Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mod Packs - How It Is, How It Could Be. | State Analysis & Suggestion For Change.

Ced23Ric

Oh hai! [size=2]~a lolcat, covered in mods, waves from the pile.~[/size]

Alright, let's get right into it. Currently, we have the option to purchase a series of modpacks. Quick overview:

• Hawk - 30 Plat
    Gives 5 mods, 5x common, with a chance* for uncommons or rares.
  • Falcon - 45 Plat
    Gives 5 mods, 1x uncommon, 4x common*, with a chance for uncommons or rares.
  • Eagle - 60 Plat
    Gives 5 mods, 1x rare, 4x common*, with a chance for uncommons or rares.
  • Phoenix - 75 Plat
    Gives 5 mods, 2x uncommon, 3x common*, with a chance for uncommons or rares.
  • Dragon - 90 Plat
    Gives 5 mods, 2x rare, 3x common*, with a chance for uncommons or rares.

Both Ligeia and I took a boatload of Platinum (3500 in total)*² and made testruns.

My results are more or less a basis for a read on this chance aspect. You can see the results of the purchases in this image ('warning, massive!):

VMpghlN.jpg

What is even more interesting, to get a feel for the spread, are Ligeia's readouts ('warning, massive!):

V19wuRj.jpg

Ligeia also wrote down every single mod for more accurate data interpretation:

2520 Platinum28 Dragon mod packs140 Mods0 Regrets--------------------------------------------------Powers--------------------------------------------------40x Rare        2x Absorb        1x Avalanche        1x Bladestorm        4x Blessing        4x Bullet Attractor        1x Chaos        2x Electric Shield        1x Fire Blast        2x Link        2x Miasma        1x Overload        2x Radial Blast        1x Radial Disarm        4x Radial Javelin        2x Rhino Stomp        2x Silence        1x Snow Globe        1x Sound Quake        2x Switch Teleport        2x Teleport        2x World On Fire3x Uncommon        1x Energy Vampire        2x Smoke Screen22x Common        2x Decoy        2x Fireball        1x Freeze        2x Mind Control        2x Rhino Charge        1x Shock        1x Slash Dash        4x Sonic Boom        3x Venom        4x Well Of Life--------------------------------------------------Non-Powers--------------------------------------------------21x Rare        1x Barrel Diffusion        2x Continuity        1x Flow        1x Handspring        2x Hell's Chamber        1x Retribution        1x Seeking Force        1x Seeker        2x Split Chamber        2x Streamline        4x Sundering Strike        3x Vital Sense14x Uncommon        1x Ammo Stock        1x Convulsion        1x Crowd Control        2x Cryo Rounds        1x Fury        1x Quick Rest        1x Reach        1x Shell Compression        1x Shotgun Spaz        1x Speed Trigger        2x Target Cracker        1x Thunderclap40x Common        1x Blunderbuss        5x Fast Hands        1x Flechette        4x Magazine Warp        3x Marathon        3x Organ Shatter        5x Pistol Gambit        2x Point Strike        2x Pressure Point        2x Quickdraw        3x Redirection        1x Slip Magazine        1x Staggering Force        4x Steel Fiber        2x True Steel        1x Vitality--------------------------------------------------Misc data--------------------------------------------------Total Rares:            61Total Uncommons:        17Total Commons:          62Ratio Powers:Non-PowersRare:                   40:21Uncommon:               3:14Common:                 11:20

Those two images and the data already show that there is a differing chance* rate for both purchases. But that is just a sidenote. The trickier observation is what you get. Both images show that abilities are strongly favoured in the packs, where most players with some time invested are not looking for something that is maxed out at 3 ranks - but, Serration, Hornet Strike and Redirection, which have high ranks. Those come in way, way lower likelihoods.

I will summarize my own experiences of another undocumented 3k Plat spent on Mod packs with a simple line: Currently, mod packs are unrewarding, cruel and not recommandable. But, I think this can change.

