Jump to be able to Javalin?

You ideas is good but would require a redistribution of skills across pretty much all the warframes.

Also I use extensively my first skill even with my rank 30 excalibur...

I think the problem is the powers that aren't well-designed. Most frames' first ability are direct damage which deal either too little (ember,volt,frost) or simply hard to use due to aim mechanic (ash,ember). However, utility frame like Loki has well-designed powers which do not deal damage but distract and debuff. Playing Loki, I use all of his abilities without sparing because all of them are useful regardless of difficulty.

Moreover, the fact that only ultimate power can effectively dispatch foes in higher area means power design isn't good. You lose 1-2 of your powers in higher difficulty due to damage dealt no longer exceed enemy durability. Consider that each frame has 4 powers - that's mean you play only 3/4 to half of your frame in higher difficulty.

I think we should leave the energy as it is at the moment. Focusing on polishing each power and make it more useful/balance.

^ this guy, this guy right here. exactly what needs to happen. Skill need revamping rather than and huge change to the system of combat. OP's idea isnt bad at all, but would be a lot more work than just fixing the issues with the skills themselves.

It would boil down to tier 1, 2, 3 skills where you have to have a tier 1 skill active in order to be able to operate a tier 2 skill...

I don't know that in the current configuration of the warframes this would be possible...

For exemple with Volt why would I have to shoot a shock to be able to use speed? Or shield? Would mke some sense to combine shock and overload... Unless me exemple is one of your "exceptions". Take the Excalibur. Woudl I have to dash to be able to jump?, or Jump to be able to Javalin?

You ideas is good but would require a redistribution of skills across pretty much all the warframes.

Also I use extensively my first skill even with my rank 30 excalibur...

I simply meant that the use of your 1,2 and 3 would generate another form of energy to use 4.

As for working on each skill when mixing power and utility I'm not sure this is possible considering the cost system! So long as your 4 costs more, it will have to be proportionally better than the other skills...Unless each skill were designed as a situational tool with each having it's own specific use, there will always be greater focus on one skill for the resource spent over another. The only way to make each skill worth using it to have no skill have owerlap with another for function on any given frame.