[size=6]Proposition[/size]

~focussed and balanced mod packs~

Instead of the current bag of mixed goods, I suggest a shift to cater to both people intending to start a mod collection and to those finishing a certain branch. We have six groups of potential mods:

• Rifle
  • Shotgun
  • Pistol
  • Melee
  • Frame
  • Ability
Six is a nice number. This would bring my first proposed modpack into being:
  • Balanced Mod Pack - 1.0X Plat
    Contains 6x common mods, one of each main category. Has a chance to be uncommon or better.

This mod pack, as a basis, is a quick entry to get a handful mods for all items in the game - to start a collection. Steps upwards would be:

• Balanced 2 - 1.5X Plat, 1x UC, 5x C, chance.
  • Balanced 3 - 2.0X Plat, 1x R, 5x C, chance.
  • Balanced 4 - 2.5X Plat, 2x UC, 4x C, chance.
  • Balanced 5 - 3.0X Plat, 2x R, 4x C, chance.
X could be 35 Plat, for the added mod in the mix. Plat prices are DE's domain, let them figure it out. But, it would be a boring proposition if I'd end here. This step is just to keep the "Starting your mod collection!" angle open. Here's the beef of my idea: Focused mods.
  • Rifle Mod Pack - 1.0X Plat
    Contains 4x common mods, all rifle. Has a chance to be uncommon or better.

Obviously, this has it's equal steps up for a guaranteed higher chance of mods. This also allows to "farm" for Serration at Uncommon level.

• Rifle 2 - 1.5X Plat, 1x UC, 3x C, chance.
  • Rifle 3 - 2.0X Plat, 1x R, 3x C, chance.
  • Rifle 4 - 2.5X Plat, 2x UC, 2x C, chance.
  • Rifle 5 - 3.0X Plat, 2x R, 2x C, chance.
  • Similarily, add pistol, shotgun, melee, frame, ability packs.
  • Put all of these packs into their own shop category, freeing up "Equipment".

Now we can purchase mods from the section we are looking for mods. This makes it both more transparent on what we are going to get, we will not (emotionally) waste our "guaranteed Rare" on another Radial Disarm or the 5th Streamline when we are looking for Hell's Chamber.

/discuss :)

[size=2]* Only commons have a chance to be something better.[/size]
[size=2]*² We really need that reset, Steve.[/size]

I like the idea. You have a much better chance of getting a specific mod that you want. As it currently stands, I wouldn't consider spending platinum on the mod packs.

By the way, I think in both cases above, you intended the level 5 to be 2x rare rather than 2x uncommon, just like the Dragon pack.

I can definitely see the frustration in spending coin on the mod packs as they currently are and I think that weapon/warframe/set specific modpacks could increase the purchasing of platinum for the mod packs in general. 

There might need to be more rare mods before they could do this. Is Sundering Strike the only rare melee mod? Pistol has two (Seeker and Barrel Diffusion). Long Guns have three if you include the Paris, a couple more if you add in shotguns.

Truly Awesome !!! Just make it 2x rare instead of 2x uncommon and its damn near perfect !

I say "near perfect" cuz having an option to "directly" buy a specific mod without any catch is still a better option.

Edited by rksk16it

I like it, my first few bucks I spent was for mods as I was really lacking behind on fitting out my weapons at the start....I slapped on the power reactors and then found myself with a ton of points with no mods to put in

3 Mod packs in and I found just how useless the packs are for the price....really dissapointed

DE should change it and I like your idea, and the more plat people want to spend, the more $$$ they get, so I cant really see a downside

Maybe to make farming a little bit tougher, and getting more packs sold overal, weapons should go into pairs....like Rife or Shotgun pack....pistol and melee pack etc

You could do this with warframes as well..... maybe have 3 sets of frame types..... Utlility Frame Pack, Offense Pack, Defense Pack with sentintal mods being mixed into that bunch as well

There might need to be more rare mods before they could do this. Is Sundering Strike the only rare melee mod? Pistol has two (Seeker and Barrel Diffusion). Long Guns have three if you include the Paris, a couple more if you add in shotguns.

shhh if you highlight this fact too much De might get called on bloating the hell out of  the rare mode tables..

still 5 random modes  that exclude abilities would be amazing

shhh if you highlight this fact too much De might get called on bloating the hell out of the rare mode tables..

still 5 random modes that exclude abilities would be amazing

What if there were simply a weapon mod pack, instead of packs for specific weapons. That might be more likely to be implemented. Edited by MisguidedGT

What if there were simply a weapon mod pack, instead of packs for specific weapons. That might be more likely to be implemented.

As long as ten thousand different mods are not competing against a rare slot (which is the case at the moment), its all fine.

I'd just like to clarify that I did not write down the mods. I simply took the screenshots and spent the Plat (I'm gonna be sacrificing all my progress so far with a reset on U8, so it's all good I hope). A fellow clan member or two wrote down and crunched the numbers.

Thanks for showing us what is most likely in the packs Ced^^

May the reset come for you soon =)

To be true, I was never a friend of the mod packs. I dont know what I pay for. So I dont really like this "luck based" purchases.

What if there were simply a weapon mod pack, instead of packs for specific weapons. That might be more likely to be implemented.

Maybe to make farming a little bit tougher, and getting more packs sold overal, weapons should go into pairs....like Rife or Shotgun pack....pistol and melee pack etc

You could do this with warframes as well..... maybe have 3 sets of frame types..... Utlility Frame Pack, Offense Pack, Defense Pack with sentintal mods being mixed into that bunch as well

Sentinel Mods do not come from mod packs at all, currently. They'd need their own pack.

But: If you are splitting this up again, into "weapon packs", you are working against the reason why the current mod packs are borked. Why would I spend, say, 60 Plat (== three potatoes) on 5 mods that aren't even for the weapon I want mods for? No thanks. It's still a raffle anyway. It needs to be "specific", or there is no tangible allure to such a purchase.

I'm pretty sure you just ousted yourself from ever joining warbros just there.

You must be new around here. That has been my headlining thing ever since Windbow called my a lolcat.

I'd just like to clarify that I did not write down the mods. A fellow clan member or two wrote down and crunched the numbers.

Will correct the OP, sorry about the misleading info, then.

But: If you are splitting this up again, into "weapon packs", you are working against the reason why the current mod packs are borked. Why would I spend, say, 60 Plat (== three potatoes) on 5 mods that aren't even for the weapon I want mods for? No thanks. It's still a raffle anyway. It needs to be "specific", or there is no tangible allure to such a purchase.

I was looking for a compromise of some sort, since I can't see them implementing this with the small number of rare mods currently available for the weapon groups. Might as well have platinum purchases for specific mods (and I know some people have suggested that).

I was looking for a compromise of some sort, since I can't see them implementing this with the small number of rare mods currently available for the weapon groups. Might as well have platinum purchases for specific mods (and I know some people have suggested that).

I still cant understand why mods are not available for platinum straightaway. They can keep them costly, say 1000 plat for a specific rare mod, no gambling, no traps, no catch. I know there are people who will buy every mod they can with platinum only, but I am also sure there are lots of platinum buyers who wont just spend 1k on every mod they need. Like me, for example, I need 2-3 rare mods, if they are there for 1k, I will maybe buy 1, and rest I will farm.

I dont think that will be a pay-to-win scenario, rather pay-to-save-time. This game isnt a pvp after all, so its not like a player with more mods will be able to harrass/kill/destroy any other player(s).

I like this idea, I would also like to see Fusion cores added to this mix, in my opinion a fusion core would still be better than getting a common mod that you already have loads off. Even some of the uncommon ones I'd rather get a fusion core than a mod.

I think I got around 500 mods or so now, and mostly use fusion cores to max out any mod, only keep all the duplicates for the times that I might use one of the other mods.

I've only bought one mod pack since I started playing and both the rares was warframe mods that I already had maxed out, so I never saw any point of getting more mod packs. If this would be implemented it would peak my interest to buy more mod packs.

I've only bought one mod pack since I started playing and both the rares was warframe mods that I already had maxed out, so I never saw any point of getting more mod packs. If this would be implemented it would peak my interest to buy more mod packs.

Same happened to me, I am not buying anymore. 90 platinum for something I dont need is a bit too much.

Edited by rksk16it

• 3 weeks later...
Guest InfluenceDevice

I bought a couple as a test. Warframe mods need to be removed from the "rare reward" category. You get them when you buy or build a warframe, making them not just common, but guaranteed.